Color Fixes in SP Special Edition DVD

Color Fixes in SP Special Edition DVD

Postby Moka » June 29th, 2009, 4:37 am

Alright, I decided to write a small article on something I noticed.

I have the 1998 VHS SP and the Special Edition DVD. I noticed that they fixed the colors with the characters to make them look a little bit more like the characters in TLK, so I researched it a little bit and found some information.

Compare this: http://www.mylionking.com/resources/sit ... ab_847.jpg , which is a screengrab from TLK, and this image that I stole from Wiki:
TLK2SP.jpg
Picture from Wiki

See in the top image, Simba is orange and his mane is like brownish red and Nala is...I don't even know? But they fixed it in the Special Edition DVD to make they look more like the Simba and Nala in that screengrab.

I also found a webpage on Vakasi's Simba's Pride Online website that has some great information on the differences between the original VHS and the Special Edition DVD: http://www.lionking.org/~vakasi/vhsdvd.html
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: Color Fixes in SP Special Edition DVD

Postby Katelyn23 » June 29th, 2009, 4:39 am

Oh wow, I just realized that. Thanks for pointing that out Moka. I guess they didn't want the differences too far apart from the Original and SP since it was probably only a bit of a difference in time between TLK and TLK2. ^^ It seems they decided they wanted to make the Special Edition DVD different from the VHS as well lol.
Katelyn23
We are the champions.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I be speakin' swaghili.

Pride Points: 20

Postby Zeke » June 29th, 2009, 5:09 am

I was trying to get my TLK SP video to work the other day and I realized how pink everything was. It looked really messed up xD
Zeke
Deeq

Pride Points: 18

Postby Simba » June 29th, 2009, 8:15 pm

that's the digital restoration. everytime Disney does a special edition, they "digitally restore" the film so it looks better quality and color. they mention it in their advertisements like, "Now better than before with all-new digital restoration!" sometimes they'll even put restored and original clips side by side to compare and the originals are always darker.

now I wonder if there's a difference between the colors in the first TLK and the special edition too?
Simba

[inactive account]

Nickname(s): Simba,AJ,Amber

Postby LilTiger » June 29th, 2009, 10:55 pm

OMG! I never knew they changed the color!
Well, I wouldn't know because I got the stincken 1998 one. I got it for Christmas, 4 months later Special Edition!
LilTiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

~*~

Nickname(s): LT, Lil, Tiger, LilT, ZM, Zira, Bored

Postby Buffy » July 16th, 2009, 9:58 pm

[quote="Simba"]that's the digital restoration. everytime Disney does a special edition, they "digitally restore" the film so it looks better quality and color. they mention it in their advertisements like, "Now better than before with all-new digital restoration!" sometimes they'll even put restored and original clips side by side to compare and the originals are always darker.

now I wonder if there's a difference between the colors in the first TLK and the special edition too?[/quote]

Yeah! Disney has done that alot! I remember when they did that to "101 Dalmations" and it made it look more modern.

I had no idea they had done this to TLK2:SP and it's quite interesting to know. And thanks for posting the links Moka, it educated me a bit :D
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby morri908 » July 19th, 2009, 8:42 am

[quote="Simba"]

now I wonder if there's a difference between the colors in the first TLK and the special edition too?[/quote]

i don't think there is... but it's not like i can compare them side by side :P .. Special edition does have better quality though :D and dolby digital surround sound
morri908

~Sarabi's Mate~ (was the first one... copy cat!)

Pride Points: 1

Postby Schindler » July 19th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Well, I'm glad they kinda fixed the colors for SP, it was one of the major fails.
Schindler

soñando a estar vivo

Pride Points: 0

Postby SimbasMate » July 22nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

Things like that don't really appeal to me because I don't pay attention half the time. lol. But that is really cool! I like how they made it a lot brigthter too, and It's not all dark and bad colored like on the VHS tape. I should watch both of them, and notice that. lol. I actually like the Special Edition of TLK and TLK2SP because they're restored and they have more color to them. :)
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby Yumacub » July 22nd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Thats sort of like the cub at the end of TLK and the cub at the beginning of TLK2 (A.K.A. Kiara) But the cubs looked totally different...It was originally going to be Kopa right? :?
Yumacub
Queen of the Wildlands~

Love is what it's all about! <3

Nickname(s): Yumi Yuma YC
Pride Points: 8

Next

Return to The Movies