New Members

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: New Members

Postby Woeler » October 23rd, 2012, 8:36 pm

[quote="Dare"]A proposed 30-50 posts in order to be allowed to talk about things other than TLK, eh?
What about those of us who've been here for years, but only have...say...19 posts?
;)

I hate to be a noodge, but I must ask...am I to be forcibly corralled into only being able to discuss TLK then, or to post more just so I'll be able to enjoy the access that those people who post every 5 minutes have?
It's not that I don't want to discuss TLK, but TLK was not the only reason why I joined this forum.
To have access to a part of the forum only to have it suddenly taken away simply because I may not post as often as others... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Eh, I suppose this kind of thing hinges on what defines a "new" member, then? *le shrug*
:?[/quote]
Well... It might sound a bit rude... But if you don't post, why did you join in the first place?
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » October 23rd, 2012, 8:48 pm

[quote="Dare"]A proposed 30-50 posts in order to be allowed to talk about things other than TLK, eh?
What about those of us who've been here for years, but only have...say...19 posts?
;)

I hate to be a noodge, but I must ask...am I to be forcibly corralled into only being able to discuss TLK then, or to post more just so I'll be able to enjoy the access that those people who post every 5 minutes have?
It's not that I don't want to discuss TLK, but TLK was not the only reason why I joined this forum.
To have access to a part of the forum only to have it suddenly taken away simply because I may not post as often as others... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Eh, I suppose this kind of thing hinges on what defines a "new" member, then? *le shrug*
:?[/quote]

Well, in short, yes.
The idea is that lurkers (and yeah I will call you that since you self proclaimed it), would not be able to go into the Member Dens and such where personal information or at least messenger screen names can be found.

I don't know if, as a lurker you are aware but this forum does suffer the occasional troll attack and this countermeasure would stop those people from finding personal information which is posted in The Den and misusing it.
It's not about who posts more or who is entitled to post where, it's about keeping things safe where possible.

I totally see the point, but the hard truth is that - should this go ahead, then yes you probably would have to reach X amount of posts in the TLK section before you have the same access to OT areas. But that isn't victimising you, because it does not only effect lurkers like you, but also new members.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Dare » October 23rd, 2012, 8:59 pm

[quote="Woeler1"]
Well... It might sound a bit rude... But if you don't post, why did you join in the first place?[/quote]

That's not rude at all - it's a valid question.
:)

To answer, I do post - I post when I happen to see a unique topic that interests me, or when I have something to say other than things akin to "lol i like yellow" (not that there's anything wrong with that. To each their own).
I don't post much about TLK because I've discussed TLK to death already on other forums and I have very little to add to the TLK discussions taking place here, but I follow discussions, from time to time, if something unique pops up.

As for why I joined in the first place - I like hanging out with fellow TLK fans and I have several friendly acquaintances from other TLK forums who also frequent here. Actual discussion of TLK, on the other hand, is not something I'm interested in...at least, not to the point of it being my only option for discussion. I imagine I would get very bored very quickly.

[quote="FlipMode"]
Well, in short, yes.
The idea is that lurkers (and yeah I will call you that since you self proclaimed it), would not be able to go into the Member Dens and such where personal information or at least messenger screen names can be found.

I don't know if, as a lurker you are aware but this forum does suffer the occasional troll attack and this countermeasure would stop those people from finding personal information which is posted in The Den and misusing it.
It's not about who posts more or who is entitled to post where, it's about keeping things safe where possible.

I totally see the point, but the hard truth is that - should this go ahead, then yes you probably would have to reach X amount of posts in the TLK section before you have the same access to OT areas. But that isn't victimising you, because it does not only effect lurkers like you, but also new members.[/quote]

Hmm...I feared as much. :\
I am aware of the troll attacks - it's hard not to be aware of them actually, since they seem to be a popular topic in the Feedback forum, and I understand the need to keep members' information secure. Hehehe, I guess this means I'm collateral damage. It really is a shame that the careless actions of others can affect bystanders, but that's the way the world works.

Well, as I posted, TLK discussion doesn't interest me all that much, so if this does go forward...I guess you'll be seeing me in The Den around 2035 or so. Toodles!
:lol:
Dare
fly-on-the-wall

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

i lurk, therefore i am

Postby Woeler » October 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

^well if that's the case. I'm sure some exceptions can be made via the administrators so that people like you don't have to suffer from this.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Dark Huntress » October 24th, 2012, 6:16 am

[quote="Woeler1"]^well if that's the case. I'm sure some exceptions can be made via the administrators so that people like you don't have to suffer from this.[/quote]

I agree with Woeler1. This is a good idea, but you should be able have exceptions.
Thx Silver ^^ Image
My MLK Family and Friends: show
Sisters/BFs: Scarsmate, Meeko, Kiki, Redkite, and SimbaObsessor
Uncle: Tora
Godfather: James
Brother: Realmofthedragon
Mother: Wolfishgirl
Aunt: Unikels
ADORBZ [fluffy!] kitty friend: OuRaion

Credits Where Due: show
Thank-you, Darth Julie for the amazing avatar!!!
And thx, Silver for the kickbutt siggy!

My Philosophy: show
Love with every bit of who you really are, not with who you pretend to be.

FanFics:
Feedback appreciated! Please check it out!
Bond of Brothers

All artists, please join me on my art odyssey!
Dark Huntress
...And this Mortal...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Shall put on Immortality....

Nickname(s): TJ, DH, et cetera
Pride Points: 22

Postby wolfishgirl » October 24th, 2012, 7:55 pm

I have to say that lurkers being allowed to see my personal info (not that i really post any) is weird. Yes, they joined years ago maybe, but if they don't have an active role on TLK, I can't find out how they think. Just like new members. I'm not saying block everything, but the den, members, and off topic things yes from both the Lurkers and New Members.
Spoiler: show
Married to vish

adopted daughter werewolfgrrly

adopted sister: unikels

adopted brother: Tora

Melonie's Aunt

Thank you Rogue and Sophie for the graphics.

friends list are in the spoiler, check out if you're good enough to be one. :D

Nicholas
Nukascar1
Arani
Biomac 92
Buffy
Libre
Banana
WildSimba
TheLionPrince
VitanisMate
TheRoguePrince
Regulus
SimbaNalaScarZira123
Vish
Kuna
Unikels
OuRaion
Moka
werewolfgrrly
Tora
Juliette
James
KristinaKiara
Aina
DGFone
SharpLionson
wolfishgirl
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Warm in your belly!

Nickname(s): Wolfishgirl, Narm, Annoying girl, Alien, Angel...
Pride Points: 26

Postby Dare » October 24th, 2012, 8:40 pm

[quote="wolfishgirl"]I have to say that lurkers being allowed to see my personal info (not that i really post any) is weird. Yes, they joined years ago maybe, but if they don't have an active role on TLK, I can't find out how they think. Just like new members. I'm not saying block everything, but the den, members, and off topic things yes from both the Lurkers and New Members.[/quote]

One could make the argument that, if you are really interested in getting an idea about how an occasionally-posting lurker thinks, all you need to do is click on their user profile and read their previous posts.
;)

But, I digress. Regardless of whether an exception is made or not (and I do hope it is - I assure you I have no designs on stalking people and/or trolling the forum...nor have I done anything to warrant the suspicion that I would, after my years of membership, suddenly decide to engage in such activities), I just wanted to make folks aware that this can potentially affect people who aren't "new" or "trolls".

Anyhow, I'd like to thank anyone who's actually taken the time and considered this thing from my viewpoint...and for those who've put up with my rambling. I've said my piece, and now whatever happens, happens.
:)
Dare
fly-on-the-wall

i lurk, therefore i am

Previous

Return to Feedback & How-To