The Prettiest Lioness

Re: The Prettiest Lioness

Postby Flowertall » September 13th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I don`t see anything wrong with debating, as long as it`s substantive. No name calling or flaming or shouting. I guess the question remains when beauty is relative and when it isn`t. It`s bedtime for me soon now.
They hate each other`s guts
Flowertall

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Misiziri » September 13th, 2011, 10:38 pm

What do you mean by relative :P

And good night, sweet dreams ~
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby Flowertall » September 13th, 2011, 10:41 pm

[quote="Cherish"]Beauty is relative in the TLK universe? clarify for sillyfolk like me xD[/quote]

Did you mean that it`s clearly relative for folks like you, or that I should clarify what it means?

In case you mean the latter, when something is relative means that there is no absolute truth. One`s opinion is just as good as another. So when in somebody`s opinion Zira is prettier than Nala, that is just as valid as somebody who thinks the opposite. It probably is.
Flowertall

Postby Misiziri » September 13th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Indeed, it most certainly is, beauty is relevant. Some people just see different things. Perhaps someone sees red as more beautiful than blue because their first blanket was red and it gives them sweet thoughts. You know what I'm saying? Just something in the mind that influences how beauty is percieved, if that makes any sense.
Misiziri

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby Maleficent » September 13th, 2011, 10:46 pm

[quote="Flowertall"][quote="Cherish"]I'm sorry, but yes that is somewhat incomparable :P

Dude, it's just opinions. People see different things in different characters. I admire your smarts, but you're overanalzying it.

Zira is an animated character. Of course she's not going to look that atrocious :P In fact, I'd give this comparison: Tall, thin, lanky, wild looking cat as oppsed to a thicker, more muscular lighter cat.[/quote]

Yeah, no point in analyzing this to death, it`s just fictional characters. I promise I`m gonna calm down after this, but now you see things from my viewpoint. Both you and scargirl look at the first cat and immediately think it`s ugly, just like I do when I see Zira.

What would you think if somebody said that the first is prettier than the last one? I`m sure there are some who thinks the first cat is prettier, its owners must like the cat.

When you both said that the first cat is definitively ugly, and the last one is pretty, you both admitted that to a certain extent, beauty isn`t something relative. And that`s what I`m trying to get through.

I`m gonna cool it now. I guess one can say that in The Lion King universe, beauty IS relative.[/quote]

I still say that example isn't really relative because Zira isn't that ugly. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I mean, someone can find something else pretty that someone else might not like. So it is all opinions.
C'est le sentiment solitaire dans le monde - de vous trouver debout quand tout le monde est assis.
Pour avoir tout le monde vous regarde et dire «ce qui est de la question avec elle?" Je sais ce qu'on ressent.
Marcher dans une rue vide, écoutant le bruit de vos propres pas. Volets fermés, rideaux tirés, portes verrouillées contre vous.
Et vous ne savez pas si vous êtes à marcher vers quelque chose, ou si vous êtes juste de s'éloigner.

Spoiler: show
Maleficent
خودکشی یک راه حل دائمی است

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ఒంటరిగా శాశ్వతంగా

Nickname(s): Mal, Jen, Enna
Pride Points: 77

Postby Flowertall » September 14th, 2011, 7:08 am

[quote="Cherish"]Indeed, it most certainly is, beauty is relevant. Some people just see different things. Perhaps someone sees red as more beautiful than blue because their first blanket was red and it gives them sweet thoughts. You know what I'm saying? Just something in the mind that influences how beauty is percieved, if that makes any sense.[/quote]

It`s not entirely relative, because both you and scargirl looked at the first cat and immediately thought that it`s ugly. If beauty was relative, then you wouldn`t have been able so clearly to distinguish the pretty cat from the ugly one.

You say later that you wouldn`t have a problem if somebody thinks the first cat is prettier than the last, and I believe you, but your first thought was that that cat is ugly. And the first reaction is the right one, as in that`s what you really think. So sometimes, there is no question about what is ugly and what is pretty.

So, in short, you think that in the lionesses` case, beauty is relative, but I don`t. And I accept that now.
Flowertall

Postby Flowertall » September 14th, 2011, 7:15 am

[quote="ScarGirl99"]I still say that example isn't really relative because Zira isn't that ugly. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I mean, someone can find something else pretty that someone else might not like. So it is all opinions.[/quote]

At least now you see things from my viewpoint. You`re saying yourself that the first cat is ugly, no question about it. So you would scratch your head if somebody thinks the first cat is prettier than the last one. Just like I do when you say Zira is prettier than Nala.
Flowertall

Postby Miharuka » September 14th, 2011, 5:57 pm

*Thinks thinks thinks thinks*
Hmm..so in other words..that's just what you call an opinion, right?
Miharuka
Look at the TIME !!

Time for pizzer.

Nickname(s): Miha, Little POOTIS
Pride Points: 59

Postby Flowertall » September 14th, 2011, 6:55 pm

[quote="Phantomhive"]*Thinks thinks thinks thinks*
Hmm..so in other words..that's just what you call an opinion, right?[/quote]

Yes, and I believe it`s best to leave it at that.
Flowertall

Postby Awali » September 18th, 2011, 5:50 am

Nala all the way.

We press play, don't press pause.
Progress, march on.
With the veil over our eyes,
we turn our back on the cause.
'Till the day that my uncles can be united by law,
when kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart.
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are.
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all,
but it's a good place to start.
Awali

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Awali, Rj.

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Lion King