The 1995 Sotheby's Lion King Auction

The 1995 Sotheby's Lion King Auction

Postby Noah » December 27th, 2011, 6:08 am

I was wondering if any of you had heard of this before. Apparently, 256 pieces of original production art from The Lion King was auctioned off in February 1995.

image courtesy of the los angeles daily news archives: show

The sale was a huge success, bringing in around $2 million dollars that all went to charity. Each piece of art cost somewhere in the $25,000 range.

image courtesy of newspaperarchive.com: show

I also was wondering if anyone had the catalog they sold (copies were available for $25). You can find them listed on Ebay and Amazon, but I have only seen shots of the cover. I haven't been able to tell what pictures were sold.

CNN's Archives had a brief videoclip of the day of the auction. It at least gives a few images. I uploaded it to Youtube and apologize in advance for the watermark.

Does anyone happen to own the catalog? Or maybe even had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to attend the event? :P
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Re: The 1995 Sotheby's Lion King Auction

Postby Wrightfan » December 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Never heard of this until today.

Wonder how much those pieces of art go for now?
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby nathalie » December 29th, 2011, 4:54 pm

I never heard of this eather.

I love the Simba figure at the end of the clip!
nathalie
tlk soundtrack freak

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby aloobah » December 29th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Nope never heard of this. I wasn't even born so there's no way I could of gone. It would probably of been an amazing experience though. :sad:

I love the art, the figure of Simba at the end is so cute and it's the most detailed figure I've seen so far. :)
Image Image Image Image
aloobah

Pride Points: 3

Postby TheLionPrince » December 29th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Unfortunately, no; I was one-year-old when the auction took place. Never heard about until now.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Noah » December 29th, 2011, 9:35 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Unfortunately, no; I was one-year-old when the auction took place. Never heard about until now.[/quote]

I also would have been one years old. And three thousand miles away. :lol:
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Return to Beyond The Lion King