Bunga; or the lion guard writers trying too hard to make...

Bunga; or the lion guard writers trying too hard to make...

Postby Elton John » February 16th, 2016, 1:50 am

A break out character.

The one character that most people love, or that kids think is cool, or trying to recreate past successes without understanding why those things worked.

On one hand you have jasiri, a cute looking loveable character that most people actually love because it didn't feel like the writers were trying to make an artificially popular character by pandering... A character that people love because she's very humanlike in personality and isn't a walking, farting catchphrase spewing one dimensional bore. She has no merch currently and that's a shame. I have seen a lot of well drawn fanart of her on da. People like her more than the new hyena trio and not just because she's a good hyena.

Then you have bunga. It's not unbungalievable that he's the least popular character on the show, at least for older fans of the franchise.

It feels like the writers want their own 'timon and pumbaa' meaning, a breakout character that is popular and well loved by many... But forgetting that timon and pumbaa had more of a personality to them beyond 'hakuna matata'. And HM was a better song than zuka zama.

Thankfully we are getting two fuli centric episodes. I want to like her but she doesn't have much of a backstory yet... Or a real personality beyond being super serious.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Bunga; or the lion guard writers trying too hard to make

Postby zerodix » February 16th, 2016, 4:49 am

my thoughts exactly. i really dont see what bunga adds to the show.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Alexterri1 » February 16th, 2016, 4:52 am

Ugggh I completely agree. I know that we're only six episodes in and its too early to really judge, but I can safely say that bunga is my least favourite character in the show BY FAR. Basically for the same reasons I hate timon and pumbaa. I honestly think that Jasiri is a much more interesting and likable character then he is, and Jasiri has almost no merchandise!
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby Gaze » February 16th, 2016, 5:21 am

I agree that, in many ways, Bunga is a bit of an over-the-top character whose catchphrases are way too repetitive, but I really disagree with the general opinion that he is completely annoying with no redeeming qualities. especially in recent episodes, I think he's had a surprising number of funny lines, and he has a cute design. I very much enjoy the strong friendship and loyalty between him and Kion and think it's very sweet.

additionally, Zuka Zama is one of the best songs from the series IMO and I think it indicates quite a well-developed sense of self on Bunga's part - he's just a kid, but he knows what's important to him and what he values. of course, throwing yourself into dangerous situations without thinking isn't always a good thing to do, but overall I think "zuka zama" as a catchphrase is less about throwing caution to the wind and more about making the best of bad things, taking opportunities that come your way, allowing yourself to take a chance.......etc.

that being said, I don't get particularly excited about seeing Bunga, I have no intention to buy merch featuring him, and I wouldn't consider him a favorite character. but I still find it quite difficult to hate a fictional character and think people should go a little easier on poor Bunga. plus, I personally don't have any young children in my life, so I can't say from experience what kids tend to think of Bunga as a character. but I can only assume there are a number of conventionally 'boyish' young boys out there (Bunga's target audience, I assume) who appreciate him.

it would be neat to see an episode focused on Bunga that is a little 'deeper.' something that isn't mainly a source of comic relief, but rather some really solid and interesting character development for him.
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Elton John » February 16th, 2016, 8:23 am

My complaint about the song 'zuka zama' is that the lyrics don't flow very well at all.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Carl » February 16th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I don't have anything against him. He isn't my favorite, but he isn't my least favorite character either. I don't know why so many people despise him so.

That said, my 7 year old cousin did describe Bunga as "a failure," and list Kion, Jasiri, and Fuli as his favorites. I don't know what other kids think, but there you have it. It may also be worth noting however, that he's said he "likes all the good guys" and that he hates Janja and his clan.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Alexterri1 » February 16th, 2016, 4:37 pm

[quote="Elton John"]My complaint about the song 'zuka zama' is that the lyrics don't flow very well at all.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. The beat is catchy but the lyrics aren't the greatest. I still like the song more then other people seem to, though.
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby Rollo » February 16th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Last edited by Rollo on February 27th, 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Postby Elton John » February 16th, 2016, 7:44 pm

It's not a good motto to live by but it is a very catchy song.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Rollo » February 16th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Last edited by Rollo on February 27th, 2020, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Next

Return to The Lion Guard