Why do so many people want the original actors back?

Why do so many people want the original actors back?

Postby Elton John » November 28th, 2015, 4:19 pm

When actors sign on to voice a character they aren't obligated to voice that character in sequels or whatnot unless it is in the contract they signed.

While it's nice to have veteran actors return GASP it's not the end of the world if they get someone new.

I've seen a lot of complaints about simba not sounding like broderick in the original. Do people think rob lowe is a bad simba because he doesn't sound like broderick or because of stiff acting? I think he sounds fine, just that he doesn't sound like broderick.

It has been 21 and a half years, most of the original actors have moved on to other things.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Why do so many people want the original actors back?

Postby Captain Cupcake » November 28th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Technically, it's been just over a decade since some of the cast's last involvement with the franchise, barring a few returning in KH2 after the third film.

Anyway, I don't mind Lowe playing as Simba. I like that his voice strikes a balance between a regal figure and someone who's still in his prime. I always found that Broderick's particular voice really only suited the character in the coming-of-age storyline of the original movie. It fits a softer, less aged protagonist who was just beginning to mature and take on his responsibilities. Of course, realistically, a person's voice doesn't just randomly change like that so easily, but from a storytelling point of view, the switch is pretty fitting for a post-TLK Simba. I think that's what the producers had in mind when deciding to recast him, given that they probably could have gotten Cam Clarke to return if they just wanted someone to mimic Broderick again.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby SimbasMate » November 28th, 2015, 10:36 pm

I don't even know who half the friggin' cast is, so it would be nice if the older voice actors returned. Plus it would be nice for the future generation of the whipper snappers to experience Matthew Broderick's wonderful voice and singing.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby TheLionPrince » November 28th, 2015, 11:19 pm

It doesn't apply just to us Lion King fans, but all fans of popular media in general. Yes, some actors don't sign long-time contracts to reprise their iconic roles, and they don't have if they don't want to. But, we fans want to see them reprise the roles because we're comfortable with them. You would get the same reaction from people if somebody else replaced Harrison Ford for Han Solo or Indiana Jones in an upcoming movie. Heck, fans pushed for the filmmakers to bring back Michelle Rodriguez for Fast & Furious 6, and unsuccessfully for Cindy Morgan to return in Tron: Legacy. And if you read interviews of Moira Kelly about TLK, you can tell she enjoyed voicing Nala and would love to do it again. I'm not sure why Kelly didn't come back since Nala is a minor character in this series and she worked on television before with One Tree Hill.

As for Rob Lowe voicing Simba, it's just jarring to hear a rougher voice for Simba. Keep in mind, Matthew Broderick was the first actor to sign on to The Lion King during production, and in an interview with Don Hahn, he claimed he was chosen because he could play a "kind of character who could be irresponsible and likeable, but you also felt that he could come back in a very heroic way", and while it doesn't please everyone, it's understandable because adult Simba starts out immature and his boyish voice proves it. I understand Broderick has a busy career, but I think there's no excuse why Cam Clarke couldn't do it.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » November 28th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Isn't cam clarke retired?

And I guess a lot of people forget that tlk had a lot of big name stars in it. Actors that are probably too expensive for a tv series. I'm predicting that james earl jones in tlg is a one and done thing.

Robin Williams declined voicing genie for kingdom hearts because they wouldn't pay him the million he wanted. He was originaly paid below 100,000 for the original movie. The tlk actors were probably paid close to that. Now that tlk is a known success I can imagine a lot of veteran actors asking for bigger paychecks.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Captain Cupcake » November 29th, 2015, 12:14 am

[quote="Elton John"]Robin Williams declined voicing genie for kingdom hearts because they wouldn't pay him the million he wanted..[/quote]

Is there a reliable source to that? Given that Genie's role was relatively small, it seems a little odd that they'd try to get Williams back for it. One would assume Castellaneta would be the first choice for projects like these.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby KiovuLove » November 29th, 2015, 3:02 am

I think he sounds a bit too deep. Too serious. I mean yes simba wanted to follow in his father's paw prints but his seriousness wasn't in his voice really. I have heard a little bit of the old simba in his voice but...eh it's a bit less...characteristic.
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby Kiana » November 29th, 2015, 6:14 am

[quote="KiovuLove"]I think he sounds a bit too deep. Too serious. I mean yes Simba wanted to follow in his father's paw prints but his seriousness wasn't in his voice really. I have heard a little bit of the old Simba in his voice but...eh it's a bit less...characteristic.[/quote]
I agree, the old animation back would be nice too ,but we are talking little kids are gonna see this, so they wont care. US on the other hand have permission to have a freak-out moment! :P

Huge thank you to Carl Skywalker for this amazing signature! And all rights go to him for the buttons

ImageImageImage
Kiana
I Don't Need an Avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I AM the Avatar

Telegram: @Miluca24
Pride Points: 19

Postby SimbaPrescott » November 30th, 2015, 12:39 am

I don't mind new voice actors, even when they sound completely different. I've seen so many come and go for other characters...

The only thing is, I don't personally feel like Rob Lowe was a good fit for Simba. I don't hear as many different emotions in his voice as I do in the rest of the cast. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Squeely » December 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm

I don't mind the new voice actors. Sure, the originals are the best, but since it's been over 20 years since then, it's no biggie to me. Rob Lowe may sound pretty different from Broderick, but he's a fine choice for Simba imo.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Next

Return to The Lion Guard