Time Period The Lion King Was Likely Set In?

Time Period The Lion King Was Likely Set In?

Postby FlipMode » September 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm

Sorry if this thread has been made before, or if the answer is immediately obvious.
Also just thought that it could get some humorous replies, if nothing else as it is admittedly a bit silly, but here goes nothing.
Now I know, a film about talking lions and stuff does not really need to fit in with any kind of timeline that would exist in the real world. But if it did, or does, around what year do you think it would be that the events take place?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Time Period The Lion King Was Likely Set In?

Postby Taka » September 3rd, 2011, 9:42 pm

I always thought the film was set in the time it was made, 1994 ----->
Taka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 26

Postby Misiziri » September 3rd, 2011, 9:51 pm

I think in the 1880's, or maybe much farther back before Africa had any colonies.
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby SummerSnowLeopard » September 3rd, 2011, 10:33 pm

I think TLK takes place during 1994. I also think SP's time-period was when the film came out. :macho2:
SummerSnowLeopard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Summer
Pride Points: 38

Postby Wrightfan » September 3rd, 2011, 11:27 pm

I would think 1994 though there's nothing to date it.

It would at the latest be 1961 as Timon sings the Tokens version of Lion Sleeps Tonight but that would kinda be overthinking things too much :lol: Just a cartoon.
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby DGFone » September 3rd, 2011, 11:40 pm

The whole point of The Lion King is that it's timeless. But if I had to choose a time period, I would say no later than the 1950's or so. Keep in mind that the Pride looks up at the stars all the time, so spotting artificial satellites (moving stars) can be something weird. Also, you don't see any airliner contrails in the Lion King. And those you see almost everywhere.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Misiziri » September 3rd, 2011, 11:41 pm

Wow, I'm thinking like 1400 now xD
Misiziri

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby TheLionPrince » September 4th, 2011, 12:00 am

[quote="DGFone"]The whole point of The Lion King is that it's timeless.[/quote]

Exactly. ;) There's nothing in the film that would indicate what time period it takes place, though Wrightfan made a good point. However, I don't think the filmmakers even gave any thought as to what time period the film is set because they wanted it to be timeless. So, the story could take place in 1994 (20th century), in the Middle Ages, the 1700s, 1800s, or even today, but it would not affect the story one bit. So, as to what time period, the film can take place at ANYTIME in the world.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SimbasGuard » September 4th, 2011, 3:53 am

If I had to put a time frame on it I'd have to say 1994 (for no other reason that that is the year it came out).
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby TheLionPrince » September 7th, 2011, 1:47 pm

Even though I still believe there is no time period that can be applied to the film as the filmmakers wanted it to be timeless, it could take place in ancient Greece. Why? Hercules (in the Disney film, of course) is wearing Scar's dead body indicating he had just died, although it is meant to be an inside joke.

Also, when you think about, you could tell when The Lion King is set in if had depicted humans. Think about it! If humans in The Lion King universe have modern-day technology and were civilized, it could take in our modern-day world. Or if the humans used ancient tools, then, it could take place in pre-historic times. Again, just a thought!
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Next

Return to The Movies