It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 11th, 2019, 5:44 am

From what I read, yes TLK 2 Simba’s Pride was the highest selling direct to video sequel back then, even surpassing Aladdin 2: The Return of Jafar, which was the first direct to video sequel ever released. I still have all TLK2 merchandises I bought at the Disney Store and looking back at it, Disney did seem to spend a lot of money on promoting the movie.

That’s so great to know about TLK blu rays. I’m about to complete my blu-ray collection, including the sequels, and I look forward to getting the 2019 version too.

Beyonce said in one of the interviews that she would want to return (same with the other cast members) so hopefully a TLK2 can be in the works.[/quote]
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Elton John » October 11th, 2019, 6:28 am

i havent done the research yet. i forgot.

got the digital itunes version, will watch tomorrow, then watch again next week with audio commentary and eventually dig into the various extras.

I did cheat a little and skip to the end of the audio commentary as I was a little curious about something. Jon makes no mention if the cub at the end is Kiara or even its gender. Disappointing :/ Hopefully when I watch the full commentary I will get some juicy tidbits.

edit - and another thing, tlk made it back to the top 10 list in the us box office yesterday. almost 3 months in and people are still seeing it in theaters. dem legs dem legs dem legs.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 11th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Extras are always great to watch. Thanks for sharing the last part of the commentary. Wish there's a clarification. If TLK2 is a go, hope Jon will be back in the director's seat.

Yay for TLK making it back to the Top 10 list. I think it's shaping up to be Disney's best live action remake (along with Aladdin) as far as box office goes (and quality).
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » October 11th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I think Petes Dragon might be Disneys best Live remake, mainly because I have little fondness for the original and thought the remake was fascnating.

I love the tlk remake but at the same time I had a lot of expectations for it that I hope would have been met but weren’t. Like, I kinda wish they expanded on Nala, Sarabi and Sarafinas roles a lot more - gave Sarabi her own song, give Nala her own song that is an actual musical number.

I kinda also wanted them to mix elements of tlk2 and the lion guard into it. I realize this is a bit unrealistic but a remake is the perfect opportunity to do such a thing.

Another big thing is that they did absolutely nothing to make it seem like Simba and Nala aren’t siblings. I swear if I read one more comment on the internet about them being brother and sister i’m going to lose my bloody mind.

But as it is I love the movie and think most of the criticisms are overblown.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Pete's Dragon definitely deserves more love.

Sarabi I did expect to see more of, though I was glad they did expand upon her role including the interactions with Scar. She did deserve her own song yes. Oh yeah those Simba and Nala comments are tiring to see.

I hope there will be quite a few deleted scenes on the DVD/Blu-ray. Curious if there are more original scenes they shot that didn't make it to the movie.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » October 11th, 2019, 5:08 pm

There are no deleted scenes on the itunes extras but itunes doesn’t always have all the movie extras. If there are deleted scenes hopefully they are in the physical release.

Also one of the digital preorder bonus extras is nowhere to be seen. My friend who also did a digital preorder doesn’t have it :/
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 11th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Aww /: I think they will show up on DVD/Blu-ray, though. Billy Eichner mentioned in one of the London premiere interviews that there were a number of cut scenes that may be featured when the DVD gets released. Hopefully that'll happen.

I'm also curious what the original cast think of the new movie. They've given blessings to the new cast and trusted Jon with his work, so I hope Entertainment Weekly or any other media would do another round of interviews to follow up on their comments. That'd be fun to see. :)
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » October 12th, 2019, 12:11 am

Rewatching the movie reminded me of how astronomical this movie is on a technical level. I remember 10+ years ago people constantly said that we would never get rid of the ‘uncanny valley’ feel in cgi, and yet here we are. There is still room for improvement, there always will be, but this movie does what almost all other movies with cgi have failed to achieve. I mean if you were to travel 20 years ago, show people this movie and tell them the animals in it were real actors..... they wouldnt believe you but they would think that they look like real, actual animal actors if such things existed.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 14th, 2019, 9:31 am

Yes that makes sense. This remake did it for me, and I personally enjoyed it more than "The Jungle Book", although Jon Favreau did great with that one too.

I look forward to the Target edition of the new "The Lion King" DVD/Blu-ray set with a bonus gallery book. The gallery book looks appealing.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » November 4th, 2019, 9:16 pm

the ‘honest trailer’ is tomorrow. better be funny. the one they did for tlk 1994 was funny but the one they did for the aladdin remake wasn’t as they focused more on the circumstances around the movie than the movie itself while the ht for aladdin 1992 was funny.
Elton John
I’m with you

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)