Storyboard directors of TLK 2 don't know who Kopa is.

Storyboard directors of TLK 2 don't know who Kopa is.

Postby Pocahontas » November 10th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Many people believe that the crew of TLK2:SP knew all about Kopa, but just didn't use him.

In a Phil Weinstein interveiw for the Balto movie website on Balto Source, he talks about his role in both Balto 2 and TLK 2.

[Notice: This is a transcript of the audio interveiw]

When someone asks about Kopa, he replies:

Aniu:
Are you familiar with Kopa, the original son of Simba and Nala? And ifso,was there a reason you all opted not to put him in The Lion King 2?

Phil: No…what was his name?

Aniu: Apparently his name was Kopa, and it was—I forget exactly where the fan knowledge comes from, because I’m not—

Skul: [interrupting] I can answer that. Kopa was the son of Simba and Nala in a series of books that were published immediately after The Lion King. And there were six books total, all of them 100-­‐page kids books, but they all had Kopa in them.

Phil:Wow. No, I wasn’t aware of that.

Skul: Yeah. A bunch of people have been wondering why it was Kiara instead of Kopa in Lion King 2. And, I guess not evenyou know the answer.

Phil was a worker on TLK 2, and this information may prove Disney never had anything to do with Kopa at all. ;)

I posted this to clear up all of the fan theories.

[PS: I'm pretty sure this belongs here, it is mostly dealing with TLK 2.]
Pocahontas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Average Nerd

Pride Points: 7

Re: Storyboard directors of TLK 2 don't know who Kopa is.

Postby TheLionPrince » November 11th, 2011, 12:18 am

Curse you, Pocahontas, I was about to make a topic on this. Oh well, here's the actual link: http://www.animationsource.org/sites_co ... erview.pdf . Weinstein's comments on Kopa is somewhere within the middle if any one cares to read it.

Anyway, it does clear up why Kopa was never included into Simba's Pride even though I knew beforehand the filmmakers obviously never heard of Kopa, so that's why they didn't include him.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Akril » November 11th, 2011, 12:33 am

Same here -- I strongly felt that the makers of SP never heard of Kopa even before reading this interview.

It's a similar story with Speck -- there was a comic published in Disney Adventures shortly after Toy Story came out called "Pup and Circumstance". It featured Andy's puppy, who was named Speck and looked considerably different than Buster, the dog that appeared in Toy Story 2 years later. Buster didn't replace Speck -- it's just that the creators of Toy Story 2 never heard of Speck.
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Postby BlazePrower9205 » November 11th, 2011, 1:29 am

Ah, so that's why they never put Kopa in TLK 2 to begin with. I've been wandering about this for years and now I know. :)
Leaving. Might be back if the bill doesn't get passed.
BlazePrower9205

Nickname(s): Amitiechu
Pride Points: 2

Postby DGFone » November 11th, 2011, 1:51 am

I always knew that they wouldn't have had purposefully changed Kopa to Kiara, so I was really expecting them not to have known about him.

What I don't understand is the radical design change between Kiara and "fluffy" at the end of the first movie. Even the presentation is different.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » November 11th, 2011, 2:55 am

The colors are a bit different, but that's it. :/

Yeah, they look different, but not what I would consider a radical design change. It's just Simba's cub mk1 and mk2. :lol:
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Konga » November 11th, 2011, 3:37 am

But you'd have to admit, as DGFone mentioned, the two presentation scenes were completely different from each other. It almost appears as though the first presentation occurred mid-day and the TLK 2 presentation took place at dawn. The colors were also more enriched in the first movie..something I wish was incorporated into the sequel. :/
Mai siggy has invisible powerzz!
Konga
The question is..who are you?

~Everything's Magic~

Nickname(s): Jen, Konga
Pride Points: 6

Postby Regulus » November 11th, 2011, 4:49 am

I was thinking the opposite. The colors seem to be quite a bit more vivid in SP. It almost looks more like a sunset at the end of the original, which also explains Kopa's more orangish color. Clearly, it is midday at the presentation of Kiara above (although not in the very beginning with the animals marching).

The bigger question is why is Pumbaa darker in SP? That is the most obvious difference. With the exception of TLK fans, nobody notices the subtle differences in Kopa and Kiara.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby KopsTheTerminator » November 11th, 2011, 4:55 am

THOSE INTERVIEWERS. They should have asked about Chaka, Kiara's supposed deleted twin brother too. I've always wanted to know if he really existed at some point in the story or not. =/ Anyway, nice info. The storyboard director did say that the writers may have known about him in the interview, though.
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SimbasGuard » November 11th, 2011, 6:19 am

That was a very interesting interview Pocahontas and TheLionPrince. It does not surprise me that The branches of Disney that make (or at least Green-light) the book and the branches that make the movies don't talk to each other. Although since they are all working on the same property, you think that they would talk to each other.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Next

Return to Creators