Betrothed = Flirting

Re: Betrothed = Flirting

Postby Jiirani » January 20th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Unbelieveable o.e I guess they had to put something, though... If the word betrothed isn't actually part of the language, it would be difficult to replace it. it's better Zazu saying something, rather than nothing at all... But my, that is a shame. Surely there could have been a better word out there o.e

tumblr | TLK blog | art by shyre
Jiirani
Hopeless Wanderer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Restoring light to the lighthouse

Nickname(s): Eli, Jii, Lion
Pride Points: 62

Postby TheDoctor » January 20th, 2011, 9:05 pm

[quote="atouchofgrace"]This dub is famous for changing random things.

My personal favorite:

Original:
Scar - Mufasa! No! You're dead!

European Portuguese:
Sarabi - Mufasa! You're dead!

^^ And we see Scar's mouth moving... :oops:[/quote]
What!? :lol: Sarabi is even lying in the foreground! How on earth did they get away with that one xD
TheDoctor
Time Lord

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Brooding brooding brooding brooding

Postby atouchofgrace » January 20th, 2011, 9:08 pm

[quote="Jiirani"]Unbelieveable o.e I guess they had to put something, though... If the word betrothed isn't actually part of the language, it would be difficult to replace it. it's better Zazu saying something, rather than nothing at all... But my, that is a shame. Surely there could have been a better word out there o.e[/quote]
We don't really have a proper word for "arranged marriage", the closest one would be "destined" but that can take different and much more common meanings.
ImageImageImageImageImage
atouchofgrace

Nickname(s): Cat
Pride Points: 2

Postby SummerSnowLeopard » February 5th, 2011, 5:56 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]I am confused, that scene was not a bit like that when I watched the film??????[/quote]
I'm with Flip. What are you talking about :/
SummerSnowLeopard

Nickname(s): Summer
Pride Points: 38

Postby Meskhenet » September 21st, 2013, 2:54 am

The dialogue posted is the English translation of the European Portuguese version of The Lion King. Instead of saying the word "betrothed" they said "flirting" because there is not an available translation of the word betrothed in European Portuguese. If you actually think about it, The Lion King (or any other movie for that matter) does not have the exact same translation from a foreign language dub for example Spanish, French or Dutch or in this case European Portuguese to English for that reason. It's what keeps films fresh when heard from a different language.

I like the translation though. It's cute, original and sweet, but it seems to me that it doesn't fit in with the movie. Of course, I'm so used to having the word "betrothed" in the sentences rather than "flirting".
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Previous

Return to The Movies