Using previous memberHQ threads system

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Using previous memberHQ threads system

Postby Tabby » September 3rd, 2012, 4:49 pm

I think I'm not the only one that thinks of this.. But the Member HQ section is out of control, the spam is endless, and one of the main problems is that NEW members come to these and automatically becomes part of this tendency of some members to use MLK as a chat or a meeting site, social network, whatever..

Since it is a fact that people likes them or just don't care about them, since they are ''harmless'' according to them.. Why not regulating it?, I mean, do we need more members that stays here only for the chatting?, I think we could kind of using the previous system, you know, giving these ''privilegies'' or extra-options to the users than have been here for enough time, not the ones that just came(I don't have anything against new members, it's just that this is getting out of control). I don't think a person that has been 1 day on mlk needs to have a Q&A thread and a own chat... About chat threads, Why don't we make 1, 2 or even 3 "official" threads for everyone to talk?, instead of having thousands of these that sometimes aren't even active. I'm not saying remove ALL of these, just reduce the number of these, and again, about the Q&A threads, I think only long pemanence members deserves these, just as to reduce this little "problem" that's been going on in the forum for some time.

I hope everybody comprehends the point I'm trying to reach.

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Re: Using previous memberHQ threads system

Postby Woeler » September 3rd, 2012, 4:51 pm

Know the problem, support your point. It should be regulated
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » September 3rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

I bet most of the members here are fed up with some of the spam we get from some of the new members (not all of them though). And when you say 'long pemanence', do you mean members who have been here for like, over a year or something? Just wondering. Anyway, I agree fully with what you are saying ^.^
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Khanu » September 3rd, 2012, 4:58 pm

I think we should have something where you can't make new topics or threads unless they get approved. I mean, how often do we even create new topics? One every one month? Two months? It wouldn't be hard at all to just PM a moderator and asking permission. It's certainly better than the current system of "New member makes thread" and "Mod locks thread". It would clear up spam tremendously
Me: show

True Love: show
Khanu

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Uncle Kuna, Kuny, KunaTuna
Pride Points: 25

Postby Tora » September 3rd, 2012, 5:29 pm

Not here to tear anyone's ideas up just stating what I find and think.

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]do we need more members that stays here only for the chatting?[/quote]

Would you rather not have those members at all?

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Q&A threads, I think only long pemanence members deserves these[/quote]

I don't agree with that. Just because one member has been here longer doesn't make him or her better than a new member.

Now lets see here is a question I have: If you think that these threads are "spam" than why do you look at them? Could you simply not just do what you want and not read posts that you deem as spam? Honestly if the Members HQ and The Den didn't exist the posts on this website and its activity would simply drop down to near death of this website. I just don't see a logical point, because you have the ability to not look at these sections on the forums; no one is making you look at them. What would reducing the number of these threads achieve anyway? All those people would post in these limited threads and still have the exact same issue.

Lastly, Not everyone wants to use social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, and in fact I find those sites incredibly repulsive. I know I am not the only one that thinks that either. There is nothing wrong with people chatting on this website. You know what goes on in these threads and you don't have too look in them.

[quote="Khanu"]I think we should have something where you can't make new topics or threads unless they get approved. I mean, how often do we even create new topics? One every one month? Two months? It wouldn't be hard at all to just PM a moderator and asking permission. It's certainly better than the current system of "New member makes thread" and "Mod locks thread". It would clear up spam tremendously[/quote]

It's incredibly annoying for something like that to happen, and I have seen many new topics been opened. I don't find it a better system than the one in place considering the number of new topics in comparison to those that get locked. It really wouldn't clear but maybe one or two threads that take one click to lock.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Tabby » September 3rd, 2012, 5:45 pm

[quote="Tora"]Not here to tear anyone's ideas up just stating what I find and think.

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]do we need more members that stays here only for the chatting?[/quote]

Would you rather not have those members at all?[/quote]

Why don't you go look for the exact part when I said that? :roll: I'd rather to have those member with another mind, other than just ''OMG IMMA CREATING ONE OF THOSE Q&A AND CHAT THREADS TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND SCREW THE REST OF THE FORUM :)" If you know what I mean.. but meh, sure you don't.

[quote="Tora"][quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Q&A threads, I think only long pemanence members deserves these[/quote]

I don't agree with that. Just because one member has been here longer doesn't make him or her better than a new member. [/quote]

Well, in first stance, if you give a new memeber the chance to go ignore the whole tlk section and go directly to the HQ section, where everything is OT and talking, what's the point?, we're nothing but creating more spammers, which is not the objetive of this forum. AT LEAST, if they'll do it, they should stick on mlk for enough time, if they leave in a week, what's the point of having those stupid Q&A threads?

[quote="Tora"]Now lets see here is a question I have: If you think that these threads are "spam" than why do you look at them? [/quote]
Says the guy who gets bothered by the Spam made by CERTAIN member ;)

[quote="Tora"] Honestly if the Members HQ and The Den didn't exist the posts on this website and its activity would simply drop down to near death of this website. [/quote]

OH RIGHT WHY DON'T WE CHANGE THE WHOLE SUBJECT OF THE FORUM FOR SOMETHING MORE POPULAR TO BOOST THE FORUM AND GET +10000 VISITORS? :D

[quote="Tora"] I just don't see a logical point, because you have the ability to not look at these sections on the forums; no one is making you look at them. [/quote]

Yeah, let's make lots of spam and stupidities, anyways, nobody's forced to see them, right?

[quote="Tora"]What would reducing the number of these threads achieve anyway? All those people would post in these limited threads and still have the exact same issue.[/quote]

Less threads = less posts, cause people actually post in two and three threads at the same time, sometimes even with the same people -.-, PLUS we'd also have less Q&A threads, tell me, if a person is totally new, is it so likely people will ask him stuff?, or will they ask the person who's been in mlk 1, 2 or 3 years posting stuff and collaborating?.

[quote="Tora"]Lastly, Not everyone wants to use social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, and in fact I find those sites incredibly repulsive. I know I am not the only one that thinks that either. There is nothing wrong with people chatting on this website. You know what goes on in these threads and you don't have too look in them.[/quote]
LOL LET'S BRING ALL THE PEOPLE FROM FACEBOOK AND TWITTER, WHO CARES IF THEY DON'T EVEN LIKE THE FANDOM

Summarizing.. I don't think that ONLY cause it does no harm, it does any good either, it's just killing the forum, still more.

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Postby Khanu » September 3rd, 2012, 5:50 pm

^LOL Calm down please.

The point is that people have like 0.5% of their posts being related to TLK. I'm guilty of that, so is Tora, Woeler, and even the OP ;) Besides, the main issue here is new members ruining MLK because they don't know how forums even work. They think anyone can create a new topic every five minutes for the most random of reasons and no one will get bothered by it

Khanu

Postby Woeler » September 3rd, 2012, 5:57 pm

[quote="Tora"]I don't agree with that. Just because one member has been here longer doesn't make him or her better than a new member.
[/quote]
On what scale do you think we are talking? You think this is racism? please...
New members are spamming all over the place. There are even people who have like 4 months of membership and 5000 posts and only like 100 of them are actually in the tlk sections. That is not ''fun'' and that is not ''good'', that is spam!

My view is that people need to PROVE that they are an active, worthy member before they can go into the MembersHQ or the Den.

And to reply to another statement of yours: Yes, I would rather NOT have those members at all.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby Tora » September 3rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

SimbaCanHazDonut that is definitely one of the most uninformed posts I have ever seen. :roll:

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Why don't you go look for the exact part when I said that? :roll: I'd rather to have those member with another mind, other than just ''OMG IMMA CREATING ONE OF THOSE Q&A AND CHAT THREADS TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND SCREW THE REST OF THE FORUM :)" If you know what I mean.. but meh, sure you don't.[/quote] Apparently you can read minds. :)

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Well, in first stance, if you give a new memeber the chance to go ignore the whole tlk section and go directly to the HQ section, where everything is OT and talking, what's the point?, we're nothing but creating more spammers, which is not the objetive of this forum. AT LEAST, if they'll do it, they should stick on mlk for enough time, if they leave in a week, what's the point of having those stupid Q&A threads?[/quote] The objective of this forum is to bring the fandom together and make friends. Not only to just talk about TLK all day long endlessly.

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Says the guy who gets bothered by the Spam made by CERTAIN member ;) [/quote] *cough* I am so bothered that I definetly make topics about it. *cough*

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]

OH RIGHT WHY DON'T WE CHANGE THE WHOLE SUBJECT OF THE FORUM FOR SOMETHING MORE POPULAR TO BOOST THE FORUM AND GET +10000 VISITORS? :D [/quote] I know right! We should totally go off topic and say something incredibly stupid.

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]Yeah, let's make lots of spam and stupidities, anyways, nobody's forced to see them, right?[/quote] Should I even take you seriously?

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]PLUS we'd also have less Q&A threads, tell me, if a person is totally new, is it so likely people will ask him stuff?[/quote] Actually yes. I'll take that initiative to do so.

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]LOL LET'S BRING ALL THE PEOPLE FROM FACEBOOK AND TWITTER, WHO CARES IF THEY DON'T EVEN LIKE THE FANDOM[/quote] Seriously? Everything is a joke to you isn't it. You can't take things seriously can you?

[quote="Khanu"]Besides, the main issue here is new members ruining MLK because they don't know how forums even work.[/quote] Yeah definitely let the one member cause everything to suck for all the other new members.

[quote="Woeler1"][quote="Tora"]I don't agree with that. Just because one member has been here longer doesn't make him or her better than a new member.
[/quote]
On what scale do you think we are talking? You think this is racism? please...
New members are spamming all over the place. There are even people who have like 4 months of membership and 5000 posts and only like 100 of them are actually in the tlk sections. That is not ''fun'' and that is not ''good'', that is spam!

My view is that people need to PROVE that they are an active, worthy member before they can go into the MembersHQ or the Den.

And to reply to another statement of yours: Yes, I would rather NOT have those members at all.[/quote]

Yep totally lets defiantly have a totalitarianism forum. I guess in your eyes I do nothing but spam all over the place since I have been here four months and have over 5000 posts. To another statement you made: members shouldn't have to PROVE anything.
Tora
Never Forget

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Khanu » September 3rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

[quote="Tora"]
[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"]LOL LET'S BRING ALL THE PEOPLE FROM FACEBOOK AND TWITTER, WHO CARES IF THEY DON'T EVEN LIKE THE FANDOM[/quote] Seriously? Everything is a joke to you isn't it. You can't take things seriously can you?[/quote]
/Harsh

What about if the new members who sign up for MLK have to read a list of "Forum Etiquettes". What that means is that they would see how it's not right to make a new thread all the time and how you should begin by posting in the TLK sections and all those unwritten rules which come naturally to most of us, but aren't known at all for people who have never joined an online community before this one. This isn't a "one member problem". It's been going on for a while, and will continue in the future...

Khanu

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To