Rafiki presenting cub Mufasa?

Rafiki presenting cub Mufasa?

Postby Akril » January 14th, 2012, 9:01 pm

There used to be a Wikipedia page on The Lion King: Six New Adventures, and there was a section on that page containing several contradictions between the series and other TLK media. Here's that list in its entirety:
[quote]Simba has a son named Kopa in the books, but Kopa is non-existent in the 1998 Direct-to-video Sequel, ''The_Lion_King_II:_Simba's_Pride'', and no mention is made of him.

In ''A Tale of Two Brothers'', Ahadi is described in the text as having a long black mane and bright green eyes. Yet in the illustrations he has a brown mane and brown eyes, and resembles Mufasa.

In some storybooks adapted from the film ''The Lion King'', it is stated that Rafiki had presented a new-born Mufasa to the animals of the Pride Lands before. However, in ''A Tale of Two Brothers'', when Rafiki first arrives in the Pride Lands, both Mufasa and Scar have already been born.

In ''How True, Zazu?'' it is mentioned that Zazu became steward to the king after his mother, Zuzu, retired. However, another book ''Friends in Need'' contradicts this. In the book, a teenage Mufasa saves Zazu from Shenzi,_Banzai_and_Ed, and Zazu wants to help Mufasa in return. Mufasa thinks Zazu is a nuisance at first, but after Zazu helps him rescue a teenage Sarabi, he decides to make the bird his trusted advisor.[/quote]
The third contradiction on that list is the one that puzzles me. I've never seen a TLK storybook mentioning Rafiki presenting Mufasa (though admittedly, I haven't read very many). Does anyone here know of a storybook that does?
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Re: Rafiki presenting cub Mufasa?

Postby Noah » January 14th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I can confirm that A Tale of Two Brothers has Mufasa meeting Rafiki while the lion was still a teenager. But I'm at a loss to a storybook that has Rafiki presenting Mufasa as a cub. I would assume any story with that scene would also have Mufasa's father in the story and I believe he's only seen in the 6NA books. There very well may be one out there though. Last month I found a story that showed Kovu and Kiara meeting a second time before they become grown ups. You never know. Keep your paws crossed.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby TheLionPrince » January 15th, 2012, 1:35 am

Meh. I'm throwing a possible guess to your answer. I say this edition of Disney's The Lion King maybe contain that tidpit of information concerning Rafiki presenting Mufasa as an infant cub. Keep in mind, I only claim this because Kieran (AKA SuperBabySimba) posted his forum page, to which I'm a member of, that the storybook has Rafiki meeting Mufasa when Mufasa was a cub. He doesn't post a link to the page that mentions this, but what he states is very reliable, and I trust him. So, if Rafiki knew Mufasa as a cub, it's likely the book would mention that Rafiki presented him.

Anyway, it's a guess, Akril, but if it is not the book, I'll search even harder.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Noah » January 15th, 2012, 2:02 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Meh. I'm throwing a possible guess to your answer. I say this edition of Disney's The Lion King maybe contain that tidpit of information concerning Rafiki presenting Mufasa as an infant cub. Keep in mind, I only claim this because Kieran (AKA SuperBabySimba) posted his forum page, to which I'm a member of, that the storybook has Rafiki meeting Mufasa when Mufasa was a cub. He doesn't post a link to the page that mentions this, but what he states is very reliable, and I trust him. So, if Rafiki knew Mufasa as a cub, it's likely the book would mention that Rafiki presented him.

Anyway, it's a guess, Akril, but if it is not the book, I'll search even harder.[/quote]

Oh...I have that book! I just haven't read it yet. It's the 64 page Lion King novelization. It's been on my to-do list for a while, but I never had a good reason to read it. Since you brought it up, I will sit down soon and take a look through it.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Akril » January 15th, 2012, 9:46 am

[quote="Noahcs"]I can confirm that A Tale of Two Brothers has Mufasa meeting Rafiki while the lion was still a teenager. But I'm at a loss to a storybook that has Rafiki presenting Mufasa as a cub. I would assume any story with that scene would also have Mufasa's father in the story and I believe he's only seen in the 6NA books. There very well may be one out there though. Last month I found a story that showed Kovu and Kiara meeting a second time before they become grown ups. You never know. Keep your paws crossed.[/quote]
I don't think there are any other books featuring Ahadi. I'm guessing that the "Rafiki presenting Mufasa" thing is something just said in passing, like, "Rafiki then held Simba aloft for all the animals of the kingdom to see, just as he had done with Simba's father when he was a newborn."

I'm interested to see if that novelization does say something like that, or if there indeed are any other books that do as well.

(Completely off topic, but I just had to say something about it: That first book that Kieran mentions in that thread which identifies Simba's cub as a female -- if it was published in 1994, I have a strong suspicion that the book was reprinted after the release of SP and the cub's gender was changed. I've seen the same thing happen with other re-released TLK storybooks.)
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cleargreenwater » February 6th, 2012, 1:25 am

Well, I'm probably miles behind in this conversation, but I'm not interested in football and so I spent the later part of this afternoon crawling around my dark, cold attic looking for the Novelisation mentioned above.

Disney's "The Lion King" (adapted from the film by Gina Ingoglia,) is in fact where this stems from.

During the presentation scene--

[quote]
Rafiki grinned toothily at Mufasa. "It's as if I'm seeing you as a cub all over again."
(p. 5)[/quote]

So yeah.

Anything else TLK has to wait til Spring, though, it was way too cold to be up there! haha.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby Akril » February 6th, 2012, 5:29 am

Woah -- you shouldn't have gone through that just to get that one story detail!

Still, thank you very much for digging that up. It seems like that claim is partially true now -- there is one book backing it up, but until some other books are found, it's still not entirely true. :)
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Postby cleargreenwater » February 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm

[quote="Akril"]Woah -- you shouldn't have gone through that just to get that one story detail![/quote]

I was looking for a couple other things, too. Didn't find them, though, there's still a box that's too far back to reach.

Heck, *I* should know better than to keep this stuff packed up in the attic like I'm ever going to grow out of it by now.... :P

SO....who wants to find a second source?
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Return to Beyond The Lion King