Beep Prepared?

Beep Prepared?

Postby Nitrol » May 12th, 2013, 12:34 pm

So I was watching "Coyote and RoadRunner".

Then I've found this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkduh1CGK1E
"Beep Prepared"... yeah, it's just a coincidence... I thought so too, at first.

But then, at 1:25...
Nope, It CAN'T be just a coincidence:

Even clouds in "Coyote and RoadRunner" are crescent shaped!
Apparently TLK creators were fans of "Coyote and RoadRunner". ;D
Nitrol

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nit, Mosi
Pride Points: 9

Re: Beep Prepared?

Postby MooLion » May 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm

That is coincidental! I'm sure a lot of the animators and designers will have seen the Looney Tunes cartoons in their childhood, so maybe someone was particularly inspired by Road Runner cartoons and that episode without realising it (it would take one concept designer with that influence to be developed onwards). :D
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby cleargreenwater » May 12th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Ahhahaha, you know, I know they did a LOT of artistic research into landscape artists, I seriously doubt they ever caught this though! I'll be damned, I bet it was floating around in there subconsciously in the animator's minds somewhere. I find that there's a sort of spontaneous recall of images that doesn't happen as much with words, I've drawn things only to realize months later that the trigger for a visual element came from something else I saw.

I wonder if anyone involved in the Be Prepared sequence ever caught on :D

(Also, Nitrol, you and your penchant for screencaps, only you would spot that, lol.)
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby TheLionPrince » May 12th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Like MooLion said, I'm sure the filmmakers saw Looney Tunes cartoons when they were young, but I doubt they took inspiration from the cartoon. The filmmakers actually based their landscapes seen in the movie on their safari trip to Hell's Gate National Park in Kenya.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DreamEater » May 14th, 2013, 9:23 pm

I'd be rather funny if they did it on purpose, I know that! Well if they did or didn't, it was a nice find.
DreamEater
HEY IT'S ALRIGHT

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

MY LIFE HAS NEVER BEEN A BED OF ROSES

Pride Points: 29

Postby FlipMode » May 14th, 2013, 9:59 pm

[quote]So I was watching "Coyote and RoadRunner".[/quote]

You. Are. THE. MAN! <3

I don't know... I mean it looks more like a resemblance than a direct reference, but you never know it could have been an artist with a similar art design style. And I mean, they are both cartoon mountains, its not like it would be impossible for them to look the similar.

If this were an episode of mythbusters, this would be one of those "Well, that's totally plausible." episodes.... AndTheyTheyWouldProllyBlowItUp
But I don't think it looks similar enough to be much else other than a coincidence. But it is well spotted.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » May 14th, 2013, 10:07 pm

^ Okay, but what about the title? Beep Prepared? That's what makes me think this isn't a coincidence.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 14th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Well I don't think the man / people who named the song "Be Prepared", were the same ones who named the episode of this cartoon.
It was probably written before the mountain was drawn or designed too. I believe, in film making, the script always comes first, right? The picture is matched to the voice recordings rather than the other way around. If I think the picture is a coincidence, then it stands to reason I think the title of the song is also a coincidence since that would have come first before the picture.
Then again, that is based on my understanding of how these things work.

I could understand if Road Runner was made by Disney.

Then again, according to Wikipedia (so to be taken with a grain of salt) I may have found something that links this screencap to TLK, or at the least Disney.
The director of the episode was Chuck Jones, a pioneer of animation and cartoon art.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Jones#Later_years

[quote]In his later years, Jones became the most vocal alumnus of the Termite Terrace studio, frequently giving lectures, seminars, and working to educate newcomers in the animation field. Many of his principles, therefore, found their way back into the mainstream animation consciousness, and can be seen in films such as The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch.[/quote]

Also - [quote]Through the 1980s and 1990s, Jones was painting cartoon and parody art, sold through animation galleries by his daughter's company, Linda Jones Enterprises.[/quote]

Could that maybe be where this mountain in Be Prepared came from? It sounds likely. Also TLK had like 600 animators, artists, etc working on it over production which I suppose gives the reference more credibility.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Return to Beyond The Lion King