Chat Topics & The Chatroom

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Chat Topics & The Chatroom

Postby Carl » June 19th, 2012, 8:17 pm

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="Juliette"] Getting rid of the chat threads will not help the TLK sections much because members like myself who come here for the community will stop posting at all. Perhaps the chatroom should just be more accessible to those that want it, and the threads should be left alone.[/quote]

[quote]I never said I would stop coming all together[/quote]
Unless there is a difference between not visiting and not posting that I am somehow missing; yeah, you did. I asumed that if you were not to post; then it would be because you would stop visiting, seems logical to me that if someone logs in they are likely to post somehting, y'know?

Well, whatever, if people enjoy using these random OT threads then yeah keep them, I wasn't using them before and I still won't be now so it doesn't really bother me. At least we can all agree that the chat room should be made more noticeable to people; so there is that :)[/quote]

I guess I could have worded that differently. I didn't mean to say that I wouldn't post at all anymore, but I think I'm getting redundant, so I'll just sum up my opinion on the matter and leave it at this:

The chatroom should be more accessible, but the threads should remain also.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 20th, 2012, 2:37 am

[quote="Amanda"]if you guys really want your own little "space" to chat with friends, ever heard of MSN or Skype?[/quote]

KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Simbaholikov » June 20th, 2012, 2:51 am

[quote="Amanda"]if you guys really want your own little "space" to chat with friends, ever heard of MSN or Skype?[/quote]

Quite frankly, that.
Think most people are just using the topics to get post count up, again..
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » June 20th, 2012, 9:24 am

Not everyone has or even can have MSN though.
After thinking about this a little more... The chat threads aren't really hurting anyone, we can in fact not read them y'know? Shoul just ignore it and let those that do like them continue on in peace :) Then they are there IF you do ever feel like joining in on them, I mean you wouldn't close the fan fiction section just because you dont write or even read it, so why should it really work that way on any other parts of the boards?
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 21st, 2012, 10:11 am

That wasn't the point. The point is that we already have a place for chats, the chatroom, making the chat threads pointless.
KopsTheTerminator

Postby FlipMode » June 24th, 2012, 10:05 pm

It might not have been the original point, but it is A point.
Yep, but as we have seen, people do want them there, and do use them. Therefore they do have a purpose, and are not pointless.

I want the chatroom to be active too, its a pretty decent way to talk to members you do not usually talk to. But nobody uses it, and I don't think taking away something that half the forum uses is really going to fix that. It just needs to be better integrated into the forum, but the chat threads themselves are doing no harm really, and are being used (most active part of the forum, even.)

Also - it doesnt help that when people DO post in the chatroom its to have a whine about how "dead" it is in there, or to post autoplaying videos, generally filling it with spam. I cant reply to spam. I have had a few decent conversations in there in the past, simply by going in and asking if anyone wanted to talk... Crazy, I know. But it yields better results than posting a random GIF, and if it does not... You are no worse off than before anyway lol
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Arani » June 25th, 2012, 12:58 am

plain and simple: I would like the chatroom to be visible at the bottom but I think the threads in members HQ should stay. ^^
Arani

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 56

Postby DGFone » June 25th, 2012, 4:12 am

[quote="Arani"]plain and simple: I would like the chatroom to be visible at the bottom but I think the threads in members HQ should stay. ^^[/quote]

You mean a chatbox? Have fun convincing KK to implement it. The code for it used by MLK is crude and inefficient that no one wants to add any chatboxes into the forums. I tried fixing the code, but... no luck. The only chatroom we can get is what we already have.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Moka » June 26th, 2012, 6:11 am

Well, not really. I can have the chatroom on all the pages. It's no problem. I don't think we wanted that at some point, but we decided not to, but I forgot why again.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » June 26th, 2012, 6:41 am

If we can, why not? But I do remember getting a lot of flack for suggesting having a chatbox on top of every page, and the only reason why the thought even came across again was when I suggested that if the chatroom's code is so bad, then it's the code that is at fault, not in members wanting a chatbox. Fix the code, fix the problem. But if there really isn't any reason to not have a chatbox, and the code isn't that bad as stated before, then I vote for giving it a try.

I frequently visit the X-Plane forums, which are much bigger than MLK, and also have a chatbox. People there use it and often, so I really don't see what so bad about one. Give it a try and see what will happen.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To