Zuka Zama Concept Version

Zuka Zama Concept Version

Postby TTB-Kun » January 19th, 2017, 10:51 am

https://soundcloud.com/roblerama/zuka-z ... ot-concept
found this from the fb fan page, i like the lyrics of this early version, but the general sound not too much
TTB-Kun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 11

Re: Zuka Zama Concept Version

Postby nalafan1 » January 19th, 2017, 6:26 pm

i like the lyrics but didn't like the music but then again i'm not too struck on bunga.
nalafan1

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 3

Postby Squeely » January 20th, 2017, 5:01 am

I prefer these lyrics, and the general Broadway-ness of it, but it definitely needs the quicker pace and punch that the final version has.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Carl » January 20th, 2017, 5:42 am

I liked that version well enough, the lyrics and the sound, but I definitely prefer the final version. This one seemed too slow and serene for the point it was trying to get across.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Troll Berserker » January 20th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I prefer the final version too. For a meaning of phrase like this, the old one was way too slow and peaceful.
But it's not bad. I liked the lyrics more.
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby Panpardus » January 21st, 2017, 6:45 am

I'm very mixed about this, actually. (I'm very mixed about "Zuka Zama" as a whole, if only because I still don't like Bunga all that much, though I'll admit the song has grown on me to the point where I'm able to look past Bunga himself and appreciate the actual music and arrangement.) I like that it's actually got a slower, more relaxed feel to it, which I'm sure I've said before is lacking in this show's musical numbers overall. Not everything has to be high-energy; it's part of what annoys me with little kid shows in general, especially those that have music. It's also got a better arrangement in my opinion; the key changes and the bridge are more appropriate here than they are in most of the other songs we've heard where those things happen, in part because those songs are generally very short and don't pace themselves well at all. I'm inclined to hope that they kept this arrangement and will use it for something else later on; it's not bad. (Sounds very parental, actually, like something Simba would sing to his cubs. Or maybe Nala could finally get a song with this if it's played with a bit more of a serious feel?) Plus its got better lyrics; it stays on topic situationally speaking (trying to convince Timon and Pumbaa to let him join the guard) and in doing so I'm actually more swayed into thinking "zuka zama" is actually a valid life philosophy.

On the other hand, the final version better matches Bunga's personality and general outlook on life. It's high-energy, fast, consistently loud (no dynamics at all), and is mercifully short enough to not drive anyone insane.

An afterthought I had about this: Beau Black had nothing to do with this version of the song -- it's credited to Kooman and Diamond (a musical writing duo) and sung by Sergi Robles (an actor/singer from Spain) -- so I was wondering if this meant that Disney put out a call for songwriters and then filtered through the submissions until they found the artist they liked most based on their work. It would be interesting to know who and how many people they scouted to do the musical numbers for this show (and makes me further wonder why didn't get an African musician, or at least someone more familiar with African music, to help make the songs feel more authentic).
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Return to The Lion Guard