[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - New changes that are going to happen — My Lion King Forum

New changes that are going to happen

Re: New changes that are going to happen

Postby FlipMode » February 8th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I mean, it is like... I don't know, I can see how this could be good, and I can also see how some of it could cause problems. But what people are not realising, is that if it does cause problems, the staff can always adjust to counter them at that point, like Blake pointed out. And it doesn't really apply to older members other than having stricter staff, no more immature butthurt drivel in the smarty pants discussions, and a clean up of the Off Topic areas and even then, we can still make new threads but IF it has a big "Spam Me" sign on it, the staff will close it and rightfully so.

The shift of focus from Off Topic discussion, to TLK discussion is also going to save a lot of the drama, which has always stemmed from either mod promotions, or off topic discussions. And I mean I remember when QueenSummer was the latest poster in every TLK thread that there was lol, and that speaks volumes about the activity in those sections.

And picture it - if a new member joins and we welcome them saying "Ohai welcome to MLK, look forward to posting with you." and then never see them again. But now we know they will be heading for the TLK sections, and we can actually have communication with them. Making them feel more welcome (providing its not some random spammer and the posts have some thought into them), and also boosting TLK sections activity. You still have the choice not to and stick to OT areas, if you like.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Azdgari » February 8th, 2012, 3:23 pm

...well, that's rough for people like me. Fanfiction forum died a long time ago and now there's no debate/interesting discussion, soo...... x3

I mean it is what it is. I suppose it's good to shift the focus back to TLK since it's a TLK board. Problem is, a good, very good portion of the long standing community has pretty much openly admitted we really don't have anything more to say about TLK, and that's why we were hanging out in the den so much. I'm not sure where this movement of emphasis leaves us.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Noah » February 8th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Woeler » February 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm

[quote="KingKivuli"]
1. The arcade is going - There are so many un-needed game topics in there it just seems like a ton of spam. We are keeping a few of the best games though and moving them to the den but in general its just all going[/quote]

I don't see any reason at all to do this. There was an automatic script in the arcade that deleted topics after they had been inactive for 75 days. You may could have set it to 30 days instead. Moving those topics to the den will only create confusion, not to mention it will spam the den. In fact it's already spamming the den. The ''rate the siggy above you'' topic is already on top the whole time. All topics were placed in categories that were fine, why change them?

EDIT: Spam inbound, last person to post wins topic & Post random stuff game...

[quote="KingKivuli"]
2. Den cleaning - We are seriously going to sort it out it is so full of topics that just are not needed ever. Like when topics are made for.. idk exmaple 'look at the new toy i got my cat'.... why create a topic on that its not needed. Something like that can be posted in a general discussion thread it does not need a full topic[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing on this, but it could have happened way earlier. Instead the forum has always been locking topics. seriously? What is the purpose of locking them if we don't need them. Just delete them in the first place and send the creater as standard PM

[quote="KingKivuli"]
3. Smarty pants for is also going - This area has been the cause of so much drama seriously it needs to go. Just like the arcade some topics will be spared and moved to world issues (which will be getting a rename)[/quote]

Remove them? Topics like ''speed of light'' and ''evolution'' had some pretty good discussion going. I agree on forbidding religious or political discussion, yes they caused drama. And what about the post count of people? Mine will decrease dramatically if this will be deleted permanently, not to mention that I regularly came back here to view my arguments when I was discussing this somewhere else.

EDIT: I lost about 100 posts

[quote="KingKivuli"]
4. Following on from 3 - As just a general rule, no more topics on discussing religion or politics.. all it causes is drama so never again to be honest[/quote]

Agree 100%, people get offended VERY easily Sometimes I might have been too harsh :D

[quote="KingKivuli"]
5. Rule enforcing - We feel alot of the members are forgetting some of the rules here in regards to topic making and how 'your opinions' are worded so the staff are gonna be a bit harsher sorry to say. Same with topics. Once we have cleaned up if you start posting needless announcements, not needed games or political/religious threads. We will just step in to lock/delete them. You wont get punished for it (unless you start spamming)[/quote]

So I might get a pm about this post, simply because I'm stating my opinion. I've already had to deal with crap like this, but if we want to decend into dictatorship... fine, be my guest.

[quote="KingKivuli"]
6. General restriction - We have noticed that pretty much all new members are just making a bee line for the den/arcade and general OT areas of the forum. So sorry but a restriction is going to be put down. Until members have been on the forum for a month and have made a post count of 100 there will be no access to the den/arcade[/quote]

This sounds interesting, We'll see how it works out. I actually have some high hopes for this one.

Now that I'm finished I'm going to give you my idea of how this community is build up. It's not fact, it's a theory.
The thought that this forum's main part is still tlk is living in a delusion, because it's not. The strong pillars holding this forum up are the den and the members hq which are on their part based on groups of members (groups of friends)

I can't think of any TLK forum right now that is so active as this one. The formula for the success of MLK is simple, members are more interested is socializing than in TLK. It has died. I mean look at this forum. How many posts are the per day in the tlk section? (not counting the line by line and word association topics because they are not discussions). 20, maybe 30? Now look at the den. I guess it over 100 posts per day, maybe even far above that number. Simply eliminating things in the den will not bring most people back to TLK because that is not the reason they visit here so often. they visit here because the members are nice and to discus things that are all in the den and the members HQ.

the only option to get the TLK sections going again is to recruit new and interested people. This forum has roughly 150-200 regularly active users. Where are the other 1800? They are simply abanodoned accounts. My suggestion: deactivate them, they are of no use and if a members wants to come back the account can be activated again.

Alright so here is my beautiful *sarcasm* sketch on how I see MLK

What is happening now? the bottom pillars are being removed. We don't know how many pillars we have exactly, we don't know on how many pillars the construction can stand. All we know is that the construction will get less stable if we remove one or more pillars. Maybe we have already removed to many? And maybe the structure is already collapsing. We won't know, until it happens. We're just playing Jenga...

[quote="Noah"]
Actually we just made a new rule that says you can only create new den topics once a moderator approves it.[/quote]

[quote="Noah"]but it will most likely be a "be sure to send a PM before creating one" type of thing[/quote]
ridiculous, I have no other words for it. So I first have to send a pm to a mod, then wait until he/she replies and then I can create my topic. Just pointless and ridiculous

[quote="KingKivuli"]
how 'your opinions' are worded[/quote]

Oh dear. Here I go...
Last edited by Woeler on February 8th, 2012, 9:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » February 8th, 2012, 3:55 pm

[quote]Actually we just made a new rule that says you can only create new den topics once a moderator approves it.
[/quote]
Well now, that is stupid...
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Azdgari » February 8th, 2012, 3:59 pm

*peaces out*
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

Postby cleargreenwater » February 8th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Just don't rig it so new people bore me with a flood of "Simba is pretty" kibble posts in the TLK section, okay? :lol:

Really this place is just fine. The TLK tempo is grand for an old movie, the chit-chat is more active than other places, apparently there's a large capacity for extended socializing that I'm regretably but blissfully hazy on.

I never thought I'd be advocating people keeping it realistic, and I haven't seen anyone who hasn't been really, but always a good thing to reiterate.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby PrincessKiara » February 8th, 2012, 6:32 pm

I am positive to these changes.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Wrightfan » February 8th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Congrats to all who have been promoted and I completely agree with these changes.
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby Regulus » February 8th, 2012, 7:34 pm

[quote="WildSimba"]Because new members should be focusing on the TLK sections of the board. Otherwise, why would they of joined in the first place? [/quote]

Exactly. Most new members join to discuss TLK. In fact, the newer members are mostly the only ones posting in those sections.

A solution is being proposed to a solve a problem that doesn't exist.

And, if OT topics need to be approved first (which I approve of), then it's even less of a problem.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements