Cant wait to be Queen SPOILER!

Re: Cant wait to be Queen SPOILER!

Postby Nilla » January 30th, 2016, 11:17 pm

[quote="Tora"]Perhaps I misjudged it slightly. My point is that the episode put so much emphasis on the idea that "SHE" is queen, and that "SHE" is in charge. Yes they both had problems and they should have listened to each other. However if "SHE" would have let him do his job instead of issuing decrees just because she was Queen then Kion would never have second guessed his choices. He wouldn't have said lets move the bees. He simply was being spiteful because she told him what to do. I'm just trying to point out it always seems as though especially lately that Disney seems to relish the idea of female characters being leaders. I'll admit atleast Kiara didn't expect Kion to bow down before her. I honestly think the day she demands it he will challenge her for the throne. I digress though maybe I just see something no one else does. :kionoops:[/quote]
Kiara has always been the princess/queen. Why are you mad that they used pronouns? Would you be mad if Kion was in charge and they said "HE" is the king? The males are usually in charge, and maybe that's why it sticks out to you when a female gets to be in charge.
Also, I'd argue against Kiara being in charge at all. Kion has all the power (the roar, the guard) and he was calling all the shots. And the real ruler of the pridelands is Simba anyway, Kiara just got a day where she was sort of ruler with no real power.
I bet if you started count of the gender of everyone you see in a leadership position, in disney and elsewhere, you'd realize that the majority of leaders aren't girls. Why do you think people make such a big deal out of it when it DOES happen?
edit: I also want to ask you how disney only making 1/5th of the guard girls is "trying too hard to empower girls"? one of the glaring problems with the lion guard is that it's sexist, and i'm sorry but i can't believe i found someone who thinks it's trying too hard to empower girls
Nilla

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby Gaze » January 31st, 2016, 12:47 am

re: Nilla and Tora -
I do generally agree with the above post. I know sometimes people get tired of the excitement over girl characters as leaders, or as main characters, or even just as solidly developed characters who have depth. but there's a reason people get excited when that happens - it's still the norm for male characters to be lead characters, play the most important roles. etc. and it's still normal to get unbelievably stereotypical girl characters like Zuri (and apparently Tiifu now!)

Kiara happens to be the heir to the throne, which is a fact that was established back in 1998, so it shouldn't really be surprising that emphasis in this episode was put on her being in a position of power. the two heirs to the throne before her were male, and even the semi-canon ones we know about (Ahadi and Mohatu) were male, so really, a female leader was overdue by the time SP rolled around.

additionally, Kiara's mistake was giving Kion bad instructions on how to handle the bee situation, but I don't think she was in the wrong to give him a decree. though the Guard is deeply important, I assume they're still subordinate to the actual ruler and it would make sense if Simba also gives Kion specific instructions on occasion. that's probably part of how they work together.

I hope I don't sound too angry or argumentative on this topic - no hard feelings, really! I just am very strong in my belief that no matter how much I love The Lion Guard, it just isn't true to say it does a good job at representing or empowering girls.
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby escobea1 » January 31st, 2016, 1:05 am

Didn't Kiara give Kion good instructions? She decreed that Kion and the Lion Guard move the eland herd from the bees, but Kion chose to move the bees to show that he had more say in what the Lion Guard did.
That backfired pretty badly. ;)
Oh and it's alright Sadiki! Speaking for myself, I'm having a lot of fun watching the show and discussing the series here, no matter the opinion.

Also, I think Kion's choice to go against his sister's decision was that he could not accept someone other than his parents to give him orders on his job. He probably learned to be open minded to different animals' say in leadership. The bee outcome seemed to be more Kion's fault than Kiara's. So kudos to Kiara for acting as a considerate queen. She probably learned not to be too trustworthy of animals' pleas or requests. Reverse learning for both siblings right?
escobea1

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nilla » January 31st, 2016, 1:54 am

[quote="Sadiki"]I just am very strong in my belief that no matter how much I love The Lion Guard, it just isn't true to say it does a good job at representing or empowering girls.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly!
I know I can't be up in arms about it all the time, because it's exhausting and just makes me mad without really changing anything, but I think it's really important to talk about these things. Especially because it's a kids show that will influence the way the children who see it think.
Nilla

Postby SimbasGuard » January 31st, 2016, 9:17 am

I don't really know what I can say about the episode that hasn't already been said. So the points that jumped out at me were.

I love Kiara and Kion's relationship getting more of a focus.

The Elephant funeral actually brought tears to my eyes.

Tifu :eyeroll:

Poor Simba, he tried so hard to give his friend the proper tribute. Although it turned out O.K.

No Roar :thumbsup:

Something I liked about the episode is after Kion saved Kiara, their was a mutual understanding that they would then fight alongside one another. Not that Kion expected Kiara to stand back while he fought in her defense. (I loved how Kiara was the one to say "Lion Guard Defend")

As for Simba treating Kion differently than he does Kiara. perhaps (and yes I know I am grabbing at straws her) Kion does not enjoy displays of affection. His Father acknowledged him and judging by the way he smiled in response, that was enough for him.

In regards to were the adult Lionesses of the pride were, I have Two theories.

#1. The lions of the Pride Lands are humanized to the point that they eat three times a day. So anytime there is a scene at Pride Rock they the lioness are out hunting for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner.

#2. Disney Jr. spent most of The Lion Guard's budget getting James Earl Jones to voice Mufasa in Return of the Roar, as such they can not afford any extra Lionesses.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Squeely » January 31st, 2016, 10:46 am

[quote="Sadiki"]I just am very strong in my belief that no matter how much I love The Lion Guard, it just isn't true to say it does a good job at representing or empowering girls.[/quote]
Agreed. I don't see why they couldn't have made more of the Guard female. TLG still has the potential to get better at empowering girls if they work in more positive traits for Zuri and Tiifu and give them, Kiara, and Fuli decently large roles. It still probably wouldn't be that great at it, but it would at least be a little better.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Rollo » January 31st, 2016, 12:40 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Lion Guard is male-oriented. Why that is, I have no idea. No other TLK material that I've seen had a target gender in mind - even The Lion King 1 1/2 was a very gender neutral film, the way it should be. I'm not sure why Disney feels TLG would appeal more to boys than girls, but that is the vibe I'm getting from the show, unfortunately. It doesn't make me like it any less, but it is very disappointing.

Kiara was a good female lead in TLK 2. Nala was even better in TLK. Simba, both as a cub and an adult, was not too boisterous or overly masculine and could be relatable to both boys and girls. So why is Kion so obviously boyish?

Even when they released the design for Kion I felt something was slightly off. I can understand that they'll want to make it clear that he's a different cub to Simba for the benefit of young viewers who could be confused, but why did he get a cool mohawk and a cool magical power while Kiara's entire character was degraded to nothing more than a stroppy older sister? It's hardly fair, seeing how, along with Fuli, she should be our biggest female representative. Kiara was playful and fun-loving in TLK 2, and while her age and her newly-acquired responsibility would tone that down, she's not even close to being how she was in the second film. Tiifu and Zuri have turned into clones of one another. The fact that Fuli is the only female in the Guard could be to her credit if she hadn't been reduced to the typical 'strong-willed independent female against a group of boys' trope.

The Guard does manage to redeem itself in Ono and Beshte, who are two very neutral characters. There's nothing masculine about either of them other than Beshte's strength, but he's a hippo, and I'm sure that would've been retained if he was a girl. Bunga is the character intended for little boys. I wouldn't mind that so much if Kion was a little more neutral-looking, or if we had another female member of the Guard.

I think it would've been better if Bunga was replaced with a female character acting as Kion's best friend. I would've probably enjoyed his character traits better if he was a girl because it'd be so unlike other female characters in other kids shows. And it'd be even better if they didn't have a romantic sub-plot, though I will admit that I don't think TLG is going to go down that route at all, thankfully.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Postby Nilla » January 31st, 2016, 3:40 pm

[quote="Squeely"]Agreed. I don't see why they couldn't have made more of the Guard female. TLG still has the potential to get better at empowering girls if they work in more positive traits for Zuri and Tiifu and give them, Kiara, and Fuli decently large roles. It still probably wouldn't be that great at it, but it would at least be a little better.[/quote]
Don't forget Nala! She's really been pushed in the background, only showing up to give simba support. Do we ever even see her talking directly to kiara or kion?
Similarly, I wonder, has this show ever passed the bechdel test? For those unfamiliar, it's a test with movies and tv shows where they pass if two named female characters talk to each other about something other than boys. I remember fuli saying "i like her already" referring to jasiri, but that's not talking TO her, that's talking about her to the boys in front of her. Maybe it passed last episode with Kiara, tiifu, and zuri? I really can't remember that happening? :roll:
Nilla

Postby Carl » January 31st, 2016, 4:14 pm

[quote="Tora"][quote="Sadiki"]I'm a little confused by this. how did the episode make it seem like the girls knew best all the time? Kion and Kiara both had moments in which they were misguided and had to admit they were wrong and the other was right. neither character was presented as the most all-knowing. gender didn't appear to have anything to do with this plot point at all.
if anything, I'd like to see TLG be better about empowering young girls. the show has already disappointed in this realm numerous times, and the only thing that's happened so far to redeem it a bit IMO is the character of Jasiri. but maybe now we can put the added depth of Kiara's character on the list, too![/quote]
Perhaps I misjudged it slightly. My point is that the episode put so much emphasis on the idea that "SHE" is queen, and that "SHE" is in charge. Yes they both had problems and they should have listened to each other. However if "SHE" would have let him do his job instead of issuing decrees just because she was Queen then Kion would never have second guessed his choices. He wouldn't have said lets move the bees. He simply was being spiteful because she told him what to do. I'm just trying to point out it always seems as though especially lately that Disney seems to relish the idea of female characters being leaders. I'll admit atleast Kiara didn't expect Kion to bow down before her. I honestly think the day she demands it he will challenge her for the throne. I digress though maybe I just see something no one else does. :kionoops:[/quote]
The emphasis placed on Kiara being in charge has nothing to do with her gender. Like most parents would, Simba placed his oldest child in charge when leaving for his duties. In my household, when we were kids, my sister was put in charge of my brother and me because she was oldest. My neighbor had two sons, when she left them alone, the older one was left in charge. The canon of the TLK universe dictates that Kiara is the heir to the throne, and, as the eldest, it would be sexist to relegate that duty to Kion just because he's male. Kiara's friends placed emphasis on her being in charge, also, as did Bunga, and Ono, but the show itself did not.

Let me explain.

Kiara is told she's to be acting queen for a few days by her father, the king, and she seems a bit uncertain about it. Kion is uncertain too. However, Ono, Bunga, Tiifu, and Zuri make a big deal out of it, especially Tiifu and Zuri, who are behaving as any kids/teens would in this situation, they are trying to stay on Kiara's good side and get her to do what they want because she, their friend, suddenly has power. They aren't royal and they'll never have other animals bowing before them, so they're trying to live vicariously through Kiara, not that this is necessarily conscious or deliberate. At first, she simply suggests that Kion do something about the bees, but it is only after she's prodded by her friends that she declares it is an order. Tiifu and Zuri started the whole "royal decree" thing, not Kiara. With the way they and Bunga were acting, of course the position went to her head a little.

Kion is, as any younger sibling would be, frustrated that his older sibling gets to order him around. He chooses not to listen and ends up messing things up. We can't say for sure whether or not he'd have made the right call in regards to the bee situation had Kiara not given him an order, but we do know that he deliberately chose not to do what she suggested simply because it was her idea. Later on, he had to rescue her when she chose deliberately not to listen to him. The Lion Guard and the ruler are supposed to act together, they are supposed to advise and discuss things together when this kind of thing happens and actually heed one another. Kion and Kiara were both shown to be in the wrong because they let their petty sibling squabbles get in the way. The show is in fact emphasizing that Kiara's not ready to be queen just yet, and that Kion still has a ways to go himself. If anything, the show was emphasizing that Simba shouldn't entrust the Pride Lands to kids without any adult supervision/advising.

Furthermore, I disagree that the show is going too far to empower females. You said something to me about feminism on Skype, in a sort of negative connotation, and I honestly don't think feminism is what you think it is. Real feminism is about men and women being equal, and yes that is showing through in the show. It doesn't seem to be saying females are better than males though--unless you're taking Jasiri's comments about Kion being male the wrong way. In hyena society, females are the leaders; they are more physically powerful and they are dominant. Her comments were to make the show realistic as to her species. The configuration of the Lion Guard (being an all-male, one female group) does show that this is targeted more at boys. Note also that the only two characters shown to always be in the right so far are Rafiki and Mufasa; both male.

In RotR and again here in CWtbQ, Kiara had to be rescued by Kion. That's not empowering her. If anything, it's implying that she's incapable of taking care of herself. Indeed, your reaction to the episode shows that Kiara is not being presented in a positive light, nor are Tiifu and Zuri. If the show truly was empowering females and trying to place emphasis on Kiara's position, they'd be showing her as closer to Nala in personality, she'd be right most of the time and not presented to us through the eyes of her younger brother. We're seeing her as the annoying older sibling because that's how Kion sees her. The only females on this show who are presented in a positive way are Nala, Jasiri, and Fuli, all of whom don't have much screen time as yet. Tiifu and Zuri are presented as annoying, and Kiara, while shown to sometimes be mature and reasonable is generally presented in a negative light as well. And with that, I've listed all of the named female characters who've appeared thusfar. We don't even see random lionesses like in the films. And those hippo girls just existed to make eyes at Beshte.

Despite female hyenas leading the clans, all of our hyena villains are males and they are being led by a male. This is not only contradictory to nature, but it also give a male a position of power where it makes no sense. Mzingo is male, Kion, Beshte, Ono, Rafiki, Bunga, Simba, Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Zazu... the simple fact that we have so many more male characters than females shows that it is more male oriented. Personally I hate it in any show when a single gender dominates over the other (MLP, for example, has signifcantly fewer male characters). The Lion Guard always tends to save the day, but the ideas they have that do so are typically only Kion's ideas.

Simba's treatment of Kiara as opposed to Kion doesn't seem out of place either if you look at many parents. Most favor their oldest child anyway, subconsciously they just do. Additionally, dads tend to show more emotion towards daughters and be more protective of them and encouraging of them than sons. Dads tend to assume their sons don't need/want displays of affection and that they are in less danger of getting into trouble... because dads tend to imagine their little girl is sweet, naive, and innocent, and that males will want to take advantage of her. It's expected also that he'd be more affectionate to the child he has to spend more time with (he has to train her to be queen, and as we saw, Kion disrupts their lessons, and has other things to attend to).

Despite Simba favoring Kiara, however, the show does not.

I personally think that if they add in a few more female characters and give the ones we have already more depth, the show will be pretty balanced. That said, I don't see anything wrong with Fuli's presentation.

And finally, on an unrelated note, while I did enjoy the episode and was quite pleased to see more of Nala, Simba, and Zazu, and impressed with the elephant's funeral... The animation on Nala and Zazu is super wonky, even for the rest of this show. I really wish they'd try a little harder to make them move a bit more smoothly. Other than that, I was glad to see more traces of Nala's original personality (unlike what they did to her in SP), and I liked the way they interacted with Zazu, and Simba's uncertainty about his role in the funeral; it makes sense with his character and makes him less OOC than he's been. There were some flaws with the episode (like the absent lionesses), but in the end it did its job well enough, and displayed the importance of admitting when you're wrong, whether you're the leader of the Lion Guard or the Lion Queen. It made it quite clear that mistakes happen, on your part and on the part of those close to you, and I really don't see the episode itself as making any statements one way or the other about one gender or the other being better than the other. It presented Kiara and Kion as pretty much equals.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Nilla » January 31st, 2016, 5:40 pm

^Good analysis right there^
The only thing I disagree with is you saying that feminism isn't what Tora thinks it is, that it's about equality. While you know him better than me, having skype chats and all, I get the feeling that he wouldn't be supportive of a feminism about equality. Him being frustrated about a female being in charge, even though she's the oldest, and thinking the lion guard (a sexist show, like many of you guys agreed with) is trying too hard to empower females, leads me to think that he's comfortable in a society where women are below men, and doesn't want that to change. He's probably not intentionally being malicious though, just ignorant.
I'm totally making assumptions about someone I don't know, sorry. He can't be all bad if he's a lion king fan LOL
Nilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard