MLK Book Club

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

MLK Book Club

Postby FlipMode » January 8th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Just an idea here and really just posting it here to gauge interest. If we were to start a book club group on here, where we would all vote on a book from a list to read for say, the month. How many of you would be interested in joining it?

Here is how it would work - have a sticky thread in the books section.
Each month we would nominate a few books that look good each. One week to nominate, followed by two days to vote (longer time to research interesting choices but I imagine anyone who wants to vote would do by a couple days or so.) After that track down a copy (if you join but can't get hold of one, just say so) and when enough of us have, we start reading it all together. Discussion of said book including progress, to be posted in the thread and good times all around!
When we all (or most of us at least) finish. The next round starts with new nominating. =)

Why?
Because books are cool and it's always nice to think of new ways to bring the community together, yes?...

If interested or have feedback, post it below.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: MLK Book Club

Postby OuRaion » January 8th, 2013, 10:22 pm

I'd join.

But one problem, it would probably only take me about 6 days to finish the book.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby Carl » January 8th, 2013, 10:28 pm

I'd be interested, but I wouldn't be able to read many books with you lot except on break. As a literature major, I'll have tons of books to read already and all that. I could try to participate though. I might get the time here and there.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Regulus » January 8th, 2013, 10:43 pm

I might be interested. Sorta.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Tora » January 8th, 2013, 10:46 pm

This would totally get me to start reading more. I'd love to do something like this. :)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Woeler » January 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm

That depends. If it's fiction only I'm gonna let this pass.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » January 8th, 2013, 11:03 pm

[quote="OuRaion"]I'd join.

But one problem, it would probably only take me about 6 days to finish the book.[/quote]

That's not a problem, most GOOD books take me barely over a week to read, length not withstanding. The majority of the books will likely be around 300-500 pages and I think about 20+ a day is an easy target to aim for and would keep everyone at roughly the same pace. I think most people just THINK reading a book takes long but its easy to get lost and read a good 30 pages in thirty minutes too.

And I mean, if you do finish early, you can always post your thoughts and such in a spoiler for people to read when they catch up. It's not a race, dudes...

[quote="Regulus"]I might be interested. Sorta.[/quote]

Elaborate. Feedback is welcome if this is going to work =) I feel you are coming along the lines of "depend what we are reading and how much time I have free." Still, 20 minutes a day or so.. Read while listening to music or watching TV if it helps or with a cup of tea on break =D there are plenty of opportunities in a day to read a few quick pages I think.

[quote]That depends. If it's fiction only I'm gonna let this pass.[/quote]

Anyone is free to nominate a book to read, fiction or non fiction. If a book is chosen that you really don't want to read then it's not like you are under a legally binding contract to read it, just pass on that book and join the next one that does interest you.

I mean maybe have two, one for fiction and one for non fiction? lol
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Woeler » January 8th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Alright, count me in then.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby AdAstrα » January 8th, 2013, 11:27 pm

I might be interested in this :)
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby FlipMode » January 8th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Seeing a lot of "maybe" here, might just start it in a few days and if people want to join in, great if not then... *Blows raspberry*
FlipMode

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To