Why didn't we get a say?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Why didn't we get a say?

Postby KopsTheTerminator » May 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm

WS: That's actually a really nice suggestion and I've seen it happen in other boards with no problems, maybe that can be an alternative?

And to Annie: That's not what we were saying o.O Sorry if we made you feel that way... I believe you're doing a marvelous job so far. We just prefer a system that would involve the member's opinions more in the future.
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Moka » May 12th, 2011, 12:36 am

We used to have applications. We obviously don't anymore, but I can't remember why we stopped. It's worth a try, don't you think?
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby WildSimba » May 12th, 2011, 12:40 am

I think it's worth it, there's no harm that can really come from it. Without applications it kind of becomes more of a popularity thing even on the staffs part. If you choose to do the whole application things, it's a lot less of a blind guess, and your not just picking the most popular member for the job, but the most qualified, if you actually enforce that your staff need to actually READ the whole application.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Moka » May 12th, 2011, 12:42 am

I think we'll be able to manage getting through reading an application. *Digs through the archives to find the old application template*
Moka

Postby Annie » May 12th, 2011, 12:49 am

Yea! I think that sounds like a really good idea :)
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby Moka » May 12th, 2011, 12:59 am

Okay, here is the old application template. Anyone have any ideas that they'd like to share to improve it? ^^

[quote]Username:
Email Address:
Reason for application (something more than "I want to be a mod" or "I want to help"):

Previous experiences (were you a moderator or administrator at any other forums?):

Position of Interest (Global Moderator or RP Moderator) and why: (omitted... no longer relevant).

Please answer the following questions.

- What do you like about the My Lion King community, and what would you be able to improve as staff?

- How often do you visit My Lion King forums?

- What are some of your strengths that other applicants may not share?

- What are some of your weaknesses?[/quote]
Moka

Postby WildSimba » May 12th, 2011, 1:01 am

I only said that you should enforce they need to read the whole application, because I've seen quite a few other forums where mods just read part of the app, and then they don't end up picking the right choice. They'd automatically assume the biggest one = the best option, but I've seen amazing applications that are less then a few paragraphs.

Ask specifically as a sub-section if they've had any work specfically with phpBB. Considering this type of board is slightly different then others to handle. Other then that, shouldn't the weaknesses and better qualitys then other applicants be kept out, since their a little to opinionated, and might lead to a wrong decision?
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Songo » May 12th, 2011, 1:29 am

Nice MOD Apps. That would work. ^_^ I'd totally Apply to be a MOD.

Songo
Shes dangerous. ;3

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Such a pretty Kitty. <3

Nickname(s): Call me Lyss. :D
Pride Points: 16

Postby Panda-chan » May 12th, 2011, 3:02 am

Ooh okay, this could work too :D TLKPF uses mod apps too and it works great there. I don't think anything needs to be changed on the template, unless the staff thinks otherwise.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby KiarasMate » May 13th, 2011, 6:39 am

It might also be beneficial to specify a few stipulations and/or criteria a member should strive for, or must meet before he or she can submit an application for a mod position and even be considered in the running for a position in the first place, such as a certain amount of time they have been an active member for, or limiting mod positions to those members who haven't recieved any official board warnings on the forum, or if that's too strict, then something like, has recieved no more than one official board warning in the past. That sounds harsh, but given the power that is granted with Modship, it seems a reasonable way to weed out the potential power hungry members who only want to become mod for their own personal gain. Combined with the membership length requirement, this should at least give the members a rough outline of what the Staff is looking for in a potential moderator, even though I know from experience that these factors are taken into consideration by the staff, but since it seems the members want to be more informed about the decision making process of the staff here, this may help to shed some light on what is needed in order to be considered a candidate for a mod position in the future.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To