Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm?

Re: Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm

Postby Timon the great » March 21st, 2014, 7:20 am

I can't say if it was good or bad that Simba roared during a storm. But with the weather and T-storm enthusiast that I am (I look at this stuff all the time and when storms happen where I live), lightning can actually strike any where as I've already seen a few times from my own eyes. And the scene where lightning strikes the dry brush below the promontory of Pride Rock pretty much says this and I'm glad the creators followed suit on this reality.

But then again, when Simba is walking up on the promontory after the battle, the storm (which could've actually been a multicellular type) was pretty much weakening overhead and "the hole in the sky" scene shows this well. The thunder rumbling in the background during when Mufasa says "Remember", was pretty awesome. And this is an iconic scene to me that I definitely remember seeing at the very beginning when I first saw TLK 1 in theaters back in '94.

What's interesting though is that turbulent weather happens in all three films and even more, the characters don't even seem to be affected or startled by the rain and lightning going on right around them at all! But I guess when you're physically a non-human animal, you don't need to worry about the weather in any way. Image

The thing about lightning hitting only the tallest object around is not accurate. Now, the tallest object around usually does have the greatest risk of being struck, but that doesn't mean everything else is protected from lightning unless it's grounded (eg. not allowing an opposite charge of the storm cloud to accumulate on it which allows something known as a "step leader" to form the actual lightning strike). I remember having to talk about this when I did a presentation for my speech class that I took about 1.5 years ago and boy, was that a trip. Image

[quote="DGFone"]As a friend of mine pointed out: Sure, when Simba was roaring, he wasn't at the very top of Pride Rock. But when he was fighting Scar, the two of them were. Plus, the wood there was burned, so clearly lightning struck that place at least once before. How come no one got hit then?[/quote]
If both Simba and Scar were directly struck by a positively charged lightning strike in their final battle, then that would've been it for this TLK film's running time. Image

*lightning strikes them {1 second later, title logo pops up and boom}:
"THE LION KING" *
On a side note, I know some on here may not like what I'm going to say here, but I don't see what's so fascinating about the scene where Simba roars on Pride Rock. Even though I do know what it means. It just never really moves me or ever has. But the following scene (COL Reprise), does.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Re: Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm

Postby Perrys Girlfriend » May 12th, 2014, 10:34 pm

I t wasn't exactly thundering while Simba was roaring, it was just raining. But, I can see why you would be concerned about him getting hit.
I forever remember my grandfather, Scott, who died on August 10, 2015 at the age of 60. R.I.P
Perrys Girlfriend
Robert Muldoon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He saved lives by giving his

Nickname(s): Sam, Samie, Sammi Jo, JP candy warden :D
Pride Points: 19

Previous

Return to The Lion King