Art of the Lion King

Art of the Lion King

Postby simba007 » October 13th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Has anyone else gotten their hands on this book? I came across one of the limited edition and decided to buy it for $120. It's not in perfect condition but pretty close, the book is beautiful and it has a sericel duplicate which comes with it. Most of the book is full of storyboard art, production stills, and concept art, but the back of the book goes into a bit of depth about the processes behind creating the film, and has a bit of humor dashed in (comic sketches of the production team, one in particular of a storyboard designer who adamantly defended her work dressed as a hockey goalie.. lol

I still haven't finished reading it but it's a very beautiful book
simba007

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

gimme a tattoo of the hyenas

Pride Points: 0

Re: Art of the Lion King

Postby DGFone » October 15th, 2011, 4:39 am

I've seen images of it online, and while it looks awesome, I don't have the cash to buy it, used nor new. So I guess I am stuck with seeing the online versions of it.

As a note - this book is quite rare and considered a collector's item, so by the fact that you have a copy that is close to flawless makes many people here on MLK envy you.

Protect your house at night from now on.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby simba007 » October 15th, 2011, 5:36 pm

I had seen it around priced ridiculous! like $300-500.. No way i could pay that.. as it is, I could just barely afford this one.
If you ever see one pop up at a garage sale or somewhere its probably a good idea to buy it
simba007

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

gimme a tattoo of the hyenas

Pride Points: 0

Postby PrincessKiara » December 11th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I bought it not too long ago. Can`t remember what I payed for it, but it wasn`t too high a price. I couldn`t afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a single book.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby cleargreenwater » December 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm

I love my Art of the Lion King. It was $55 dollars new back in 1994 from the Disney Store, and my grandmother spoiled me rotten and bought it for me. I took off the plastic wrap & it was my absolute treasure.

Truth be told, I am glowing right now that it's considered rare and has held it's value, unlike so much other of the Lion King merchandise that has depreciated. My grandmother's indulgence is truly a treasured gift then, & not just an investment in all the inspiration & delight it's given me over the years.

She would be glowing and so am I.

Its a wonderful inspiring meditation on the art and scope of The Lion King to have.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby pitbullangel » December 14th, 2011, 9:47 pm

i see it from time to time on ebay and not always super expensive, but I got a ten month old daughter and house payments and all that so we have no spending money to buy fun things like that. maybe someday, it looks greats.
pitbullangel
4ever Lion King Fan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pit Bull Advocate

Pride Points: 4

Postby Noah » December 14th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I loved hearing that story about your grandmother Cleargreenwater. My grandmother is getting me my copy too. Last month I came across a copy for only $20 on eBay, which excitedly me greatly because the book is normally highly priced on eBay. The cheapest copy I ever saw before that was $70. I used her eBay account to "buy it now" and had it shipped to her house to use as my Christmas present. She had been hounding me about what I wanted for months. XD

A Word of Caution
There are two different versions of the Art of the Lion King book floating around. One is the coffee table sized version which measure 10.3 inches by 13.3 inches. The other one is the Disney Miniature Series edition whose dimensions are 4.8 inches by 5.8 inches. I cut out two pieces of paper the exact sizes of the books for my own personal comparison and was shocked by the difference. I took some photos of them, which I posted below. The first simulates both of the books being closed. The second shows what they would look like if they were both opened.

Be sure to always check the size of the book before you purchase it online. ;)
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby pitbullangel » December 14th, 2011, 11:16 pm

yeah, I noticed there was two versions and that's a big difference. I wouldn't mind buying the small version cheap enough and all, but I would still get the larger one whether I got the small one or not.
pitbullangel
4ever Lion King Fan

Pit Bull Advocate

Pride Points: 4

Postby cleargreenwater » December 15th, 2011, 3:07 am

[quote="Noahcs"]I loved hearing that story about your grandmother Cleargreenwater. My grandmother is getting me my copy too. Last month I came across a copy for only $20 on eBay, which excitedly me greatly because the book is normally highly priced on eBay. The cheapest copy I ever saw before that was $70. I used her eBay account to "buy it now" and had it shipped to her house to use as my Christmas present. She had been hounding me about what I wanted for months. XD

[/quote]

LOL, Noah. Okay, NOW she's just rolling in her grave that you got it so much cheaper! :epicshenziface: LOL. (j/k, tongue in cheek, etc.)

It's a wonderful volume. I don't know if it's just that I'm a booknerd or what, but you can look at all the concept art in the world online & it doesn't come close to being as rewarding as holding it in your hands and leafing through pages, seeing so much of it in such a big beautiful book is like a meditation/TLK experience all on it's own.

And wow, that is total warm-fuzzies to think of someone else and their grandmother opening the plastic wrap on their own copy some 16 years later.

Real Life "Circle of Life" moment, FTW! :hug:
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby WindAnnWise » December 17th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Ooh, that book would go great with my Lion King/big cat collection!
I am also a big fan of: Phantom of the Opera, High School Musical, Harry Potter, Disney in general, Days of Our Lives, musicals in general, Dr. Seuss in general and the Grinch.

"Sometimes, it's better not to say anything."- Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson
WindAnnWise
The Quiet One

Is anybody out there?

Nickname(s): Windy, Wind Ann
Pride Points: 5

Next

Return to Marketplace