Just what will these awards be like anyways?

Just what will these awards be like anyways?

Postby DGFone » February 2nd, 2014, 1:45 am

When I first came up with this idea, it was mostly to allow people who don't win MotM, but are great TLK fans to have attention brought to them, but the contest itself will basically be the same. However, post the whole MotM is a popularity contest fiasco, I think that maybe that is not the hottest of ideas. It still might work, as I always knew that MotM was a popularity contest (hint: it's the only contest where you vote for a member and not some piece of work), and I assumed, and somewhat still do, that the TLK fan of the month will always also be a popularity contest, but with a different target audience that won't necessarily complain about it.

I've been thinking of how to have a different kind of contest, but so far have come up blank. So let me ask you guys:

What kind of contest would you like to see so that a TLK fan can be recognized for that, without having to be very popular or even active in other sections of the forum/outside of MLK? Feel free to post your ideas here.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Just what will these awards be like anyways?

Postby KingKivuli » February 2nd, 2014, 4:08 am

Hang on I am getting my head all twisted round here...

'allow people who don't win MotM, but are great TLK fans to have attention brought to them, but the contest itself will basically be the same. '
I think that maybe that is not the hottest of ideas.
that the TLK fan of the month will always also be a popularity contest, but with a different target audience that won't necessarily complain about it.

So.. you don't even think your own idea is going to work by that second statement. As for the other 2.. you are basically giving out a second hand award, is the best way I can describe it. Also different target audience? Er..who? This is a TLK forum last I check every member on here is a TLK fan, so just like MOTM everyone is eligible. You have created MOTM 2.0, just with another title. You even say its going to be another popularity contest....you HATE that about MOTM so..what gives?

As for complaints...er the only complaints are people raging that they didn't win. The awards themselves, I am more than open for suggestions, hence the new changes happening. Further more you have not described anywhere at all how it is to be run.. Saying it is basically the same does not count

Honestly you have not given this any solid thought. There is no set start date, no explanation how it is to be run, and is a copy of MOTM. Makes no sense
Yang - RWBY

Thanks Shadowfax!

My Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfr5wz ... 4qA/videos
KingKivuli
Master of Shadows

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My darkness is light

Nickname(s): KK, Kiv
Pride Points: 68

Postby DGFone » February 2nd, 2014, 4:39 am

Let's see how to reply to this in a way that hopefully won't turn into another flame war...

When I originally thought of this idea, I thought it would work very well. I don't know if you understand this, and taking in your statements about my idea to change MotM, I think I can safely assume that you forgot that I posed the suggestion for this topic well into two weeks before the MotM contest topic was started. For the longest time, I saw members win MotM, and generally rightfully so, but I never saw anyone who I could consider a true Lion King fan win that contest for being a great fan. Members who win are always active, popular members who spend a lot of time in outside the Kingdom sections. After all: just count how many nominations are based around how much someone is a fan of the movie. And don't count the nominations that I made.

And no, this is not MotM 2.0 under a different title. Just because you won MotM, or just got nominated, doesn't mean that you automatically have a high chance of winning this contest as well. In order to win this contest, you have to show that you are a fan with your actions. Being a member of a TLK fan forum doesn't qualify as an automatic nomination because I think we all know that there are some members who did not necessarily join the forum because of the movies.

As for me hating MotM: No, I don't necessarily hate MotM for being a popularity contest, because by its very nature it is one. Why would I have volunteered to run it if I hated it? The only thing I hate is the suggestions you propose to make to it simply because I think that trying to solve the "popularity" aspect of it is not going to be achieved by adding yet another layer of rules and regulations. In my opinion, that is a complete mistake. So if I gave off the impression that I hated the contest itself, I will admit that I am frustrated at not seeing members I think who deserve to win not even get nominated most of the time, hence this contest here, but as for MotM itself, no I don't hate it. Just the direction it's going.

As for giving TLK fan of the month thought: I absolutely gave it thought when I created it. The reason why I posed this topic is that the MotM fiasco made me think that perhaps there might be a better way to run such a contest.

And lastly, I originally wanted to start the contest in January, but I rather naively assumed that I would have the energy to create it over winter break. Que a laptop with barely functioning OS, added on top of the fact that my family, let's see how to describe it... my brother ran 100 miles at the age of 23. Just try to imagine what a vacation in a family like that will be like.

To sum it up:

I made this contest to show that you can still be celebrated for being on MLK solely because you love the movies. You don't have to be good at the other contests, nor do you have to be very popular. If you love the movies and show that simply by being active in the sections dedicated to the movies, then this contest is for you.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby KingKivuli » February 2nd, 2014, 11:59 am

Then explain the process for me and everyone

How are you picking nominations? How are you doing votes? If this is specifically for certain members in your eyes, you kinda need to let everyone know who exactly is eligible. You really are not making it clear, it still do not get what you mean when you say 'Show your a fan with your actions'. 2 cases in point, myself and Moka. Moka keeps this site running off his own back and has done alone since day one. I have been moderating for 4 years, yet.. this doesn't prove we love TLK? All I am asking for is a full in depth explanation to how it is all going to work from start to finish
Yang - RWBY

Thanks Shadowfax!

My Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfr5wz ... 4qA/videos
KingKivuli
Master of Shadows

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My darkness is light

Nickname(s): KK, Kiv
Pride Points: 68

Postby Shadowfax » February 2nd, 2014, 11:23 pm

I am also intrigued to know how these awards are going to work with regards to voting etc. Is it going to be a forum voting thing where everyone gets to cast a vote or will it be yourself and someone else choosing a winner? And will there be requirements of a member to actually BE voted? I ask, because if it's an all round vote thing like MOTM.. Surely we'll be in the same sorta boat when it comes to the 'popularity side' of it. Just sayin'. Public vote = Same members will likely be voted again.

For example.. Myself. I make Lion King related music videos.. Would that qualify me to be voted for Fan of the month? Nilla and Amy make alot of Lion King related graphics. Would they be suited? Or is it generally for everyone who posts in the Lion King sections?

Im not having a moan.. I am just generally intrigued because like KK.. Im not seeing how it's going to be any different from MOTM xD
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby FlipMode » February 3rd, 2014, 12:09 am

You are criticizing him here for something which he openly admitted to in the OP, when he was asking for advice and feedback from the community on how it could be improved. Yes as it stands, he has indeed created essentially MOTM 2.0 which is a bit pointless but...

[quote]I made this contest to show that you can still be celebrated for being on MLK solely because you love the movies. You don't have to be good at the other contests, nor do you have to be very popular. If you love the movies and show that simply by being active in the sections dedicated to the movies, then this contest is for you.[/quote]

That right there is the crucial element of his post... The point of the contest was to get people like TLP or that girl with the odd username that escapes me atm even though she has incredibly cool TLK tattoos, or that guy who made me a custom TLK theme for my old phone that time. People like that deserve recognition but they don't get nominated for MOTM because MOTM is a popularity contest. Yes everyone here is a TLK fan and has different ways of showing it but who is more likely to win MOTM? Shadowfax who is friends with most members here (not a bad thing) or someone who contributes TONS to the TLK sections but doesn't go on Skype or The Den as much because of that? Both deserve it but ultimately the person who everyone knows they like will get it.

So how to solve this?
An entire contest is not needed IMO, my feedback is this:
In MOTM every person gets one extra nomination; this nomination is their "TLK fan nomination" so you could have 2 or 3 general nominations for the awesome people of this board who no doubt deserve it in their own way, then you have a nomination specifically for outstanding TLK contributions.
This encourages me, as a person nominating people, to venture into the TLK sections, view some of the contributions that people have made (thereby also potentially boosting activity across the board and site) and then I can say "My TLK fan nomination goes to TLP because he got in contact with the producers of the films recently to ask them some of the fans most burning questions "link to the thread here").
Thus, people who would normally not be considered, are considered... Activity is boosted in those parts and the contributions more recognized and rewarded, you can't possibly fail and everyone is happy.
'Course whether or not those people would actually win is another matter but in the end they get their stuff more appreciated which is probably more important to them than a banner anyway, no?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » February 3rd, 2014, 1:27 am

I basically agree with FlipMode about this, but I think that it still needs to be separate of the standard MotM: Even with nominations in MotM dedicated solely to TLK related awesomeness, I don't think that the voting round will translate into these members actually winning MotM. They will still have to compete with the members who know everyone else and are popular due to interacting with everyone. Unlike Flip in this case, I don't think that simply being nominated is enough because that's how I generally nominated members for MotM, and I don't think that these nominations generally did anything as it felt like everyone's attention was always focused on everyone else.

As for how people get nominated, Flip again said it very well. Just a simple "I nominate X member because they are a big fan of the movies!" will not suffice. For a proper nomination, I would like to see proof of that. For instance, a "I nominate X member because of this/these posts / this work, etc." will qualify as a good nomination. Even more, it will encourage people to go to these links and see what made that member be nominated. That being said, I don't mean that every nomination should have a link, but the nominations should explain why they are being made.

And as far as banners go, I would also like to make them because when I made them for MotM, I sometimes felt like the banner that I would make, while being appreciated by the winner, might not be as appreciated as if another would have won it. It could be just me, but this feeling made me think that what I would like to do is when a member wins this contest, instead of getting a pre-made banner, they will instead be able to request a design, or even choose to be surprised.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Tsuki » February 3rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

Don't get why people are having a go at others and why people are being singled out :/. Truthfully to me this sounds just like another MOTM. No matter how you look at it it will still be a popularity contest if members are given the right to vote. One just has to post more or become more active on certain sections and hey presto people vote for them. ALL contests are more or less popularity contests but that shouldn't discourage people. Heck when I joined I thought MOTM was only given to older members who contribute a lot. But I posted and got talking to people and I was amazed that I won it. All it takes is being friendly by talking to people and taking part in sections of the forum. Of course people are going to vote for people they know and talk to. But does this discourage me? Not at all. It makes me more determined to try harder next time and to do that I need to try and be more active and talk to people (though I don't have Skype and do miss out on that).

I don't really see the point in TLK fan of the month because....well....people wouldn't be on the forum if they weren't a fan :lol:. But instead why not have a "Collecter of the month". Maybe ask people to post a picture of say their favourite Lion King plushie or their favourite Lion King merc that they own and then people could vote for which item they like the most? Or why not have a "New DVD cover design contest"? or "Create a new character" contest. Theres seriously loads you can do which could get more people involved. But sorry I don't see TLK fan of the month working any differently than MOTM.

EDIT: Hows about an AMV video contest too? :)
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby DGFone » February 4th, 2014, 8:21 am

^ The thing is, I don't want people to win this contest just because they post more often. What's more, it not only is a matter of not posting more, but also how. I don't really buy the excuse that everyone on MLK is a TLK fan, because while I know it's true, a lot of people just don't venture onto the on-topic sections any more. I know a lot of the older members love to repeat the phrase of "everything that can be said about the movie has been said". I've got news for these members:

With an attitude lick that, you might be a TLK fan, but you are not going to win this contest.

This contest really has two goals in my mind: It might even get people at least looking into the TLK sections again. My ultimate goal here is to increase on-topic activity, but we've already tried that many times in many ways, and they've basically failed all the time. Who knows, maybe this will even work?

But mostly I am having this contest because I want to. I see members who post really thoughtful and intriguing posts about the movies and other on topic things and they generally don't get the respect that I think they deserve for their effort. After all, if you're reading this, stop and think: when was the last time you posted on-topic? Even if only to reply to someone else. You don't even need to create any new topics yourself.

I made this contest for those members, and not for the popular members who win MotM anyways, and simply create "another MotM". This actually brings up a good point in my mind: If you consider this just to be a second rate MotM, then chances are, I'm afraid to say it, that you don't really venture to the on-topic sections and don't really get the point of this contest. There are members who are very eager for this contest, and guess what? They don't really post elsewhere. These are the members that I want the contest to be for. Everyone else in invited, yes, but you are not the primary target audience.

And to reply to Tsuki directly: Considering all the OC RPs going on, a "Create a new Character" contest might work. As for the others you mentioned, they basically all require drawing art of some form, which SillyDog can easily tell you, many members are not ready to do on a regular basis. Collector of the Month I can easily see turning into a battle of the wallets, with people with cash ready to spend on TLK merchandise winning easily over those who don't.

If you think that the character contest, or heck, one of the other ones you mentioned, feel free to start the contest! There is even now this nice section dedicated for TLK contests, so why not try them out? I would still like to try out mine, even if it runs not much differently than MotM, and if you think the other contests are a good idea, there's nothing stopping you from starting and running them.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby DGFone » February 8th, 2014, 2:46 am

Tomorrow will be the first official topic!

You will see what rules i have thought up for it there. Don't worry, there are not too many. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King