Does cub Simba have a undeserved bad reputation?

Re: Does cub Simba have a undeserved bad reputation?

Postby FireAndSun » August 26th, 2015, 4:10 am

I feel that how someone feels about cub Simba will be influenced by how they feel about kids. Like Julie pointed out, as a cub Simba is bratty and selfish, but he isn't a bad guy. He's just a kid, and kids are definitely known for their selfish and immature tendencies. It isn't their fault of course. That's just how kids are. Most of them mature out of it, but it's definitely understandable why someone might not like kids because of it.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby TheWhistlerify » August 29th, 2015, 8:45 pm

He's definitely not a bad guy IMO. Like you said he is a kid and kids be kids. You can't blame someone young for not having the understandings of an adult. Sure he is bratty, but many kids are like that and confidence is a very important thing growing up. Plus I wouldn't say he's selfish as a cub, seeing how he comes to Nala's rescue in the Elephant Graveyard without thinking twice not to mention stands between her and the hyenas when they get cornered. The two of them also go back for Zazu when they get separated earlier on in that scene. Someone selfish would at least have the slightest doubt when rushing in for the safety of others, but Simba doesn't seem deterred in the slightest.

You can see during the stampede when Mufasa comes to rescue him that he's very concerned for his father's safety. His love for Mufasa clearly manifests in how deeply he blames himself for his death because of Scar's manipulation. Even before his uncle talks to him in the gorge soon after his father's death, Simba's already pointing out that Mufasa was trying to save him - meaning that he already understands to a certain degree that, hadn't he been in trouble, his father would still be alive.

I dunno about all of you, but I've never seen any hate for cub Simba at all.
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Postby cubbykovu » September 1st, 2015, 12:54 pm

I love Cub Simba ^_^ he is fun and playful sure he might be a bit of a spoilt brat but most cubs are they don't understand and it is a survival of the fittest and pat of that fittest comes with knowing how to manipulate things to your advantage and get your own way and having the confidence to do things.
cubbykovu

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): CK, Cub
Pride Points: 3

Postby NaiaRulez » September 19th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Simba was just a curious and adventurous child who wanted to know more than he would have to know. The fact his father told him to not go to the "Dark place" and then his uncle Scar telling him it was a place that is very dangerous makes his curiosity hungry, like it does to any inconscient kid. Simba as a cub didn't knew what was danger exactly because he never had the experience of it, his family has him protected of any dangerous things for being the prince and future king of the Pridelands.
After going to the elephant graveyard, Simba really knew what's danger in first place, that means why as older he's over-protective with her daughter, he doesn't want her to suffer like he has done.
In case of Mufasa's death, he didn't cause it; that Scar told him it was his fault is a thing, now the reality is another thing apart.
Scar lied Simba about the stampede telling him it would be a fabulous surprise (as Simba expected and understood from Scar words in the scene), so Simba, as a kid and after what happened to the elephant graveyard, decides to obey Scar, which was a wrong way to choose.
I don't think Simba deserves a bad-reputation, he's only a child and everyone knows that a child gets to know new things through the time and his education.
NaiaRulez

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Naia, Nai
Pride Points: 11

Postby PrincessKiara » September 19th, 2015, 10:07 pm

I don`t feel Cub Simba has a really bad reputation. There are some moments where he`s annoying, bratty, rude and such, but it makes sense for both a young cub and such a priviliged one. Such as when he brags about becoming a mighty and powerful king one day, or how he nags Mufasa (and head butts him in the face) to get up in the morning because he made a promise. And when he pounces on Zazu (which was never one of my favourite moments) he does it with Mufasas approval and encouragement.

Cub Simba is not supposed to be perfect, as it`s already been stated, but he also can`t be downright unlikeable or unsympathetic. And he`s not. It`s a realistic childish portrayal, and Cub Simba does have some really great moments, such as saving Cub Nalas life and defending Zazu, proving that although he may tease the bird, he does have some affection for him deep down.. He certainly wouldn`t allow the hyenas to kill Zazu.
Sure Simba disobeys his father and lies to his mother and uncle and puts his best friend in mortal danger. But it makes for an interesting character with depth, dramatic scenes and a compelling story.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby it means no worries » October 12th, 2015, 11:04 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]He is bratty and selfish, but I have rarely seen anyone hate him for it.[/quote]

I shall point you in the direction of youtuber Confused Matthew :P
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby DGFone » October 13th, 2015, 6:31 am

I just wondered:

I think most parents agree that they really have enough of loud, adventurous, misbehaving children in the form of their own kids. When they go to the movies, even if it's a family movie, do they really want to see more of what they already have to deal with on a regular basis?

The reason why I ask this is because I get the impression that when people say that they don't like cub Simba because of him acting... like anyone of that age, what they are really saying is that they are not particularly fond of the idea of such a character being in a movie - a form of escapism for many people to get away out of the hectic and demanding responsibilities of real life.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Ultra Fox » October 15th, 2015, 4:54 am

I really think that Disney was just showing the audience that kids will be kids. Kids can be selfish, obnoxious, and rebellious.

Cub Simba is also not so bad that he's irredeemable. He clearly feels wrong for the things he did, so he's not completely oblivious to consequence. Honestly adult Simba (before he realizes he's in the wrong) is worse than Cub Simba for letting his pride be stuck under Scar's rule. Even in that instance, though, it's to contrast with when he learns his lesson and finally faces his fears.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » December 6th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I don't think Simba was all that bad, honestly.

Sure, he might have been super excited about the fact that he was going to be the next king, and he might have allowed it to get to his head a little, but come on - he is just a cub. How would your 10 y/o self act if they found out they were the future heir to a kingdom. I know I would have been as obnoxious as ;) ...
Most people point out his behavior towards Scar and Zazu, but I don't believe they are putting themselves in Simba's shoes. He probably expected his uncle to be happy for him, and he obviously likes Scar a lot judging by their interaction. As for Zazu, well, it looks like Zazu is in charge of teaching him some things about his behavior and looking out for him, and that annoys Simba because he is standing in his way of having fun. If you had that one boring nanny that always kept you away from mischief, would you like that? Besides, Simba obviously cares about Zazu enough not to leave him behind, and there is some negativity for Simba's antics from Zazu's side too. All in all, I don't think Simba's behavior is in any way overdone with childish selfishness, especially if we take in Nala, Sarabi, Timon, Pumba, Sarafina... all who Simba seems to respect.

One thing that I've noticed that people rage quite a bit about Simba being a selfish brat, but when it comes to Kopa, who generally shows even worse behavior, people are more forgiving. Why? :kionugh:
Amadi_the_Guard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby Carl » December 6th, 2015, 8:17 pm

^ Because to those people, Kopa may as well be Jesus.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King