The Lion Guard (2015 / 2016)

Re: The Lion Guard (2015 / 2016)

Postby gothprincesskiara » February 24th, 2015, 9:39 pm

I love all the observations you are making from that little 2 secend animation shot.

Speaking of animation, this might seem again a bit off topic but, can I just point something out when it comes to the latest passed Disney movies, I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed that Disney is starting to do less and less of 2D cartoon animation and more and more 3D animation from like Pixar and Rapunzel animation styles, I wonder if they turned off 2D for the movies and just now use 2D for the the shows, but they are going to make 2D for the Lion Guard movie so I just wonder what direction is Disney going with new updated animation style? (should I post this in a different threat cause im eager to talk about it)
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Sigurd » February 24th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Haven't Disney abandoned the 2D animation style a long time ago? I remember hearing (2003?, 2004?) that Home on the range was going Tobbe their last 2D Animated film. Then they made The princess and the frog but that was years later. And I don't think they've made any other 2D movie after HOTR, correct me if I'm wrong.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby TheLionPrince » February 25th, 2015, 1:56 am

[quote="Simbaist"]Haven't Disney abandoned the 2D animation style a long time ago? I remember hearing (2003?, 2004?) that Home on the range was going Tobbe their last 2D Animated film. Then they made The princess and the frog but that was years later. And I don't think they've made any other 2D movie after HOTR, correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

Although Home on the Range was meant to be their last in-house 2D animated production, John Lasseter and Ed Catmull became the creative heads of Disney animation in 2006, and reverse the policy to allow for more theatrical 2D animated films like The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh (which is currently their last recent one). Back in 2013, Disney announced that they did not have any current plans to produce more 2D animated films, and then it was reported in animation blogs that Disney laid off at least nine veteran 2D animators. However, they still claim they haven't officially abandoned 2D animation:

[quote="The Los Angeles Times"]Life at the studio hasn't been all Disneyland smiles — last month, as part of a wider restructuring at its corporate parent, the animation studio laid off fewer than 10 people out of a staff of more than 800. Because some were 2-D animators, there was speculation on some animation blogs that the studio was abandoning its commitment to that art form, an idea [Walt Disney Animation Studios general manager Andrew] Millstein dismissed.[/quote]

So, to put it short, there aren't any theatrical 2D animated films currently in production, but they haven't dismissed using the process.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby gothprincesskiara » February 25th, 2015, 4:01 am

:down: But I really am a fan of the 2D style. It will be a big disappointment to see it go extinct with Disney its part of what made me a fan of animation in the first place I'm not sure if I warming up to the 3D upgrade, Im kinda getting tired of it, but I guess its the new way of movie making, and they may just bring it right back sooner or later I hope.
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby SimbasGuard » February 25th, 2015, 8:13 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Why wouldn't it be computer animated? Even I have a Photoshop brush that replicates the 2D pencil from Disney movies, used in conjunction with a drawing tablet, it looks just like hand drawn traditional work.

Which is why hand drawn is an inaccurate term here because since acquiring a graphics tablet, all of my digital art has been hand drawn, as if on paper.[/quote]
That is something I did not know. It is also very comforting, thanks Julie Skywalker 8-)

[quote="TheLionPrince"]So, to put it short, there aren't any theatrical 2D animated films currently in production, but they haven't dismissed using the process.[/quote]

I thought that was Disney's official stance on 2D. That's good to Know, thanks TheLionPrince 8-)
[quote="gothprincesskiara"] But I really am a fan of the 2D style. It will be a big disappointment to see it go extinct[/quote]
I feel the same way, I love 3D animation like Ice Age and Alpha and Omega. However no movie with get as close to my heart as 2D animated films like Lion King and Balto. but as long as 2D animation is used for shows like The Lion Guard and Ultimate Spider-Man the art form will never truly go extinct. It may just be some time before we see a 2D animated film on the big screen.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 25th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Seriously, I dont understand why 3D Disney movies are so overrated. Nine times out of ten all characters look like living dolls with big eyes. At least ONE good thing so far about TLG is the fact that they've decided to keep it 2D.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Gemini » February 26th, 2015, 5:59 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"][quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Elton John"]One thing i noticed right away that i really love is that it has this very classic disney look to it. If this isn't hand drawn, it does a great job of replicating the hand drawn look.[/quote]

I'd be shocked if this turns out to be computer animated. If it is then it proves that 2D can still live in a world of 3D animation.[/quote]

Why wouldn't it be computer animated? Even I have a Photoshop brush that replicates the 2D pencil from Disney movies, used in conjunction with a drawing tablet, it looks just like hand drawn traditional work.

Which is why hand drawn is an inaccurate term here because since acquiring a graphics tablet, all of my digital art has been hand drawn, as if on paper.[/quote]

Photoshop is still 2D. It's computerized, yes, but it only works on two dimensions, not three. I think what SimbasGuard was referring to wasn't whether or not it was "hand-drawn" but whether or not it was 2D or 3D. Most modern films are done in programs similar to Maya, ZBrush, or Blender, all of which are very different from either traditional drawing media or from programs like Photoshop. They are more akin to traditional sculpture or claymation, which is why modern animated films have such a different look than their predecessors.

I'm sure you knew at least some of that but I think that's what he was trying to say. That said, I'm sure this is computerized for at least most of the process (if not all of it), as most animated TV shows are now, but that doesn't mean it's not 2D animation. :P
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby DGFone » February 26th, 2015, 6:09 am

I wonder if they will use a combination technique of "Computerized" 2D with 3D made to look like traditional 2D?

What I am talknig about, you can see here in this production video of a rather good Russian animated movie. Ignoring the language barrier for you guys, you can see how many assets are in true 3D, but the final product looks like a 2D image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj1G-fjMVHE

So I wonder how much of the same process will be used for The Lion Guard. Have assets such as backgrounds and stuff be 2D canvases, but have characters and things be primarily 3D.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Akril » February 27th, 2015, 2:23 am

[quote="DGFone"]I wonder if they will use a combination technique of "Computerized" 2D with 3D made to look like traditional 2D?

What I am talknig about, you can see here in this production video of a rather good Russian animated movie. Ignoring the language barrier for you guys, you can see how many assets are in true 3D, but the final product looks like a 2D image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj1G-fjMVHE[/quote]
The method used in that video is called cel shading. It can replicate 2D animation fairly well (and save a lot of time when you're animating a scene where a lot of things are moving at once), but sometimes it can look a bit stiff and unnatural. I think the stampeding wildebeest in TLK were actually animated using that same process.
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Postby Elton John » February 28th, 2015, 4:10 am

Disney got back james earl jones for star wars rebels, the newest animated star wars show. since mufasa is confirmed for tlg i wonder if they will bring him back here too.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements