How to Audition for a Musical or Play

How to Audition for a Musical or Play

Postby Mikokat » June 3rd, 2009, 8:27 am

Hey, everyone! As some of you may know, in the real world, I am an actor. So I've decided to share my knowledge and give you a some tips on how the audition process for a musical or play works. I'm breaking them up into different sections since the audition processes for a musical and a play are VERY different.

MUSICAL

Okay, so you've decided you want to try out for a musical? Welcome to the world of Musical Theater! Here are some tips that may help you land a good role.

For reference, a musical is a stage production that is heavily choreographed and staged to a great amount of music.

Appointments
The first thing you'll want to do is set a time to audition. Most auditions are done by appointment only, meaning that you have to contact the Theater staging the musical to schedule. This may be via phone call, email, or simply writing your name down under an audition slot on a posted notice. Determine how to schedule an appointment by checking with the Theater. If the Theater doesn't do appointments and are open auditions where you just show up at a set time, then you do just that. DON'T attempt schedule an appointment in this case.

Choosing Your Music
Now that you've scheduled an appointment (If needed), then you need to find an audition song. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MUST CONSIDER VERY CAREFULLY. Choose a song that is in your range and that you know you can sing. If you can't hit that high note at least 9 out of 10 times, don't risk it and don't do that song.

Once you've chosen your song, then you need to find a way to get the accompaniment (Instrumentals) for that song. This can be done in two ways: Either by finding sheet music a pianist can play or by bringing in your own backup track WITH NO LEAD VOCALS (i.e. Karaoke track). Some places will not allow you to bring in your pre-recorded track. Pretty much all Theaters allow sheet music and provide an accompanist to play the music for you on the piano. Personally, I suggest bringing in your own sheet music for the pianist to play, but in the end, it's your call.

Now REHEARSE THAT SONG.

Auditioning

So the big day has arrived. You're going in to audition for a musical. This is going to sound cliché, but RELAX! You're going to feel nervous before going in to audition. Don't worry, EVERY actor is nervous when auditioning or about to go out onstage, even professionals. Just go in there and do your best. You will most likely be required to complete an audition before going in to audition. This will ask you your name, age, contact information, previous roles, etc. If you don't have any previous roles, that's fine! The form isn't as important as the actual audition.

Wait in the designated waiting area until your name is called. Then enter the audition room and NAIL THAT SONG! Once you've completed your song, and have been dismissed, then you may leave the audition site.

Congratulations! You've just auditioned for a musical! Now all you have to do is wait for a callback. If you don't get a callback, then maybe you're not what the casting directors are looking for. You're going to feel a bit down, but don't worry! There will be many other shows!

WARNING: DO NOT CONSUME ANY CAFFEINE (Soda, Coffee, some Teas), DAIRY PRODUCTS (Milk, Cream, Yogurt, etc.), OR CHOCOLATE-BASED FOODS BEFORE YOU AUDITION. THESE PRODUCTS WILL HINDER YOUR VOICE IN THE SHORT TERM. THEY ARE BAD FOR THE CHORDS. THE ONLY THING YOU SHOULD DRINK WITHIN EIGHT HOURS OF YOUR AUDITION SHOULD BE ROOM-TEMPERATURE WATER.

PLAY

The audition process for a play, meaning a production with little or no music, is a lot simpler than the one for a musical, still, however, is still is just as nerve-wracking! Trust me, I know. Here is what you'll need to do to audition for a play:

Appointments
The first thing you'll want to do is set a time to audition. Most auditions are done by appointment only, meaning that you have to contact the Theater staging the play to schedule. This may be via phone call, email, or simply writing your name down under an audition slot on a posted notice. Determine how to schedule an appointment by checking with the Theater. If the Theater doesn't do appointments and are open auditions where you just show up at a set time, then you do just that. DON'T attempt schedule an appointment in this case.

Choosing Your Monologue

In most auditions for a play, you will be required to prepare a short monologue, usually two to three minutes long, to recite at your audition. The monologue shows off your acting ability to recite lines as well as act to them. Choose your monologue very carefully. If you want a role where you act like a jerk, get a monologue from a jerky character (i.e. Ebenezer Scrooge), the same goes for any other type of role.

Now REHEARSE THAT MONOLOGUE!

Audition Day

So the big day has arrived. You're going in to audition for a play. This is going to sound cliché, but RELAX! You're going to feel nervous before going in to audition. Don't worry, EVERY actor is nervous when auditioning or about to go out onstage, even professionals. Just go in there and do your best. You will most likely be required to complete an audition before going in to audition. This will ask you your name, age, contact information, previous roles, etc. If you don't have any previous roles, that's fine! The form isn't as important as the actual audition.

Wait in the designated waiting area until your name is called. Then enter the audition room and NAIL THAT MONOLOGUE! Once you've completed your monologue and have been dismissed, then you may leave the audition site.

Congratulations! You've just auditioned for a play! Now all you have to do is wait for a callback. If you don't get a callback, then maybe you're not what the casting directors are looking for. You're going to feel a bit down, but don't worry! There will be many other shows!

CALLBACKS (BOTH MUSICAL AND PLAY)

NOTE: Some Theaters don't make use of callbacks. If that is the case, then you will know if you are cast some time after the audition. You may even be cast even if you aren't called back! Callbacks are usually only for people in the running for the bigger roles of the show. If you are not called back, you may still be in the Ensemble or Company of the show!

If you were what the casting directors were looking for, then congratulations! You are one step further to getting into the show! Most callbacks are simple readings from the script of the show. You will most likely be paired up with another person or maybe even multiple people to read with. You will then perform your scene in front of the casting directors.

Shortly after Callbacks, you will find out whether or not you've been cast. If you have, then Congratulations! If not, then there's always another show! You will feel bad, that's just a part of the business. You'll eventually recover and hopefully you will get a part!

There you go, that's the audition process!

NOTES

* Be civil at auditions.
* Be especially nice to the Director(s) and Producer(s).
* If you aren't cast, don't make threats to the Director(s) or others. It won't get you anywhere.
* If you are really serious about being in the Entertainment business, then create an acting résumé. Also, get a professional headshot taken.
* If the director asks you whether or not you played a role that you know you didn't play (i.e. "Didn't you play Peter Pan last month?"), then answer honestly. Don't lie. Chances are, the question is bait. Most likely, he/she directed it and their son/daughter/niece/nephew played the role. However, if you did play the role, then feel comfortable to answer "yes."

If you have more questions, then please ask me!
https://www.mylionking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1439503#p1439503
Mikokat

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My username is not red nor green

Telegram: @Mikokat
Pride Points: 12

Return to The Den