[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - thoughts on the Circle of Life Zulu lyrics — My Lion King Forum

thoughts on the Circle of Life Zulu lyrics

thoughts on the Circle of Life Zulu lyrics

Postby Gaze » May 9th, 2016, 12:27 am

Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Re: thoughts on the Circle of Life Zulu lyrics

Postby Amur_Tiger » May 9th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Funnily the last bit of the interchangeability of 'King' and 'Lion' strikes me as the least surprising given there's similar consideration towards tigers by the cultures of Asia.

Otherwise that's neat stuff, though do we have a complete and accurate translation now with that commentary from the Zulu speaker?
Amur_Tiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby TheLionPrince » May 12th, 2016, 8:23 pm

You do have a very compelling argument about the African lyrics of "Circle of Life". I do know Hans Zimmer said some of the African lyrics were supposed to be political on the 2011 bonus feature "Pride of The Lion King", but he may be referring to the song "Busa" with the translated context to mean rule the land. Lebo himself confirmed the music "was inspired by my South African roots" to The Sydney Morning Herald, which isn't saying much. Nevertheless, his roots are very much tied into apartheid-ridden South Africa and his admiration for the late Nelson Mandela, and Mandela has been often known to be "the Father" by his Xhosa clan name in which the lyrics of "Busa" may be referring to ("Shwele baba" means "Hail to you, Father"). Again, I was probably no help, but it's my own little theory.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 150

Postby Squeely » July 26th, 2016, 9:54 am

I always figured it was fairly simplistic because chants kinda have to be. Hard to chant entire paragraphs, y'know? Kudos to you and all the research you did. It's awesome to learn about the deeper meanings hidden within.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Return to The Lion King