Scar's Reflection

Scar's Reflection

Postby Carl » November 30th, 2013, 5:10 am

A forum member's signature reminded me of something that I've wondered about.

Okay, so I know that the reason Kovu's reflection changes to Scar here is for symbolic purposes. Obviously. I know that it is to compare Kovu with Scar, and to reference this scene from the first film.

The weird thing to me is, Kovu couldn't have known what Scar looked like. He would have been much too young, or unborn, at the time of Scar's death to remember what he looked like. Of course he could have inferred it, but, what I'm wondering is, why didn't he just see the change as a trick of the light? By this point in the movie, Kovu had his own scar. His coloring is basically the same and there are really only few differences between his appearance and Scar's. In a brief appearance as a reflection, how would Kovu know it was Scar he was seeing and not a distorted view of himself? And, if he didn't know it was Scar, why would he look so alarmed?

Discuss.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: Scar's Reflection

Postby Regulus » November 30th, 2013, 5:14 am

This is what happens when Rafiki starts playing with psychoactive plants and voodoo dolls.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Marizzle » November 30th, 2013, 11:30 pm

[quote="Regulus"]This is what happens when Rafiki starts playing with psychoactive plants and voodoo dolls.[/quote]
Everything was said. :mhm:
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby zinxscar » February 24th, 2014, 2:21 am

Most likely just an inference. Like said, he was made a copy of Scar. So it wouldn't exactly be difficult. Not to mention... looks like him, has -the- scar, doubting himself to actually be him... who else would he think it to be?
zinxscar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Zin, Sephy, Sephi
Pride Points: 0

Postby Remorazz » February 25th, 2014, 3:16 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"] at the time of Scar's death[/quote]
Maybe Scar didn't die? Conspiracy???

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!!! :ohgod:
Thank You SophieCub: show
Remorazz

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Remo
Pride Points: 3

Postby Carl » February 25th, 2014, 3:27 am

[quote="zinxscar"]Most likely just an inference. Like said, he was made a copy of Scar. So it wouldn't exactly be difficult. Not to mention... looks like him, has -the- scar, doubting himself to actually be him... who else would he think it to be?[/quote]
Himself, as I said. The two look too similar for him to assume it's another lion when the image distorts. Water and light cause things to appear different than they really are, so he has no reason to infer it might be someone else. It was probably just a trick of the light-- he has no reason to doubt it's him he's looking at. Obviously for the purposes of the scene's symbolism, he has to infer that it is Scar. What I'm wondering is why did he jump to that conclusion? It would be easy for his reflection to look like Scar, and it probably had before, and he wouldn't even know because it looks so much like him.

[quote="Remorazz"][quote="Julie Skywalker"] at the time of Scar's death[/quote]
Maybe Scar didn't die? Conspiracy???

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!!! :ohgod:[/quote]
Well I suppose that's possible, but the characters assume he's dead, so either way, young Kovu couldn't have ever actually seen him enough to remember his appearance.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby EdtheHyena » April 21st, 2014, 9:48 pm

Well, if this were set in the real world it could be explained simply by the fact that we have photographs, but here...it's a little different.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride