New episode 'Lions of the outlands'?

Re: New episode 'Lions of the outlands'?

Postby Aelwen » October 14th, 2016, 11:35 am

[quote="Nilla"]

My "list" is short and reasonable anyway. To say that my wishes won't happen and roll your eyes at me is just mean. I said I wanted to see:
1. Depth to the outlanders
2. Make it clear that Kovu Vitani and Nuka are part of a larger pride
3. Outlander/Kiara interactions
4. Keep them relatively in character

[/quote]
It's a little kid's show. No we won't see any more depth, because little children don't need it. Kiara... maybe she will be in it maybe not. Im sure Kion and Kovu will be the main characters and Vitani will be a sidekick.
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Nilla » October 14th, 2016, 10:51 pm

I disagree, children do need depth, and they aren't too dumb that it'll confuse them. To teach children that others are bad because they live somewhere else is dangerous. Children are constantly learning how the world works, and that's not a lesson that they should be taught.

In SP, Vitani was misguided, her evil mother was all she knew, but she became good by the end. And Nuka only ever wanted to impress his mother and be noticed, and it got him killed. Neither character was ever evil, and I would be disappointed if TLG portrayed them as such just for the sake of needing a villain. Even if Vitani, Nuka, and Kovu are doing something bad, a comment about doing it because it's what their mom would do would really help.

My bar really could not be any lower you guys...
Nilla

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby Panpardus » October 15th, 2016, 4:15 am

I have to agree with Nilla; outside of my own desires for this show, as nice as the episodes have been so far, it'll be cool and beneficial to have a show aimed at younger children that actually starts to develop a series-long plot with multi-dimensional characters. Most of these episodes have so far been pretty insular; only about three or four at most (including Return of the Roar) have given some actual plot development in the greater story arc while the others are more or less just miscellaneous adventures. The way I see it, because the creators have at least gone through the trouble of placing Kion's story in such a specific point within an already-established setting, there's got to be some narrative arc that they need to build toward; the show isn't going to last forever (especially since the live-action film is going to be a thing in a few years and I see it as weird having these two story universes -- produced by the same company -- being aired concurrently) and it's going to have to have a satisfying finish for as large a swath of the audience as possible.

As far as the moral nuance, so far virtually every character in The Lion Guard has been portrayed as solidly good or bad, not so much by their actions but rather what "side" they're on. It's literally stated in at least a few episodes that Kion and his Guard are good by definition, and I have yet to see any of the major antagonists explicitly given a real reason for their actions, let alone a sympathetic or compelling reason. For instance, we can read into the situation that Janja and co. are primarily driven by hunger, but Jasiri's episode singles them out as just being disrespectful jerks who hunt for fun and couldn't give a flying [$@%^#] about the circle of life or maintaining some natural order. Makuu is clearly power-hungry, but everything he does as an antagonist after his first appearance is kind of "just because"; for instance, what is his motivation for taking over the flood plains in "Never Roar Again"? He made such a big scene (totally un-crocodilian if you ask me) and chased away all the other animals that he could've eaten (and told them to tell everyone about it), so what did he expect to gain from his land grab? Makucha (in my opinion the best antagonist this show's yet had) was a one-off villain whose ousting didn't seem to impart any moral lesson, and the attempted ecology lesson with regards to invasive species was pretty poorly executed.

I won't go through all of the antagonists for the sake of everyone's time (including my own), but my point here is that it would be great for this already relatively mature show to introduce aspects of a moral grey area to its younger audience so that they don't develop a mindset in which people can just be labelled bad by definition, definition here being where they come from, and the Outlander cubs -- whom a good portion of the viewing audience already is sympathetic towards and know how they turn out in the end of Simba's Pride -- are a great vehicle for that.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » October 15th, 2016, 4:47 am

This is a disney jr show. We aren't going to get super complex or nuanced characters or plots.

Judging by a lot of pre k shows i've watched with my nephews, tlg is as good as it gets. Most of them were plotless drivel or outright awful like the wiggles. The cgi mickey mouse stuff has what barely constitutes as a plot.

TLG by comparison has plots and characters. Real ones. Not the best ones, but a huge step above most shows for the age group.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby KionIsGay » October 15th, 2016, 5:25 am

I've personally never been hugely into the second movie, so timeline stuff really doesn't concern me. I'm mostly just excited for Jason Marsden, I don't care much for Nuka or Vitani. But hey, maybe their appearance in this episode will bring me around to them.
KionIsGay

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby gothprincesskiara » October 15th, 2016, 6:01 pm

THIS JUST IN!

Got new details on the episode

"LIONS OF THE OUTLANDS:
"The Lion Guard must choose whether to side with the hyenas or the lions when Jasiri, the good hyena, asks for help."

JASARI IS BACK! YAY! :happyjasiri:
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Elton John » October 15th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Hmm... interesting idea for a plot.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Panpardus » October 15th, 2016, 7:15 pm

I smell a lot of trouble brewing...
Panpardus

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » October 15th, 2016, 7:26 pm

That's a good thing. This ep has the potential to be the best one so far.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby gothprincesskiara » October 15th, 2016, 8:13 pm

um what about Jasiri coming back? those who wanted to see Jasiri back got there wish granted
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard