Hyena March.

Hyena March.

Postby Meskhenet » December 30th, 2012, 9:43 pm

I was watching the hyena march during the "Be Prepared" and I couldn't help but notice that the hyena's marching style of marching is similar towards the Nazi's pose. In the marching scene one of the front paws would be in the air in the way the Nazi's would pick up their legs high during their marching. And it seems to me that when their paws would be in the air t seems that they're saying "Hail Scar" that same way the Nazi's would say "Hail Hitler".
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4573565479617577&pid=15.1&H=100&W=160
[urlhttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4711043058304984&pid=15.1&H=117&W=160][/url]
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Re: Hyena March.

Postby SlayerOfLight » December 30th, 2012, 10:30 pm

This has nothing to do with Nazi-ism. The animators just made them march like that to give the viewer the impression they are some sort of army, nothing more or less.

What is the point of this topic?
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Regulus » December 30th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. There's also the part when Scar rises up on that platform, which reminds me a lot of Hitler's speeches.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Woeler » December 30th, 2012, 11:16 pm

This scene is based on Nazi-Germany and Scar is indeed shown as Adolf Hitler.

-The sound footsteps of the hyenas make sound like a marching army. The German Nazi army was famous for it's marching sounds because their boots were specially made to make a loud stepping noise during a march.

-The scene is modeled after the movie ''Triumph of the will'', which is a Nazi propaganda movie. After the death of Mufasa, Scar takes over the Pride Lands. As the veld becomes a police state, all the color is bled out of the film's palette, and the camera angles become severe and exaggerated. As a group of goose-stepping hyenas march by in "Be Prepared" -- easily the most dissonant musical number the studio has ever staged -- the iconography appears to come straight out of "Triumph of the Will."

-The pillars in the scene symbolically stand for the pillars of the Reichstag. Hitler's parliament worked in the Reichstag.

The scene is actually mocking the Germans. Scar is shown as smart and powerful, like Adolf Hitler. The hyena's represent the German people. Dumbly following a leader who will lead them to destruction.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby DGFone » December 31st, 2012, 12:36 am

This scene was very intentionally made to look like Hitler and the Nazis.

As others have mentioned, the goose-stepping hyenas are made to look like The Triumph of Will, Hitler's propaganda 'check out how great Nazi Germany is' movie. At the same time some of what Scar said is also taken from that era. "Stick with me, and you'll NEVER GO HUNGRY AGAIN!" - Taken straight out of Hitler's mouth. So not only are the hyenas parading like the Nazis, Scar is directly quoting the dictator.

And Woeler, I think that the pillars are not supposed to represent the Reichstag. This building is famous for housing the short lasting German Republic, and for getting captured by the Red Army at the end of the war. I think that instead of the Reichstag, the pillars of light are a much less symbolic metaphor to the Nazis:

The Cathedral of light. Unlike the Reichstag, the Cathedral of light was also created as the Nazis grew in power, to show off how strong they are. This is exactly what Scar wants to show, and seeing as the pillars next to scar were made of light, I see no reason to think to the contrary that the pillars are made to look like the Cathedral of Light, and not the Reichstag.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Woeler » December 31st, 2012, 12:48 am

^ no, were both right. We're jus talking about different things. The light beams do indeed represent the cathedral of light. I was talking about the pillars Scar stands on.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby DGFone » December 31st, 2012, 1:15 am

Oh, the pillars that Scar stands on, yeah, they can indeed represent the Reichstag.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Meskhenet » December 31st, 2012, 5:09 am

[quote="Nicholas"]This has nothing to do with Nazi-ism. The animators just made them march like that to give the viewer the impression they are some sort of army, nothing more or less.

What is the point of this topic?[/quote]
The point of this topic is to compare the way the hyena's style of marching is to those of the Nazi army. If you look closely enough the Nazi "tone" can clearly be seen throughout the "Be Prepared" scene.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby PrincessKiara » January 2nd, 2013, 10:12 pm

As interesting as this is, I don`t want to be thinking of WWII when watching my all-time favourite movie.. :(
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby DGFone » January 3rd, 2013, 2:52 am

[quote="PrincessKiara"]As interesting as this is, I don`t want to be thinking of WWII when watching my all-time favourite movie.. :([/quote]

Look up "Be Prepared German" on YouTube. Select appropriate video. Read comments...

Childhood ruined. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Next

Return to The Movies