TLG Fan Theory: Kion is set up to be evil?!

Re: TLG Fan Theory: Kion is set up to be evil?!

Postby Hatari05 » January 5th, 2016, 7:50 am

What they did with Ward in Shield was brilliant. Anyway if he did turn evil it doesn't have to be out of greed people can fall to darkness for noble reasons, though another thing they could do is have Kion become the antagonist without him becoming evil at all instead he and his family just split over differing ideals for the future of the Pride Lands perhaps through the guard Kion develops a progress ideology believing that animals other than lions should determine the future of the kingdom maybe through the guard Kion concludes there shouldn't be a monarchy which goes against Simba who believes the kingdom isn't ready to rule itself and fears it will cause chaos. Kion believes in progress and absolute freedom this is noble but could potentially cause a lot of chaos. Simba believes in tradition order through strong leadership this is noble too as the past shouldn't be forgotten though this runs the risk of eventually creating a tyrant.

Neither side is wrong and it could be a truly intriguing conflict. Kion's not evil and I feel this kind of ideology wouldn't completely go against his character either while Simba's motivations would be completely understandable too. Naturally I'm really grasping at straws Disney has always been all for good vs evil it's highly unlikely they would ever do a story where it was next to impossible to determine who was the good guy and the bad guy, even more so a conflict where neither side is right or wrong, kind of hard to teach a moral in that kind of situation. Really I know this is unlikely but it's fun to speculate no matter how unlikely it is.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby Squeely » January 5th, 2016, 8:40 am

A. We saw Kion and Simba interact for one day. Simba may be a little tough on Kion from time to time, but that doesn't mean he isn't loving. There's not much evidence to support Simba favoring Kiara imo. Kiara and Kion are a little older, and as such, Simba is starting to get serious about teaching Kiara how to be a good queen.
B. See rebuttal to A.
C. All this is new to him, and he doesn't want the power to go to his head or anything. His worry was reasonable imo.
D. It's called genetics. Has everyone suddenly forgotten that Simba and Scar are related? And from a design standpoint, it helps differentiate between cub Simba and Kion.
E. "Be Prepared" is about plotting to take over the throne, while "Kion's Lament" is about Kion finding the confidence to be a leader. The differences between the two far outweigh the similarities.

And that's why I believe this theory won't come true. I know it's a just a fan theory and is probably just meant for fun, but I strongly doubt the show will actually take this direction. If anything, it seems like it's setting up Kion as someone who will take the concerns of all animals into account, while working to keep the circle of life in balance to the best of his ability.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Braveheart » January 5th, 2016, 9:06 am

[quote="Hatari05"]What they did with Ward in Shield was brilliant. Anyway if he did turn evil it doesn't have to be out of greed people can fall to darkness for noble reasons, though another thing they could do is have Kion become the antagonist without him becoming evil at all instead he and his family just split over differing ideals for the future of the Pride Lands perhaps through the guard Kion develops a progress ideology believing that animals other than lions should determine the future of the kingdom maybe through the guard Kion concludes there shouldn't be a monarchy which goes against Simba who believes the kingdom isn't ready to rule itself and fears it will cause chaos. Kion believes in progress and absolute freedom this is noble but could potentially cause a lot of chaos. Simba believes in tradition order through strong leadership this is noble too as the past shouldn't be forgotten though this runs the risk of eventually creating a tyrant.

Neither side is wrong and it could be a truly intriguing conflict. Kion's not evil and I feel this kind of ideology wouldn't completely go against his character either while Simba's motivations would be completely understandable too. Naturally I'm really grasping at straws Disney has always been all for good vs evil it's highly unlikely they would ever do a story where it was next to impossible to determine who was the good guy and the bad guy, even more so a conflict where neither side is right or wrong, kind of hard to teach a moral in that kind of situation. Really I know this is unlikely but it's fun to speculate no matter how unlikely it is.[/quote]

If that were to happen, either a dialogue or a civil war would ensure. :evil: But since Lions have always been on top of the food chain, they would probably decide their own future instead of other animals.

Save the black & white stuff for Game Of Thrones not a little kids show like Lion King. :P
ImageImageImageImage
Braveheart

Pride Points: 28

Postby InsaneSeagull » January 5th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Personally, I don't see this happening, simply because that's not something Disney does (Star Wars wasn't a Disney product in Vader's time xD). Especially if we consider the fact that TLG is actually a show for preschoolers.

But I see her point, and it's a very good theory. Actually, if I were Kion, I might turn 'evil' at some point too. And I've always loved fallen heroes, even though that made me sad.

I agree that it's obvious that Simba is favoring Kiara, not as a daughter, but as a princess. He even called her "Princess" once, and never called Kion "Prince". I get why, but it can be rather hard for Kion to bear. Of course, he doesn't show it, since (at the moment) he doesn't even see himself as someone who wants to be a king, or even prince. But that doesn't mean he doesn't subconsciously feel bad about all this.

He is worried about becoming like Scar, simply because he sees how similar his life story is to Scar's. We all see it too, and I think that's what Disney producers wanted us to see. That's the main reason they even kept Kiara in the show. He's often worried about even using roar, because he doesn't want to end up using it for evil.

I see a bit conflict in Kion, and I do think he's not as happy and carefree as he pretends to be. Kion's Lament is a great song that shows it perfectly. He's worried about how good he can take all these responsibilities, and all. He never thought about being a leader at all, simply because he always grew up with Kiara destined to be a queen.

I love that he doesn't follow his family's ideals completely (recruiting other animals in The Lion Guard pretty much shows it), and that might turn to some nice conflict. Pretty much what Hatari05 said. I'd love to see that happen, even though I most likely won't.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby SlayerOfLight » January 5th, 2016, 1:42 pm

I wish this was true. The stereotype heroes who save the day are too overrated -.-
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby ScarsLove » January 5th, 2016, 11:06 pm

Someone needs to write a fanfiction about this now! Oh my god, this would be so great!

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Hatari05 » January 5th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Well I have written quite a few lion king fanfictions, Civil War Lion king style could be interesting and does sound like the kind of a story I would enjoy writing, why not. Anyway all joking aside as cool as these ideas sound it's not likely, I do think there will probably be some kind of conflict of idealogy between Simba and Kion but nothing too serious, just some disagreements that ultimately both learn from and become better because of it. In truth I'm not sure how this show is going to go, yes it started light but most big franchises started light heartened before going darker.

I honestly think the show will get more mature as it goes on. I have a few reasons for thinking this the biggest one being the fact that Kovu, Nuka and Vitani will all appear meaning there will probably be an outsider story arc with Zira and I don't see Zira's story arc not going a darker route. I don't know I just think the shows tone will gradually change as it goes on, either way I don't think we are going to get the main character going evil or a pure morally grey conflict, even darker and more mature shows don't really do that but I do think the show will delve deeper as it goes on.
Hatari05

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » January 7th, 2016, 2:12 pm

I doubt that, due to Disney's nature, but it's a nice theory and I love seeing it in fan works. Still, there's less going for it then against it, and as much as I adore Aubzsey's art, I don't think the reasons she gave really make sense.

Kion and Kiara's relationship is a bit strained, but I can't see any malice or hatred between them, like there obviously was between Scar and Mufasa. Plus, we don't know how much does their relationship mirror Mufasa and Scar's, who are adults while they are just cubs. It looks more like the pair of siblings who like childsihly picking on one another, but still work pretty well together when the situation asks for it. Mufasa and Scar, on the other hand, sorta felt like total strangers with no attachment whatsoever, as we can see during the confrontation early in the movie.

Simba does spend time with Kion too - Kion hints that his dad took quite some time to teach him... well, you know about what. It's not all that impossible Simba taught Kion other things a lion should know, too. And if you pay attention, Kion isn't really starved for attention as one might have expected him to be if Simba really neglected or ignored him. Does he look interested in Simba and Kiara's lesson in the beginning of TLG? If he was, do you think Simba would have rejected him if he asked to stay?

On a similar note, I don't think he loves Kiara more then he does Kion, either. He might be able to sympathize more with her, as she's older and somehow more mature, and will be the next queen after her mother.
He's been soft with Kiara when she was a younger cub in SP, but we never saw what his relationship with Kion was like back then. TLG takes place a while later, and both Kion and Kiara are quite a bit older here, so it's possible he started treating them a bit more strictly since he felt they were growing up. Kiara improved and was probably easier to deal with during this period, so he got along better with her, that's all.
Don't forget how he treated her as an adult in the second movie, telling her she wasn't allowed to hunt alone anymore after the fire accident, and constantly sent Timon and Pumbaa after her - I find that similar to the way he doesn't put much faith in Kion.

Kion doesn't want to become like Scar, and is way too paranoid... Actually, this could work, since even if he makes the smallest mistake similar to Scar or accidentally misuses the roar, he just might feel like becoming like Scar is his destiny and eventually take that path. Still, I believe Kion has enough people who love him to keep him away from that path, most evidently Mufasa.

I don't think Kion and Scar have similar personalities at all. As for motivations - again, no. Kion doesn't look too interested in becoming a king instead of his sister, but is happy that he is given a role of his own. He is also responsible, isn't cocky or arrogant like Scar, and pretty laid-back actually.

Still, I love the pic though. :)
Amadi_the_Guard

Pride Points: 8

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard