ANOTHER ONE OF WS'S SUGGESTIONS *waits for the groans*

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

ANOTHER ONE OF WS'S SUGGESTIONS *waits for the groans*

Postby WildSimba » October 4th, 2010, 12:28 am

I just want to suggest a new more specific rule to say something against all these leaving topics popping up. I don't see a problem with the "I'm going on vacation" ones specifically, but I think the ones where their like "I'm leaving forever, goodbye", are just needless spam. They obviously don't care about the forum/what they think/know if their leaving forever, because they wouldn't be leaving if otherwise.

Quite a few of the leaving forever ones have popped up recently, and it's getting extremely annoying. Particulary in the den.

I know I just recently bothered you about the rules, but this one really needs to be enforced, In my opinion, and I'm sure there are others who agree. It's just a waste of time, and no one actually wants the extra drama in an already drama-filled forum.

I'm not suggesting a complete overlook of the rules again, but just an added rule or section under spam that leaving topics aren't allowed, and vacation topics are to be used when appropriate with the rule.

This is just a suggestion, get them arguements a-flowin!
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Re: ANOTHER ONE OF WS'S SUGGESTIONS *waits for the groans*

Postby Taka » October 4th, 2010, 12:52 am

Well, I agree.
Taka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 26

Postby Simbaholikov » October 4th, 2010, 1:17 am

I see nothing wrong with leaving topics. If you don't like them, don't read them. ;)
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby LadyNala » October 4th, 2010, 1:22 am

Um, why can't people make leaving topics? There's nothing wrong with them. Like SimbaHolic said, if you don't like them, just go about your business and ignore them. No biggie.
Spoiler: show
Siggy: PB
Icon: Livejournal
Member Bar: LadyAislinn
Fan Banner: SimbaHolic
LadyNala

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ladynala yo. â„¢

Nickname(s): LadyNala, Nala
Pride Points: 1

Postby YFWE » October 4th, 2010, 1:29 am

[quote="Simbaholic"]I see nothing wrong with leaving topics. If you don't like them, don't read them. ;)[/quote]

This.

I guess people should just fall off the face of the earth and never let their friends know they're leaving then. They had better hope they have some sort of IM client or Facebook or something or else I guess no one'll know what happened to them!
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby Kianga » October 4th, 2010, 1:38 am

I think people need to show better judgment about what they post in these leaving threads too. Some posts I've seen in them are just plain rude. Thought this place was nicer than that. There have been an awful lot of them lately though like the OP said. I'm on one messageboard that enforced a rule in 2003 where if you make a 'leaving forever' thread, your account gets put on inactive after there were too many instances of people saying they were leaving forever then changing their minds later, sometimes pretty soon after they posted those threads. Not suggesting the staff take on that serious of a measure here though. Any change regarding this issue or if things stay they way they are is totally up to them of course. I personally think it's better to just silently leave since it'll save on drama in case you do decide to return later and maybe just PM whoever you think needs to know you're leaving. That's just how I'd handle things though, not saying everyone else should.
Kianga

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

sassy lionesspanther

Nickname(s): KL, Koudo
Pride Points: 2

Postby WildSimba » October 4th, 2010, 1:45 am

[quote="YFWE"][quote="Simbaholic"]I see nothing wrong with leaving topics. If you don't like them, don't read them. ;)[/quote]

This.

I guess people should just fall off the face of the earth and never let their friends know they're leaving then. They had better hope they have some sort of IM client or Facebook or something or else I guess no one'll know what happened to them![/quote]

If they cared enough about the forum they wouldn't just drop off the face of the forum like that. If someone's leaving, people notice long before the topic is even made. It's just needless drama too have the topics being posted every two seconds because someone is saying their leaving forever, then coming back 10 minutes later.

As I stated in the first post it'd be different if their on vacation, but when their doing these leaving forever topics, their typically not making them for their friends, their making it so that people would make a big deal over them leaving.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 4th, 2010, 1:46 am

In the scheme of things, why shouln't people be able to tell everyone that they are leaving, if you care to look, not all these recent movements are caused by drama, and these topics allow people to tell others that they care even if they can't be around, and like it was said above, if you don't like it, don't read it.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Ushujaa » October 4th, 2010, 1:50 am

[quote="WildSimba"]I just want to suggest a new more specific rule to say something against all these leaving topics popping up. I don't see a problem with the "I'm going on vacation" ones specifically, but I think the ones where their like "I'm leaving forever, goodbye", are just needless spam. They obviously don't care about the forum/what they think/know if their leaving forever, because they wouldn't be leaving if otherwise.

Quite a few of the leaving forever ones have popped up recently, and it's getting extremely annoying. Particulary in the den.
[/quote] you see i understand where you're coming from WS and i do think that it is annoying to see people leave but on the other side of the coin
[quote="YFWE"]
I guess people should just fall off the face of the earth and never let their friends know they're leaving then. They had better hope they have some sort of IM client or Facebook or something or else I guess no one'll know what happened to them![/quote]

I would hate to not know people are leaving if i were friends with them, i do believe however that you don't see that some people might really care what certain members do have to say about them leaving. i do think that the latest was a little much but that specific person was really only here to promote something else...

In my honest opinion i think there should be a goodbye or a "Vacation" section of the forum where people could post if their leaving whether it be indefinitely or just for a short break... and in these forums you should only stop and look at the people who you actually care about and not even "feed" the trolls or the people that you know are going to start an argument with you if you post what you really feel

but that's just me...
Spoiler: show

thank you Flip for the community sig
Ushujaa
Dreamer

Don't heroes have the right to dream?

Nickname(s): Shujaa, Fluffy, Squishy, Kopa, Usher,Krypto
Pride Points: 24

Postby YFWE » October 4th, 2010, 1:51 am

[quote="WildSimba"][quote="YFWE"][quote="Simbaholic"]I see nothing wrong with leaving topics. If you don't like them, don't read them. ;)[/quote]

This.

If they cared enough about the forum they wouldn't just drop off the face of the forum like that. If someone's leaving, people notice long before the topic is even made.[/quote]

And how does one do that? What if someone's parents is forcing them off the internet due to whatever, hasn't known this any days in advance? What are they supposed to do?

I don't disagree that the alarming number of "hey i'm leaving" followed by "LOL JK I'M BACK U GUYS" or people coming back but under different guises is annoying. It's happened a lot here in the past, even recently, and it's not like we're condoning that completely. But there's really nothing we can say there other than try to get people to only leave if they REALLY ARE LEAVING and aren't on the fence about it and won't miss it a day later.

In the long run, these do tend to be a bit annoying, but there's really not much we're going to be able to do because it's not exactly right to infringe on other members' ability to say goodbye only because a couple folks spoiled it for them.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To