"Sarafina!" - 1992's movie

"Sarafina!" - 1992's movie

Postby Nitrol » December 18th, 2011, 12:25 am

I'm not sure where to post it..

[quote]Sarafina! is a South African musical by Mbongeni Ngema depicting students involved in the Soweto Riots, in opposition to apartheid. It was also adapted into a 1992 film starring Whoopi Goldberg and Leleti Khumalo. Sarafina! premiered on Broadway on January 28, 1988, at the Cort Theatre, and closed on July 2, 1989, after 597 performances and 11 previews. The musical was conceived and directed by Mbongeni Ngema, who also wrote the book, music, and lyrics. The play was first presented at The Market Theatre, Johannesburg, South Africa, in June 1987. The cast included Leleti Khumalo as Sarafina.[/quote]

[quote]"Sarafina! is a 1992 South African film starring Leleti Khumalo, Whoopi Goldberg, Miriam Makeba, John Kani and Tertius Meintjies.The plot centers on students involved in the Soweto Riots, in opposition to the implementation of Afrikaans as the language of instruction in schools. The character Sarafina (Leleti Khumalo) feels shame at her mother's (Miriam Makeba) acceptance of her role as domestic servant in a white household in apartheid South Africa, and inspires her peers to rise up in protest, especially after her inspirational teacher, Mary Masombuka (Whoopi Goldberg) is imprisoned.[/quote]

So... that's from where Sarafina gets she's name. :-o
My vision of that how makers of the movie came up with the idea of her name:
*deadline for movie credits*
filmmaker1: Wait a sec! We didn't have a name for Nala's mother! Any ideas...?
filmmaker2: Nope D: A contract with our Swahili translator has ended about a half year ago.
filmmaker3: I have an idea! *goes to the phone and dials* -Whoopi? Hi! You have played in one African movie... what is that called? I mean NOT The Lion King of course...
Whoopi: "Sarafina!" But why are you asking?
filmmaker3: No reason... I... I just want to watch it! Thanks - you helped me a lot!
Whoopi: No problem, bye!

XD
Last edited by Nitrol on December 18th, 2011, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitrol

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nit, Mosi
Pride Points: 9

Re: "Sarafina!" - 1992's movie

Postby Woeler » December 18th, 2011, 12:32 am

Good find
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby TemptationWand » December 18th, 2011, 7:47 am

That's a good find but I don't see how that has much relevence in this forum.
TemptationWand

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -1

Postby TemptationWand » December 18th, 2011, 8:15 am

Oh never mind, sorry for confusion. How do I delete the above post?
TemptationWand

Pride Points: -1

Postby TheLionPrince » December 19th, 2011, 3:17 am

I'm no stranger to this! The 1992 movie w/ Whoopi Goldberg was actually adapted from a 1987 Broadway musical.

For more, read the Wikipedia page on it!

[quote="Nitrol"]
So... that's from where Sarafina gets she's name. :-o
My vision of that how makers of the movie came up with the idea of her name:
*deadline for movie credits*
filmmaker1: Wait a sec! We didn't have a name for Nala's mother! Any ideas...?
filmmaker2: Nope D: A contract with our Swahili translator has ended about a half year ago.
filmmaker3: I have an idea! *goes to the phone and dials* -Whoopi? Hi! You have played in one African movie... what is that called? I mean NOT The Lion King of course...
Whoopi: "Sarafina!" But why are you asking?
filmmaker3: No reason... I... I just want to watch it! Thanks - you helped me a lot!
Whoopi: No problem, bye!

XD[/quote]

Very funny! :lol:

[quote="TemptationWand"]Oh never mind, sorry for confusion. How do I delete the above post?[/quote]

Welcome to My Lion King forum, TemptationWand! :D I'm sorry, but you cannot delete a post you make unless you are a moderator. Read here for more. However, you can edit a post after you submit it.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Return to Beyond The Lion King