Would this be a worthy succesor if...

Re: Would this be a worthy succesor if...

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » December 27th, 2013, 5:32 am

I'm not sure if I can answer this unbiased since Simba's Pride is my favorite movie. I really like the simple animation. Given the fact that it was made by Disney ToonStudios as opposed to The Lion King, it might explain it's cartoonyness. As for the story, I really liked it. I am a sap for romance, especially forbidden love. And I instantly just absolutely adored Kiara and she became my favorite fictional character of all time eventually. I liek it and the Lion King, but SP is my first favorite movie and Lion King is my third favorite. I also think Zira was a much stronger and passionate villain, which is why she's my favorite Disney villan.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby Bloodspill » January 8th, 2014, 1:39 am

I have different opinion on quality of production. In comparision to TLK of course SP is worse, but I actually like this horrible quality - because of my memories from childhood. I'm used to very first VHS version of SP where everything is so dark that sometimes you can't see details. I have also special edition from around early 2000s (I don't remember the date) and it's somehow fixed. Blu ray version is the brightest so far, but I don't enjoy it. I'm sticking to the old version just because of nostalgia - but I understand many of you don't like it. The one thing was always bothering me - color of Pumbaa and color of Simba's mane. Especially Pumbaa.

I didn't like Kiara and Kovu parts. Really, too much of them. They should remove Upendi in my opinion. I'd like to see more Outlanders scenes. Forget Kiara for a moment - here we have Nala who isn't Nala and Simba. I really don't like him in the sequel. He may be scared and still feel the pain after Mufasa and Scar's case, but I don't feel sorry for him in any way. I'm not surprised so many people take Outlanders side.

The next thing are the plot holes. There's so many unexplained cases and meaningless scenes. I guess Disney didn't care that much about it, because it's a kids movie. We the older fans could point out every mistake or senseless moments, but I don't think many 8 years old could so. It's all because of script changes. When Zira had to be Scar's mate, everything was well planned and made sense. Then they had to change the whole thing and some of the characters' relations and reactions turned out unclear. IMO they should do as someone mentioned before - drop out Kiara and Kovu romance or make Kovu an orphan - just state it. Then Zira, Nuka and the rest could be related to Scar what would explain their actions.

I get the feeling Disney don't care too much about this movie even now. After all, it was good movie - better than 1.1/2 though - and they still give 1.1/2 more attention. We had 2 disc version of it and on SP we have barely something important except for this short documentary. It wouldn't hurt if they'd give some additional scenes or at least give a longer commentary.
But one thing was great - Zira. Great designed, she was just walking madness.
Life's not fair, is it?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Ninaroja » February 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I think the story would have been greatly improved if instead of focusing on the romance between Kovu and Kiara they focused more on Simba's struggle to try and be like his father. The film is called "Simba's Pride" after all, and to me Simba is still the main protagonist (Kiara to me is just ditzy and annoying, a complete Mary-Sue. Her character growth/development is virtually non existent)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby zinxscar » February 24th, 2014, 1:45 am

Personally I've always been a fan of sequels. The original lion king was definitely an amazing movie, but Kovu is - like you mentioned him, being popular - is probably my favorite character directly after Scar. So that makes me bias, but hey! This was a question thread, and this is my answer post! Bias shall be here!
zinxscar

Nickname(s): Zin, Sephy, Sephi
Pride Points: 0

Previous

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride