Saddeningly disappointed with the reveals so far.

Saddeningly disappointed with the reveals so far.

Postby HereWeStand » August 24th, 2015, 5:31 am

Unpopular opinion ahead, please stop reading if you don't want rain on your parade.

Reading all the topics here and about all the reveals so far, I can't help but to feel isolated in thinking this is not going to be as good as a lot of fans believe it's going to be. Of course the film/show aren't out yet so it might be considered unfair to judge it so early, but it's puzzling to see so much positivity towards it, which looks very... unwarranted. I understand it's exciting to have new TLK material at last as a fandom, but I'm afraid the hypetrain might be overlooking a LOT that seems very wrong with this show so far.

For one, this whole "Roar of The Elders" concept seems very unnecessary and lore-breaking. I just don't find that it fits in the current lore of TLK at ALL, I understand the original film wasn't supposed to be 100% realistic but it did have some limits to realism and this looks like it's crossing this limit. A superhero Deus Ex Machina roar appearing in the pre-established lore out of nowhere despite never being mentioned in the first film (Scar, too, was a second-born - I know we had a reveal about him too and will get back to him later) just... doesn't fit in. Now, I expect the response to be this: "But this is supposed to be a preschooler audience!" No, I don't think that's a good enough excuse. I'm usually not an advocate for young children but I'm fairly certain you can make something entertaining to them without having it involve superhero abilities, especially in a show that's supposed to educate about wildlife. In short it looks like an unnecessary, unrealistic addition to the universe with no real reason beyond "toddlers will be attracted to superhero stuff", which is false and pleasing neither kids nor older fans. (Just how many kids loved the first film which didn't involve superheroes, anyways? :/)

Getting back on Scar, the explanation for his Lion Guard status seemed, likewise, very unbelievable. For one, it's implied that Scar literally committed murder with this 'power' and such lost it. Scar as a full adult, of course, is a very intelligent and manipulative character, but remember this might be a younger Scar, and thus less experienced in his scheming. Consider the fact that the Roar of The Elders is so exceedingly flashy - the mere volume of that roar would be enough to be heard by plenty of witnesses to this crime, and if that weren't enough, it'd be hard to ignore the visual of the Great Kings of The Past in the sky, therefore it's VERY unlikely there was no witness to this crime. But even if there WERE no witnesses, how would anyone be able to excuse Scar forever losing his power, especially if they were aware that it's only lost if you commit such evil with it? How did no one connect the dots of the disappearance of his Lion Guard and the loss of his power? Is the royal family really that foolish? And how did Rafiki not find out about his Lion Guard treachery through the Great Kings, considering in Simba's Pride which is apparently canon to the show he's able to communicate with Mufasa's spirit?? If he did get caught, how come he wasn't exiled for second degree murder? (Knowing Scar, it could even have been first-degree murder, which makes his position even worse.) Maybe the writers will come up with a believable excuse for this, but for now I'm not buying it. (Personally, I also feel it undervalues Scar's motives for the throne - he had purely selfish reasons in mind in the first film, and this is replacing those reasons with this "entitlement" to the throne because of this power - what? Scar doesn't need a reason besides pure selfishness and egotism, this just seems silly.)

Thirdly... so far, the characters have left me with a bad first impression. Kion is normal enough, but Bunga... god, I had a very hard time watching the sneak peek because he was just so unlikeable as a character to me. Maybe I'm alone in this and it's an subjective opinion, but his stereotypically brattish attitude will be very difficult to swallow. In fact, I don't understand how some people seem to like him, yet dislike Timon and Pumbaa, when in my opinion he acts worse than them (or Timon, Pumbaa is reasonable enough), and this might only get worse if he's really their adopted nephew. Can't say much better for the hyenas, but I suppose this is usually how they act anyways, so I'll give them a pass, but I feel as if it'll be a difficult show to watch for some fans if more characters are similar. Of course, this may be proven completely wrong in the film/show, but this is the impression it has given me so far.

Now for a few minor nitpicks, I will admit that the colouring is far superior to Simba's Pride and more true to the original, which is a big plus so I'll give them that - but the animation itself in the sneak peek is a bit... choppy? I noticed it's certainly not as smooth as other shows they've released in the past (even the Timon and Pumbaa series, which is very infamous in this fandom), which is a bit disappointing, though I'm hoping that's because it's only a sneak peek and it will be improved. I'd also like to mention Kion's design which is strangely unrealistic and standoffish compared to what lions normally look like in the universe, so he's ended up looking a lot like an OC sparklelion. This is possibly more catering to preschool audiences, but isn't his status as Simba's second-born son (and his Roar) enough for him to stand off on his own and not be overshadowed by his older sister? Was this really necessary?

To finally end this post, my final thoughts after all this would be that from the reveals we've gotten so far, unless some very brilliant writing is involved (unlikely, if it's meant to be a 'preschooler' show), this might just end up being Disney's next cashcow and violation of the lore of an older classic. I certainly hope this isn't the case, but if it does end up being that, it'll be very, very, disappointing. :/

Edit: Meant to say subjective and not objective, whoops. :lol:
Last edited by HereWeStand on August 24th, 2015, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HereWeStand
-

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Saddeningly disappointed with the reveals so far.

Postby Elton John » August 24th, 2015, 5:50 am

The positivity is there because expectations by most were at rock bottom. Even for someone like me who was cautiously optimistic didn't expect the level of quality we got.

I don't think anybody expects this show to be at the same level of the first movie....or even the second.

Also i'm tired, so I will respond to a lot of points you make which I feel are way off base tomorrow. Esp with your views on scar.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby DGFone » August 24th, 2015, 6:23 am

Keep in mind that for a lot of new things with The Lion Guard, they didn't exist in the movies, so the writers basically had to go in and 're-write' things to try and make the old and the new fit. This is called retconning.

For example, with Scar and his lion guard - I do also feel like the excuse they came up with is rather flimsy, but what else can they do?

At the and of the day, there are some things you will have to ignore and forgive if you will want to enjoy the TV show.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Simbaholikov » August 24th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I have to agree.
TLG looks very, very, trashy from the preview thus far.

It feels like a massive slap in the face to older fans to have something so blatantly childish, and no the "Oh it is for older fans because they have kids!!" doesn't fly, not to mention for one it's disgusting to expect people to have kids but also plenty of older fans don't plan on having kids anytime soon (Because having kids in your 20s is far too early, but I digress) and they've just isolated the majority of them with this move, not to mention there's plenty of ways to make a show enjoyable to both adults and kids without making it so clearly kiddy. (Want to see a continuation done right and aimed at older fans as well as others to enjoy? Go watch Toy Story 3.)

People have been wanting something for Scar's and Mufasa's backstory and we get this?? I've seen fanfiction written better than this.

[quote="Elton John"]The positivity is there because expectations by most were at rock bottom. Even for someone like me who was cautiously optimistic didn't expect the level of quality we got.[/quote]

Being thrown a rotten piece of meat is still a rotten piece of meat regardless.
Some people might be appreciative of it after so long, but many will see it as a rotten piece of meat and ask "What the hell is this?"

[quote="DGFone"]Keep in mind that for a lot of new things with The Lion Guard, they didn't exist in the movies, so the writers basically had to go in and 're-write' things to try and make the old and the new fit. This is called retconning.

For example, with Scar and his lion guard - I do also feel like the excuse they came up with is rather flimsy, but what else can they do? [/quote]

Ohhhhh I don't know... how about working with what was already established in the lore without making something so terribly unfitting and Deus Ex? Good writing would've made a story that fit without needing to make something so outrageously ridiculous and a slap to the face of the Originals.

However all we've seen so far is that preview and however unlikely it might actually be good and none of this matters, but with how Disney has become recently (Like milking a mediocre 2 year old film because "OH HOW ELSE WITH WE MAKE TEH MONEHS?!" coughfrozencough) without making anything particularly original I hold very little hope for this.

All I can hope is that it's either good, or it's bad and just fades into the night.
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » August 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm

All of a sudden I don't see any good coming from this topic. I'm bailing out. I have been using the net long enough to know that this topic is going to be toxic towards people who like what they see with all the vicious insults towards the show.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby gothprincesskiara » August 24th, 2015, 2:13 pm

[quote="Elton John"]All of a sudden I don't see any good coming from this topic. I'm bailing out. I have been using the net long enough to know that this topic is going to be toxic towards people who like what they see with all the vicious insults towards the show.[/quote]

thank you! yes please stop bring the negative down on others, if you dont like the show keep it to yourself please
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby HereWeStand » August 24th, 2015, 2:18 pm

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]thank you! yes please stop bring the negative down on others, if you dont like the show keep it to yourself please[/quote]

Uh, except that is precisely the reason I left a warning on the top of the post? :? So basically anyone with a different opinion should just hush? So much for being a discussion board lol...
HereWeStand
-

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Simbaholikov » August 24th, 2015, 2:22 pm

[quote="HereWeStand"][quote="gothprincesskiara"]thank you! yes please stop bring the negative down on others, if you dont like the show keep it to yourself please[/quote]

Uh, except that is precisely the reason I left a warning on the top of the post? :? So basically anyone with a different opinion should just hush? So much for being a discussion board lol...[/quote]

Amen.

This is a discussion board that has many different opinions from different people. No-one has to hush because they have a different opinion than yours, everyone has the right to say their piece.
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » August 24th, 2015, 2:58 pm

My opinion on TLG is very mixed. I'm more confused than anything; the trailer was okay at best. I've seen people criticising the animation but that's not my main issue, because I expected it to have a different style before pictures came out, and I knew they wouldn't put as much effort into it.

I haven't got a problem with Kion's design (apart from the tatoo), I have got a problem with his superpower; and like Simbaholic said, I've seen fanfiction which is a lot better than Scar's backstory in this. I like the idea of a Lion Guard that is specifically there to sort out problems that the King/heir can't, but giving Kion a special roar and dragging Scar into was just a bit silly really.

[quote="Simbaholic"]All I can hope is that it's either good, or it's bad and just fades into the night.[/quote]

This, essentially. My hopes aren't incredibly high, but if it has good writing it might just be okay.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby gothprincesskiara » August 24th, 2015, 3:23 pm

IN CONCLUSION! Im sure they will have a behind the scenes explanation all shows and movies do so, lets just wait for that to be revealed
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Next

Return to The Lion Guard