What if they brought Scars Ghost back?

Re: What if they brought Scars Ghost back?

Postby Kallo » January 19th, 2017, 7:42 am

[quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Kallo"]they could probably rather easily get Jim Cummings. And I'd have NO issue with that. The fact that people still don't realise he entirely sang "Be Prepared" shows how close he can get to Irons' voice[/quote]

Actually Jeremy Irons sings "Be Prepared" Jim Cummings does not take over until after the line "Be prepared for the coup of the century". However as you said I never noticed this until I read about it on line. Therefore Jim Cummings could easily do Scar's voice. In fact didn't he do Scar's voice in Lion King 2 during Simba's nightmare?[/quote]

This is actually common misinformation. It's apparently somewhat of a purposefully kept secret by Disney that Irons didn't sing any of "Be Prepared". Jim Cummings hasn't talked about it a whole lot, but he has stated at a few convention panels and at least one podcast, when he was asked, that Irons was supposed to sing the song originally, but once he had sung a few lines in the studio, the voice directors could apparently "hear every Marlboro he had ever smoked" in the recording, so they asked Cummings to sing the whole song instead. Which he then did. Irons blowing out his voice after the "you won't get a sniff without me" line and then being replaced by Cummings for the final verse isn't true, but somehow became commonly accepted as fact after people spread it around online.

And yeah, he did do Scar's voice in TLK2. :)

[quote]Jim Cummings could be a good replacement, but isn't he retired from voicework?[/quote]

Not as far as I know. He's still doing voicework. Unless he has quit within the last year or so?
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby Elton John » January 19th, 2017, 8:34 am

Oh. News to me! I guess I just assumed that he retired back in the 90's :lol:

I barely pay attention to actors. Even the ones I like.

And yeah, a good friend of mine told me that he talked with jim at some kind of convention and he got the same story.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Sushi » January 19th, 2017, 8:11 pm

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]I've been thinking, and I also have this feeling that somehow some way there would be a special episode where they reintroduce Scar again, but as a haunting ghosts that causes terror among the pridelands? would it be cool if they did this, I really hope they do something like this, I mean how can they not if they mention him a couple of times through out the series as well as being a important part of the back story. :evil:[/quote]
Sounds like a Halloween type episode to me.

Either trying to manipulate Kion into trouble or just being menacing and ending up giving a "don't make my mistakes" message. (Which would be out of character for him but its more fitting to the lion guard overall)

[quote="SimbasGuard"]
I imagine Scar's ghost could appear to advise Zira. (because that would leave The Older Viewers, to wonder if Scar's Ghost actually appeared to Zira or is it a case of Zira sliding further into madness).

I could also see Scar appearing in a nightmare Kion is having.

One other (highly unlikely) theory I can imagine is Scar's Ghost appearing to Kovu in an effort to guide him down the path of evil, in opposed to Mufasa trying guide Kion down the path of good. The big problem is obviously that Scar can not appear in the sky as Mufasa does and since there are not any lava rivers or steam geysers in the part of The Outlands that The Outsiders live in. I have no idea where Scar could appear from[/quote]
I quite like this idea.
Sushi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Samaki
Telegram: @jagerleopard (https://telegram.me/jagerleopard)
Pride Points: 2

Postby Vorkey » January 20th, 2017, 2:53 am

He'd just get blown away by the roar like everyone else.
Vorkey

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Squeely » January 20th, 2017, 8:15 am

[quote="Carl"] And I do think it's very stupid that it's supposed to be the "Great Kings," plural, yet we only see Mufasa. Tbh I'd rather like a scene similar to the ones with Mulan's ancestors, because it doesn't make sense for Mufasa to be the only one we see if we're actually seeing the kings (which we are, because otherwise Kion would never see Mufasa, unlike Simba and Rafiki who knew him and could have simply imagined it or what have you, Kion seeing him confirms that the kings can appear before whomever they so choose).[/quote]
I second this. I've wanted to see more of Kion's ancestors for a while now. I'd love to learn who they were and what they were like.

As to the topic at hand, I think there are a lot of interesting places a "Scar's ghost" or something similar could go. Perhaps he could haunt Kion's dreams, like a sinister Luna from MLP. There is at least some evidence that Scar can appear; he appeared to Kovu in a puddle during "One of Us", and it's not likely that Kovu would have remembered what he looked like.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » January 20th, 2017, 2:20 pm

[quote="Kallo"]This is actually common misinformation. It's apparently somewhat of a purposefully kept secret by Disney that Irons didn't sing any of "Be Prepared". Jim Cummings hasn't talked about it a whole lot, but he has stated at a few convention panels and at least one podcast, when he was asked, that Irons was supposed to sing the song originally, but once he had sung a few lines in the studio, the voice directors could apparently "hear every Marlboro he had ever smoked" in the recording, so they asked Cummings to sing the whole song instead. Which he then did. Irons blowing out his voice after the "you won't get a sniff without me" line and then being replaced by Cummings for the final verse isn't true, but somehow became commonly accepted as fact after people spread it around online.[/quote] In truth I have heard Jim Cummings say this too (I think it was in a You Tube video) and I would like to think that he would not lie about it. However if one listens for it there is clearly an alteration in Scar's voice after the "Be prepared for the coup of the century line. If Jim Cummings was doing a flawless impression of Jeremy Irons up until that line. why was there an alteration is his voice at all. :?
Last edited by SimbasGuard on February 15th, 2017, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby KionScar » January 20th, 2017, 7:26 pm

[quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Kallo"]This is actually common misinformation. It's apparently somewhat of a purposefully kept secret by Disney that Irons didn't sing any of "Be Prepared". Jim Cummings hasn't talked about it a whole lot, but he has stated at a few convention panels and at least one podcast, when he was asked, that Irons was supposed to sing the song originally, but once he had sung a few lines in the studio, the voice directors could apparently "hear every Marlboro he had ever smoked" in the recording, so they asked Cummings to sing the whole song instead. Which he then did. Irons blowing out his voice after the "you won't get a sniff without me" line and then being replaced by Cummings for the final verse isn't true, but somehow became commonly accepted as fact after people spread it around online.[/quote] In truth I have heard Jim Cummings say this too (I think it was in a You Tube video) and I would like to think that he would not lie about it. However if one listens for it the is clearly an alteration in Scar's voice after the "Be prepared for the coup of the century line. If Jim Cummings was doing a flawless impression of Jeremy Irons up until that line. why was there an alteration is his voice at all. :?[/quote]

For me when I listen to it I do hear Irons up until that line "you won't get a sniff without me" and has seen/read/heard he damaged his vocal cords then thus they got Jim (voices Ed) to complete the rest of the song as it "Didn't feel/sound powerful enough"
KionScar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Postby Kallo » February 15th, 2017, 2:57 am

[quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Kallo"]This is actually common misinformation. It's apparently somewhat of a purposefully kept secret by Disney that Irons didn't sing any of "Be Prepared". Jim Cummings hasn't talked about it a whole lot, but he has stated at a few convention panels and at least one podcast, when he was asked, that Irons was supposed to sing the song originally, but once he had sung a few lines in the studio, the voice directors could apparently "hear every Marlboro he had ever smoked" in the recording, so they asked Cummings to sing the whole song instead. Which he then did. Irons blowing out his voice after the "you won't get a sniff without me" line and then being replaced by Cummings for the final verse isn't true, but somehow became commonly accepted as fact after people spread it around online.[/quote] In truth I have heard Jim Cummings say this too (I think it was in a You Tube video) and I would like to think that he would not lie about it. However if one listens for it the is clearly an alteration in Scar's voice after the "Be prepared for the coup of the century line. If Jim Cummings was doing a flawless impression of Jeremy Irons up until that line. why was there an alteration is his voice at all. :?[/quote]

Perhaps it's a psychological thing? You've thought that to be the case so you've started hearing it as such? :P

In fact, I've always heard his voice to be very slightly different during the entire song. After the "You won't get a sniff without me" line, his voice just turns rougher because the song requires it. I wouldn't know why Jim Cummings would be lying about it, and I doubt he is, since he always tells the story precisely the same way (meanwhile, Disney doesn't even really like to acknowledge Cummings singing half the song. It took long for them to properly admit it). Of course, it could be that Cummings doesn't even know which parts they ended up using in the final movie. It could be that they used Irons voice for some parts after all. But if his voice was as unfitting for the song as Cummings has made it sound (the voice directors stopping him after just a few lines), it seems unlikely he'd suddenly improve that much, heh.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » February 15th, 2017, 6:11 am

[quote="Kallo"]Perhaps it's a psychological thing? You've thought that to be the case so you've started hearing it as such? :P [/quote]

That could be very plausible if I had always been aware of the way his voice alters, but until I read about it online it never registered to me.

[quote="Kallo"]In fact, I've always heard his voice to be very slightly different during the entire song. After the "You won't get a sniff without me" line, his voice just turns rougher because the song requires it. I wouldn't know why Jim Cummings would be lying about it, and I doubt he is, since he always tells the story precisely the same way (meanwhile, Disney doesn't even really like to acknowledge Cummings singing half the song. It took long for them to properly admit it). Of course, it could be that Cummings doesn't even know which parts they ended up using in the final movie. It could be that they used Irons voice for some parts after all. But if his voice was as unfitting for the song as Cummings has made it sound (the voice directors stopping him after just a few lines), it seems unlikely he'd suddenly improve that much, heh.[/quote]

I honestly don't think Jim Cummings would lie about it either, but the though that part of Jeremy Irons' performance of the song was used clears up my confusion quite well. :thankyousmile:
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby TheLionPrince » February 16th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Adding on to the Jeremy Irons/Jim Cummings situation, Kallo may have misheard what Cummings actually meant. Towards the end of the video, Cummings claims Irons didn't sing the actual words "Be Prepared!" throughout the entirety of the song. My theory that I held for about a year is that through seamless audio editing, when Scar sings "And injustice deliciously squared/Be prepared!", that is actually Jim Cummings singing as Scar. Listen close enough with your eyes closed so you're not distracted the visuals, and it's impressive how smoothly it shifts from Iron's vocals over to Cumming's vocals without anyone noticing.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard