[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - What's your theory for the SP/TLG timeline? — My Lion King Forum

What's your theory for the SP/TLG timeline?

What's your theory for the SP/TLG timeline?

Postby Rollo » March 3rd, 2016, 7:08 pm

Possibly the biggest mystery fans have been faced with thanks to the introduction of TLG is how Simba's Pride fits into its canon timeline, and the TLK universe as a whole. We had no indication that Kion or even just a brother figure existed in SP, and by the time SP had ended, Kiara was all grown up and set to be Queen. In TLG, she's a teenager, with no mention of Kovu at all. So how do they things intertwine? Did SP even happen? What's the real story here?

For those of you who have a theory about what the 'new' timeline is, even if its just a segment of the entire story, share it below!

Let's see if we can crack this thing. :D

Here's mine so far:

Spoiler: show
I think its safe to say that TLG takes place in the middle of SP, beginning after Simba and Zira’s first confrontation when Kiara and Kovu are young cubs. Kovu seems to be to be a few months older than Kiara, mainly based on his appearance (a hair-tuft, something Kion might have but young Simba did not) and his personality. Yeah, he might be raised in a stern regime, but every young child has the instinct to want to play--Kiara even more so, indicating she might be a great deal younger than him. You could also use the fact that Simba is still marking paths for her as an indication. To me that suggests Kiara does not know her way around yet, so she needs the extra help, especially since she’s so curious. Also her reaction to seeing the Outlands suggests it could be her first, meaning she hasn’t yet been to most places in the Pridelands, making her fairly kiddish.

So the adults have their confrontation and Zira returns to take Kovu back to those termite mounts, which I’m assuming is in the heart of the Outlands and quite a distance from the Elephant Graveyard, which to me, judging by the first movie, is in the other direction, way past the watering hole. Considering the fact that the termite mount is located in what looks like a desert, this has to be a large way out from the Pridelands. Simba wouldn’t be at peace knowing they’re literally right at the borders, and in the first shot we get of the Outlands (when Kiara peers over the rock), there’s no sign of the termite mounds, which look incredibly tall since Zira climbs out the top of one in My Lullaby. You would be able to see them from where Kiara is, even if only an outline. My point here is that the Outlander’s home is a long way from the Pridelands, which is why we wouldn’t see it in TLG.

Zira begins to train Kovu, and seeing how he looks when we meet him again in SP, this has probably taken years. Zira wouldn’t want to rush it--she knows she can manipulate things here. If she sends Kovu out to kill Simba when he’s barely a teenager, there’s a good chance Simba could defeat him and kill him, and Kovu is their only chance. She’ll take her time. Kiara would not be seen as a worthy opponent to Zira and in her eyes is an easy kill. Judging by the third movie, which for the first time in history we will consider canon, Simba was out in the jungle with T&P for a long time. He’s a cub for a long while, then a teenager with a partial mane, then an adult. I believe someone once suggested that it would be seven years or so based on actual lions. That’s enough time for the Pridelands to completely waste away, for Nala to grow up, old enough to be a mother and a queen (I know we’re humanizing a bit here, but still), and for Simba to gain a full mane (even just after HM, it looks fully grown.)

Kovu’s mane, to me, is getting there but not yet full. It doesn’t quite run down his chest the way Simba’s does. He’s in his late teens, perhaps. So based on that we can assume that Kovu was being trained for about five or six years.

Kion is born not long after the confrontation. Simba is at peace because Zira, busy training Kovu, has not been seen in the Pridelands for years. With that reassurance, he begins to focus on training Kiara to be Queen. Some of the other lionesses in the Pride, either there from the beginning or recently joined, have brought their own girl cubs who distract Kiara from thinking about her encounter with Kovu. Kion is just a little older when he is awarded the duty of the Guard--maybe the same age Kovu was when he and Kiara first met, judging by the hair tuft.

TLG Kiara, to me, is the same age teenager Simba was in 1 1/2, or at least around that. It’s harder to tell with the lionesses because they have no mane. She’s grown up and is mentally maturing, and beginning to realise that she has no choice in whether she wants to be Queen or not, so she might as well make the most of it. She’s also learning how to hunt, all things teenage lionesses would go through.

And what about those pesky hyenas? I propose that they probably moved into the volcano (?) when the Outlanders appeared to be gone for good. Janja saw the opportunity to take the food that would normally go to them (i.e nothing) and decided he and his other runaway hyenas would take over their role as the OTHER carnivores. Of course, he soon realises there is virtually nothing to eat, so he ventures into the Pridelands to hunt instead.

For years, that’s just how it is. No Outlanders. Not until Kovu reaches Zira’s desired age--a young adult.

Something must’ve happened to cause Kion and the Guard to move out. I know Janja would crap his stripey pants at the thought of Zira returning because he can barely handle a lion cub. Someone made an excellent suggestion that the Guard left to get help when it appeared Zira was returning, but you wonder how they would know they’re coming back. Anyway, Kovu comes back and SP begins again. Kion doesn’t return until post-SP. The reason it would be so easy for Kovu to get away with his plan (as well as Vitani and Nuka causing trouble like a fire) is because the Guard isn’t there.

Rafiki’s first indication that the Outlanders are returning could’ve been through Mufasa’s message to join the prides again. And the reason for Kiara being a lousy hunter could be because Tiifu and Zuri never really took it all that seriously. Tiifu wanted to, but is too excitable. Zuri is a pessimistic pain.

Also, Tiifu and Zuri could’ve easily left with the Guard, or simply found mates from other prides and left.

And all the while, Zira would have no idea about the Guard. It's a Pridelander tradition, it only concerns the royal family. There's a lot of theories you could have here but personally, I don't think Scar would be so keen to talk about how he misused his power. He'd probably lie to her and knowing Zira's obsession with him she would believe it.
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 29

Re: What's your theory for the SP/TLG timeline?

Postby Elton John » March 3rd, 2016, 7:15 pm

SP happened because kovu will be in the show.

My guess is that kiara and kion were littermates with kion being second out. Show takes place in between the sp time skip where kiara is a bit older and more mature.

I'm guessing kion doesn't know about kovu because he was goofing off with bunga when kiara met kovu for first time.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby gothprincesskiara » March 3rd, 2016, 10:24 pm

Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Rollo » March 3rd, 2016, 10:29 pm

I like the idea that it was We Are One that inspired Kiara to follow her role in life. Kinda sweet!
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KionofTheLionGuard » March 4th, 2016, 12:26 am

Like this theory a lot!
KionofTheLionGuard
I protect the Pridelands,

My Family, and the Circle of Life!

Pride Points: 17

Postby gothprincesskiara » March 4th, 2016, 2:01 am

good news is that it has been confirmed that Kovu Vitani and Nuka will make an appearance ;)
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby KionofTheLionGuard » March 4th, 2016, 2:12 am

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]good news is that it has been confirmed that Kovu Vitani and Nuka will make an appearance ;)[/quote]

I've known that for a while now. Can't wait to see em!
KionofTheLionGuard
I protect the Pridelands,

My Family, and the Circle of Life!

Pride Points: 17

Postby Gaze » March 4th, 2016, 10:33 am

I really prefer to just consider TLG and SP as taking place in different universes, tbh, and not have to worry abt making both of them fit together somehow....but it is definitely fun and interesting to consider how they would work together.....

I definitely agree that the best theory is that TLG takes place mid-SP, and the Guard are absent in the later part of SP because they had to leave for whatever reason. but it's hard to decide what sort of situation would have prompted them to leave! anything outside of the Pridelands is outside of their jurisdiction, so I think it'd have to be something very serious, or something that would also benefit the Pridelands in some way. I don't think it'd be because they were looking for help - they'd be unlikely to have any idea about the Outlanders being up to something, and there's no indication of some other emergency going on that Simba would be concerned about.

so yeah, seems more likely to me that they'd be helping out someone outside the Pridelands, or maybe going on some sort of quest/mission type thing....the possibilities are endless....but at the end of the day....I just wish TLG actually took place after SP, in a way that makes sense w/ the SP timeline, with Kiara as an adult )~:
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Rollo » March 4th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Sorry if I made it seem as though I wasn't aware the SP trio were making a return - I've known that since the beginning too. But that doesn't confirm that the events of SP actually did take place, or at least the important ones like Kovu and Kiara's relationship. It only confirms the return of the characters. TLG could easily change the timeline to fit their new canon.

Yeah, Sadiki, I agree that TLG should've taken place post SP. It still doesn't make sense to me why they had to change the timeline so drastically. I don't mind it at all because I really like TLG, but I think they've created so many unnecessary difficulties for themselves, as well as warding off a good handful of fans who really like SP.
Rollo

Postby TTB-Kun » March 4th, 2016, 7:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Omp8gkUbCE
You see this? At the end, the look Nala gave Simba. EXACTLY! Bedroom eyes! That's where Kion came from imho.
Also, Simba telling Timon and Pumba to follow Kiara, it's just a way to make sure that she will stay out of the way for a wile XD
TTB-Kun

Pride Points: 11

Next

Return to The Lion Guard