Why didn't we get a say?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Why didn't we get a say?

Postby Panda-chan » May 11th, 2011, 12:58 am

I am a little confused and annoyed about how Annie got chosen as the new MLK mod. Didn't we agree that new staff members would be voted on by the members? Anyone remember the Staff Elections?
Don't get me wrong, I am happy for Annie and don't doubt she was a good choice for the position, but I would have felt better if we had had more of a say in this as we'd agreed.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Re: Why didn't we get a say?

Postby SummerSnowLeopard » May 11th, 2011, 1:10 am

Eh, I really don't mind as long as the Mods make a wise choice. Annie was obviously the best choice :] Plus, I think it was urgent. MLK doesn't have the time to wait for voting results when the Mod count is low. I don't think we needed a say in the choices of Mods.
SummerSnowLeopard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Summer
Pride Points: 38

Postby WildSimba » May 11th, 2011, 1:14 am

Though it's nice to have a say, it really does is end up becoming a little to opinionated. The staff just need to be able to do their half of picking exactly who is right. I think Annie was a good choice for mod, and it wasn't really needed as for us to vote.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Panda-chan » May 11th, 2011, 1:19 am

Well that's your opinion, but the thing is we agreed on this. As in, it's a new rule. So I don't get why it wasn't followed. I agree that I'm fine with Annie being chosen, but the fact remains that this is a rule the mods broke.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby WildSimba » May 11th, 2011, 1:21 am

It's a rule? I thought we were trying it out to see if it would work.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby FlipMode » May 11th, 2011, 7:15 am

Well personally I thought we were going to be doing that again, but we just kind of ended up choosing someone instead. Like WildSimba already said we agreed to try it, and the result was that it ended up becoming a popularity contest of some degree. By that I mean that when it came down to the voting, I pretty much expected to be nominated at least once, but by the end of it I had the staff messaging me telling me I was in the top three and I was like "Oh wow that is pretty cool" because I personally did not expect the result that we got. But people were saying how apparently obvious the result was, and if that is the case then it pretty much proves that there was some degree of favouritism going on. Thus, it was not the best way of choosing a new moderator. Even now I am still not entirely sure that I should be on the staff at all.

The simple logic is that, there were never any problems with choosing moderators before right, and the first time we got to vote for who we wanted is when it started to get blown out of proportion, we go back to choosing a moderator, and this time there were no problems in regards to silly internet dramatics. so it seems pretty clear to me that this is the best method of doing it.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » May 11th, 2011, 7:42 am

I actually think that the situation required action, and not an election. I was still lurking when the election were held, (I remember a time when you, Flip, was still a regular ol' member) bit it doesn't mean that the time and effort required to hold the elections did not escape me. I see the elections as a luxury: MLK could use another mod, so let the members pick it.

I see this situation as different. I recall at least 2 moderators having to drop their responsibilities due to real life issues (school finals?) With Ivan and AC having lost their Banhammers (no insult intended, I just like the word), there was a large vacant hole that needed to be filled as quickly as possible. See it as this way: before Ivan and AC dropped out, there were 5 mods. Without them, there were 3 left. So MLK lost 40% of its employees, while the regular user amount didn't change. Maybe the next mod position can hold an election (or maybe the one after that), but right now, I see it as someone needed to fill in the large hole. Elections take time, which is why they are planned in advance. We didn't have this luxury now.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Annie » May 11th, 2011, 10:35 am

I don't really know how I was chosen, I assumed they were desperate, since it was all pretty sudden.
I don't really think a vote would have been constructive, because if they were desperate, how long would it have taken? I remember it being a looong time last time. I didn't expect to be a Mod and I certainly didn't ask! It was Mods choice and I guess they thought I was the right option (I'll let you decide that f'sure)
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby TheIvanMuse » May 11th, 2011, 10:43 am

We didn't agree on making the staff elections a rule, nor is it a rule. That was only a try out and it ended up being,as we already said, a popularity contest,so it was scratched in the case of a further search for a new mod. With the mods choosing who the new mods will be,there is much more of a direct approach on whether the person is qualified for the job or not. And it goes much simpler and faster.

Signature made by Taka
TheIvanMuse
Ninja Blader Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Never stop improving and you'll be forever young!

Nickname(s): Ivan , T.I.Van
Pride Points: 26

Postby KopsTheTerminator » May 11th, 2011, 6:08 pm

If it ended as a popularity contest, then we should make strict staff election rules and possibly only allow people above a certain age to vote to avoid that in the future.
KopsTheTerminator

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To