Star wars the force awakens.

Re: Star wars the force awakens.

Postby Regulus » December 18th, 2015, 10:22 pm

I saw it last night. Real spoilers below. This is your only warning.

Spoiler: show
No, Luke doesn't die. Luke only shows up at the end of the film, when Rey finds him and (presumably) begins her training as a Jedi knight. But let's start with the beginning.

Some bearded old wizard-looking dude has a map that leads to Luke Skywalker. The big bad guys and their fancy spaceships want that map, so they attack the planet Jakku, where the map is. A pilot for the Resistance (the new Rebel Alliance) takes the map in a droid and runs off when their village is attacked. It's only the opening scene, but I can tell already that this movie is a hundred times better than the prequels. It's actually not convoluted and boring!

The Resistance pilot is captured, and a defecting stormtrooper breaks him free. They escape in a TIE fighter, but get shot down by a missile and fall to Jakku. Crash landing there, the good-guy stormtrooper finds himself alone without the pilot. This is where we really start to meet our main characters, and I can already tell you the stormtrooper guy is pretty likable. He's an interesting one, with no memories other than being a stormtrooper. But it's his unwillingness to kill innocents and obey orders that makes him very relatable.

So yeah, since this movie features likable characters that I can actually care about, at this point, it's about a thousand times better than the prequels. The characters in the prequels are really just acters, because it's hard to char about them. But for the first time since 1983, we have full-fledged characters in a Star Wars movie again. And that's a good thing.

The stormtrooper (previously without a name, but now called Finn) meets Rey back on the junkyard planet of Jakku, and Rey has the droid with the map to Luke. This is where the movie becomes infinitely better than the prequels--both Finn and Rey are interesting, likable characters, and their interactions feel natural and unscripted. The droid is incredibly cute in its own way, with qualities subjectively even more likable than R2-D2.

The bad guys know the droid has the map on Jakku, so they attack the planet a second time. Finn and Rey are forced to work together to escape with the droid, and their ship of choice is nothing other than the hunk of junk they don't yet know is the Millennium Falcon. This is one of my favorite moments in the film. The applause when that ship first appeared on the screen was just amazing. It gave me the chills.

After they escape with some physically impossible but impressive looking dogfighting maneuvers, they're in space and free to go wherever their hyperdrive can take them. However, Han and Chewie are flying some type of freighter, and they find the Millennium Falcon in orbit of Jakku. They steal their ship back, and meet Finn, Rey, and the droid. At this moment, there is of course more applause in the audience. It was so satisfying to see Han and Chewie back in their ship, I really can't explain it here. All I can say now is that this movie is two infinities better than the prequels.

After some interesting talks between our new characters and our beloved old ones, they go to another planet. Naturally, the bad guys are following behind, still in search of that map. When they get to the next planet, Rey finds Luke's lightsaber, but isn't convinced enough to become a Jedi yet. We also learn the big bad guy, Kylo Ren, is Han and Leia's son. Kylo Ren's defection to the dark side is the reason why Luke went into exile, and the reason Han Solo and Leia have fallen on hard times.

At this point, I realize this movie is darker than I expected for a Star Wars movie. Aside from Revenge of the Sith, it's the only one with a PG-13 rating, and it becomes clear why. The whole movie has a sort of bleak but hopeful outlook, where our heroes are either too young and inexperienced or too old and beyond their prime--while the baddies are back and strong as ever. Much of the galaxy seems to live in a state not entirely unlike the great depression before World War II; times are tough and things are not going too well for pretty much anyone.

However, soon after we find out Kylo Ren is Han's son, the focal point becomes another battle. The Resistance forces with their badass X-wings eventually rescue Han, Chewie, and the new characters from the bad guy attack, but this time Rey is captured. At this point, we find there's also a new Death Star superweapon thingy. It's a little too similar, but the way the characters acknowledge this makes those similarities less important. Han's comments about finding a way to blow it up and Admiral Akbar's weird fish eyes had me laughing for a few minutes.

So, with the good-guy stormtrooper's help, the Resistance plans an attack on the new superweapon. He's basically one of them now, and it's nice to see how he wants to go back to help Rey. So, you know how these things play out. There's another battle, and all the main characters sneak in and meet up at a critical point on the superweapon. Laughably, after they take down the shields from the inside, one of the bad guys is sent to a trash compactor. It was Han's suggestion.

Unfortunately, Han Solo dies in one of the last scenes. He's killed when he confronts his son, Kylo Ren. Finn and Rey watch Han's death and meet Kylo again after that, and the two heroes use Luke's old blue lightsaber against him. Finn is injured but still alive, while Rey appears to be able to hold her own against him. We don't know who her parents are, so she may be the daughter of Luke or Han/Leia.

Rey strikes down (but does not kill) Kylo, and Chewie helps them escape in the Millennium Falcon. The superweapon blows up, and they go back to the Resistance base. We find that R2-D2 has the missing piece of the map to Luke, and together with the cuter droid, they show the Resistance where Luke is. In the final scene, Rey leaves in the Millennium Falcon, and climbs up to the top of a mountain where she meets a Luke, who now looks a little similar to Ben Kenobi in A New Hope.

Rey gives Luke his lightsaber, and that's when the movie ends. I've never heard so much applause in a movie as I did at that moment. And quite honestly, that final scene almost brought a tear to my eye.

Welcome to the Jedi Order, Rey.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Tsuki » December 19th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Just seen it. My verdict:

Ok firstly Luke doesn't die folks. But OMG this film! Can't fault it at all. Love BB8!!

The thing that bugged me before was Finn being a Stormtrooper...when the Stormtroopers were all suppose to be clones of Boba Fett. But this is explained in the film so I hold my hands up and say "Ok that's cool with me".

It's so nice to see some of the older cast. Solo <333. I had a feeling something was going to happen to one of the characters...But when Solo stepped out to confront his son...my heart sank as I could tell what was going to happen. I almost shouted abuse out loud at the screen and a tear ran down my cheek. Of all the characters they picked my fave :cry:

Got a feeling there's a link between Rey and Luke ;). Just a hunch. Hehe. But yes very pleased with this film.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Elton John » December 19th, 2015, 11:55 pm

I read somewhere that finn is
lando calrissians son
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby FlipMode » December 20th, 2015, 12:56 am

FTR : I agree with what everyone is saying. This film is basically a greatest hits conpilation of the Star Wars movies. It was a safe move and I'm happy about that but i am also curious to see what they come up with next.
I think they knew that people just wanted a good Star Wars movie and they delivered that, now I think we can sit back and let them experiment a bit more with the next one.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Elton John » December 20th, 2015, 12:57 am

It was safe but at the same time very well made.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TheLionPrince » December 20th, 2015, 2:35 am

This review is a work-in-progress, though you can read if you want.

First off, I am a little disappointed that the film did not follow up on what Return of the Jedi promised us: the demise in power of the Empire and the resurrection of democracy through the new Galactic Republic in a galaxy far far away.

To begin with, the storyline is relatively simple: Luke Skywalker is in hiding. Bring the droid BB-8 across the span of the galaxy to the location of the Resistance base. Avoid the First Order that has become the successor of the Empire with a new planet-destroying space station called the Starkiller Base.

As I have read in the reviews without getting spoiled, the storyline is derivative of A New Hope with a homage of The Empire Strikes Back, but it's how Finn and Rey get there which makes it more interesting. The action sequences were incredibly heart-poundingly thrilling and involving with Rey and Finn battling TIE fighters and the battle of Jakuu as my favorites. The production design and special effects were breathtakingly larger-than-life. It was refreshing for J.J. Abrams and his team to return to filming on Panavision film stock and utilize miniatures, real locations, and production sets that returns to the nostalgic look of the original trilogy while still using digital special effects to enhance the storytelling. And what can't be said of John Williams's score for The Force Awakens. I appreciated the musical cues of "The Imperial Base (Darth Vader's Theme)" and "Binary Sunset" at the end.

The ending where Luke Skywalker is found was a cameo that was worth the build-up and anticipation, and so much was said without dialogue.

Star Wars continues to create allusions with Roman politics. The Roman Republic is the Galactic Republic that transitions into an oppressive empire following a large-scale civil war, represented as the Clone Wars in the prequel trilogy. Here, the villain Kylo Ren reminded me of Emperor Commodus from the epic films The Fall of the Roman Empire (1965) and Gladiator (2000). Spoiled, throws vicious tantrums, a lust for power, and not hesitant to resort to patricide. However, Commodus was more well-developed than Ren.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Captain Cupcake » December 20th, 2015, 8:39 am

[quote="Tsuki"]The thing that bugged me before was Finn being a Stormtrooper...when the Stormtroopers were all suppose to be clones of Boba Fett. But this is explained in the film so I hold my hands up and say "Ok that's cool with me". [/quote]

The film doesn't even need to explain it. It's been long-established that the Imperial Army of the original trilogy was comprised of mostly enlistees. The clone troopers were specifically produced for the war that took place during the prequels and were stated to have accelerated aging, so most of them were past their prime by the time the classic films took place and are now too old or dead in this current era for Episode VII. Also, they were cloned from Jango Fett, not Boba Fett.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Tsuki » December 20th, 2015, 11:19 am

^ Ok then. :)
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Previous

Return to The Den