MLK Writing Contest #1 Voting!

Which entries are you favorite? Pick two.

Entry #1
11%
Entry #2
11%
Entry #3
5%
Entry #4
11%
Entry #5
11%
Entry #6
26%
Entry #7
No votes
Entry #8
5%
Entry #9
21%

Total votes : 19

MLK Writing Contest #1 Voting!

Postby Azdgari » July 20th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Welcome to MLK's first writing contest! Thanks a lot to everyone who participated; this turned out to be a lot more successful than I'd hoped! There are nine entries. The voting will last for one week. This means you have plenty of time to read all these stories and pick your favorite. There are a lot of entries and a lot of reading to do, so don't feel intimidated. Take your time!

Entry #1: A Path To Self Destruction
[quote]The sun still hung over the evening sky, illuminating a distant area of it while the stars began to scatter around. Just enough time before dark for Zira, the plotting outsider lioness, and Kovu who had grown from his early days, by this point he was something of an apprentice to Zira, who had taught him many skills in hunting, fighting, and planning out an attack for best proficiency. Kovu’s brown fur had become slightly thicker, and he had much more of a figure on him as he was entering his teen lion years. And his voice had been starting to get noticeably deeper.

“Okay Kovu,” said Zira in her usual evil intent sounding voice. “We have just enough time to get a bit of practise in, you will need to utilise what you have been taught so far.” She continued to explain to the younger lion.

“I am in!”Kovu said, raising his tone and then smiling at her. Kovu loved hunting, and he was skilled at it, he would always take a chance to partake in any and all training opportunities. Although hunting was usually carried out by the lionesses in a pride, he seemed to have a natural talent for it. And Zira had taught him a lot of skills across previous training.

“Good, Kovu!” Zira was happy to see Kovu so willing to jump into situations. “Now then, let’s see here...” And she began scoping out the grasslands for a potential target for Kovu, who extend and retracted his claws, watching them slide in and out of the slits of his paws. Suddenly there was distant chatter audible. Zira turned her head to the left, and watched a group of three zebras make their way to the small pond which reflected the orange evening sky. “Down.” She said upon spotting them, and she and Kovu lowered their self to the ground. “There.” She said quietly to Kovu and looked in the direction of the pond.

“I see them.” Kovu said calmly and quietly, trying to control the volume of his voice.

“Bring one of them back, and you may eat well tonight.” Zira instructed Kovu. “And remember, patience. Wait until one of them is alone.” Zira knew that realistically, Kovu could only capture one of them, and it was more than enough to feed at least four of the lions back home anyway.

“I got it.” Kovu said to his mentor, and he crept slowly forward. Zira smiled as she watched Kovu head forwards to the far said of the pond. He kept his body close to the ground, and as he stepped forward slowly, the grass bended as he crushed the panes of it with his steps. He realised something and thought to himself “I can feel the ground shifting below under my paws, with each step I take it shifts, this must be what alerts them to my presence.”

He continued until he arrived at a patch of long grass, it was located behind the zebras who were sitting around taking sips of the water and enjoying the peaceful ambience, glancing up at the sky and then back down to the water. Kovu entered the patch of grass, taking care as he moved toward his targets so he would not be noticed, he carefully moved and scattered the panes of grass with his paw so they were not bending too much. He laid in wait and watched his victims.

He thought to himself, for a moment. As he watched the zebras, there was a male adult on the left, and on the right sat a female. Between the two of them, a zebra which seemed to be in his early teen years judging from his height, which was smaller than the two accompanying him. One thing Kovu had not thought about before is the concept of breaking up a family with each animal slain. Especially since he was in a family himself, Zira was his mother and his brother and sister who were back at home waiting for his return. “Woah. This is insane...” He thought to himself in his head as he stalked the animals.

He continued watching the zebras “Now son, mother and I are going to find you some food, you wait here and have a nice drink.” The adult male said to the younger one.

“Cool! Now I can prove to you that I can be trusted on my own!” The young male zebra replied to his father. He was excited; it seemed he wanted to show his parents that he was responsible. It reminded Kovu of his younger cub days.

“Ah, those were the days, messing around somewhere alone without permission, no rules, no responsibilities...” Kovu was thinking to himself while watching his prey. “And her!” And an image of Kiara once again returned to his mind, she was after all, the only friend he really had. He shook his head slightly, as if to try and shake the memory away from his thoughts.

“Come, dear.” And the male zebra walked off, Kovu listened to the steps grow louder as the zebra walked past, oblivious to the possibility that anything was hiding in the taller areas of grass. The female followed behind, just as Kovu was anticipating. He listened to their chatter and steps grow softer and quieter, but he could not make out what they were saying from where he was.

Kovu looked forward at the remaining young zebra, and glanced over at Zira in the distance who was watching the events unfold. “Now, do it!” she said under her breathe, to herself but as if speaking directly to her son.

The young zebra looked down at the water and lapped it up with his tongue. Kovu listened as the Zebra’s tongue splashed against the water. And he leapt forward from the grass, straight towards his prey. The only sound audible, was the slight rustle of the grass, and a quick whooshing sound as Kovu glided through the air ferociously.

Time seemed to go slow for Kovu for the next few moments, he extended his claws mid flight, and heard the sloshing sound again from the Zebra who was drinking water. The sloshing sound stopped suddenly, and some birds nearby flew away in horror.

With this a past event came flooding back into Kovu’s memory of his fatherly figure, Scar. Scar had not been Kovu’s biological father as Kovu was in his infant years but it was the closest thing to a real father that Kovu had, since his real father abandoned him pre birth. “Now son, you wait right here and daddy will be right back with food.” Scar said lovingly to a baby Kovu, Scar had never cared about anybody before, but he seemed to really have a deep connection with Kovu.

“You must learn to fend for yourself, because one day, you WILL be the king!” Scar said enthusiastically and with glee, as he stared at the new born Kovu. “Zira, watch him. I will be back” And Scar walked away from Kovu, this was the last time Kovu would see his loving adopter.

“Gah..” Kovu regained his composure, no longer in the dream land he was in; he looked down at the zebra. It lay completely motionless; Kovu had hit his prey critically, right across the neck.
He looked around, ensuring there were no witnesses to what he had done. Not spotting anything unusual, he quickly scooped up the dead zebra with his head, lifting it onto his back. And he made his way back to Zira.

The orange sun lit evening sky, had darkened almost completely now. The stars and the half moon illuminated the area majestically, and they looked beautiful, the pond water had majestically reflected the night sky. Kovu sat on top of the hill he and Zira had began the hunt on, and looked down at the water in the distance. They watched as the two zebras returned, they were not toally visible, especially in the time of night, but they were clearly in panic, cries of help could be heard echoing around the area.

“Come, we need to be out of here.” Zira said sharply to Kovu, and took the zebra from her son’s back, opting to carry it for the rest of the way home, which was not far from here.
As they walked back, Zira looked at Kovu, who seemed to be silent; he was usually loud after a mission and full of adrenaline. “What happened?” She asked him.

“They were a family.” Kovu said in a melancholy response.

“Listen to me Kovu, you can’t let that stop you from achieving our ultimate goal.” She tried to reassure him, as if what he had done was somehow right “This was his destiny, and you know yours...” she pause for a second “Don’t you?!” She continued.

Kovu thought for a second, Zira was right, in his mind. He cannot let these things get to him, not if he wants to take down Simba and become king. “I do.” He answered back to his mother, somewhat argumentatively. “I will kill Simba, and I WILL become king!” his voice echoed that of Scar’s.

“Good!” Zira said, in an evil and cunning tone of voice that she always used. And the two of them, mother and son, continued the walk back to their home.
[/quote]

Entry #2: (untitled)
[quote] It's been about a month since I met Kiara she was so beautiful and kind. I just wish I could see her again. Mother's training is getting harder, she wasn't kidding when she said, "Tomorrow your training intensify's." I went to sleep one night unable to even move without pain. Simba can't be that strong! I need something that mother won't give me, I need love but I guess she rather not give it, no kidding Nuka is a mess. Hopefully my mane doesn't end up like his. It seems like Vitani's training is going well too. She can really pin me any day. The other day I was training and I think I pulled a muscle, mother just made me keep going, I'm so tired of it I'm still aching. Mother keeps making me model my self after Scar, I understand the loyalty since Simba killed him but why me! I'm not even his son Nuka is. I keep thinking who is my father, I'm too scared to ask because I know mother would just get angry. She always does. Sometimes I just want to run away be a rogue so I don't have to do all this training. It's so difficult but she keeps reminding me Scar took me in Scar chose me.[/quote]

Entry #3: Brutal Years
[quote]Kovu awoke to someone harshly yelling at him. “Get up, you lazy cub! Now!” Kovu opened his eyes to see his mother Zira starring down at him. “When I say now, I mean NOW!” she roared, pushing him to his paws. He stumbled, then stood and shook away the sleepiness.

“Mother, why do you have to wake me up so early? We were training all night.” He wined, rubbing his eye with the back of one of his paws.

“Have you forgotten that you have to avenge Scar? Have you forgotten your duty to your Pride? Have you forgotten that every lion and lioness in the Pride Lands is our enemy and will kill you without hesitation? Well?!” She roared at him. He backed up a small step.

“No mother... I haven't forgotten. But... they're not all bad... That Kiara girl...” Zira laughed at his words, making him jump.

“We'll break that kind of thinking in time, my son.” She said to him with that smile he hated. That evil smile tht scared him. “Now come on son, lets start with your training. You must be prepared.” She said as she left the termite cave. Kovu followed her in a very sleepy manner.

Training was brutal. Early in the morning, he'd run for three hours. If he stopped or stumbled, he would get beaten. Being a cub, he would often stumble or just give up all together. This resulted in numerous beatings until he got back up and kept going. Vitani and Nuka watched on, feeling sorry for their little brother, but knowing that it had to be done. The day continued with multiple strength training sessions. He'd push or pull large rocks with dead tree roots, and had to climb the large termite mounds from the outside. The outside was steep until you got to the top, so claws were essential. Eventually, his claws became sharper than normal. As he grew older, the training grew harder. He had to swim to one side of the river and back without getting eaten by the crocodiles. He had to sneak into the pride lands and catch an antelope and bring it back to the Outlands without Simba or his Pride knowing about it. He became very good at stalking and keeping quiet. More than once a Pride member had come near his hunting spot, but he escaped before they realized who the strange scent belonged to.

The training did come with benefits, however. He always got the most to eat, and the cleanest water to drink. He received one of the warmer places in the termite den, and eventually, he was able to ask for almost anything and would almost immediately receive it.

After years of bitter work and scoldings from his mother, he was ready for his final test. He would have to go all the way through the heart of the Pride Lands without being spotted. As his mother told him of the final test, he starred at her with an open mouth. “You want me to do WHAT?!?!?!” He roared.

“You know exactly what I want you to do!” she yelled back. “If you complete this your training will be completed, and you can finally take your rightful place as king.” Kovu groaned, but didn't argue. He knew better than to argue with his mother. Instead, he simply left. He took a deep breath, then stepped into the Pride Lands. Hard, parched dirt turned to soft, moist dirt with green grass and tree's. He quietly made his way through the grass-filled land. At one point, he ran into the hunting party. Careful not to get spotted, he went around at a safe distance. The antelope sensed that he was there and ran away, making the lionesses look around suspiciously. He waited until they left, then continued his mission. He eventually came to Pride Rock. He quietly went around the edge of it. This was the most dangerous part. If anyone in the Pride smelled him, he was a goner. He pushed the thought aside and kept going. Even to this day, he was mesmerized by Pride Rock. 'Someday, this will all be mine.' He thought to himself. After realizing that he had hesitated, he started going faster. Adrenalin propelled him to go faster. Before he knew it, he was running over the borders. There, he saw his mother waiting for him.

“You are ready.” She said with that evil smile that Kovu had finally grown used to.[/quote]

Entry #4: Finding Him
[quote]Nala!" A voice called out from behind her as Scar's paw smashed into her face. It was her mother, calling her name. Hitting the ground with a couple gasps following, a laugh echoed through the cave. Scar's laugh.

"She deserved it! I am her king and she didn't obey in getting me my dinner!" Scar yelled in Sarafina's face, followed by an evil grin. Turning around he walked into the dark, and the lionesses crowed around the injured lioness. Sarafina licked her daughters cheek, and nuzzled her.

"Are you okay?" Sarafina had tears in her eyes, as her daughter lifted her head and nodded. "I'll be fine, I'm just a little dizzy. That's all." Answered Nala, slowly getting into her feet. She took a step and stumbled a bit then continued walking out of the Royal Den. All the lionesses wanted to leave, or have someone come save them. A strong male lion could take down Scar, as the lionesses toke down the hyenas. Perfect plan, but where where they going to get a strong male lion, who wanted to fight for them.

Nala made her way to the lionesses den, where most female lionesses stayed nursing their cubs or lounging around talking to other lionesses. There were no male lions, Scar drove them all out, so he had no competition. She sat beside Sarabi; Mufasa's widow; Simba's mother. Sarabi had lost her entire family in a wildebeest herd, she blames herself for not going with them.

"Hello Nala, I heard the commotion coming from the Royal Den. What happened?" Sarabi asked, smiling down at the pale lioness with blue eyes. Sighing, Nala's eyes flickered to Sarabi, "Here's the story, I went out to hunt and like everyone knows there are barley any animals left. I came back with no dinner for King Scar, and he slapped me across my face. It sent my flying!" Nala rubbed her throbbing face, and Sarabi gasped.

"He has no right to hit a female! Even if he is king!" Sarabi said angrily, standing to her feet. Gazing up, Nala looked at Sarabi. "We need to rally up the lionesses, I have a plan." Smiling, Sarabi ran out of the den to gather the lionesses. Nala stayed behind to wait.

Minutes later, every lioness were sitting in a large circle, Sarabi being the only one standing. "Lionesses! King Scar has done enough to us, we need to team up!" The lionesses looked at each other with confused faces. "Not all of us will be included. We only need one lioness for this, to send her for help." Now the lionesses were smiling and nodding. "I don't know about you, but I choose Nala." Nala looked up, and gasped. "Why me?" She asked Sarabi, with confused eyes. "Well Nala, because you're smaller and have more stamania then all of us. A great fighter and hunter. Also, male lions prefer younger lionesses. Most of us wouldn't get anywhere." Sarabi said, most lionesses roared in agreement.

Nala got up, "Fine, I'll go but if I don't find anyone. I won't be coming back." She said, nuzzling her mother. "Good-bye." Were Nala's last words before she ran from the den.

The hyena's were all around, but they weren't paying attention. Many were trying to pry the leftover meat off the bones. Lots were just manly not paying attention, and staring off into space. Laughing, Nala snuck off to the back of Pride Rock. More hyena's were there, but they were all sleeping or playing with their pups.

Nala ran through the crowd, the hyena's growled and snarled at her. She ignored it, as if she were going on a hunt. That's how she past the crowd, she pretended as if she were about to go on a hunt. Running and swerving throughout the crowd, she came to a river. A very strong river. The current was far to strong just to hop in a swim across, so she found an out tree log and pushed it all the way to the river. Kicking it one last time, the log launched itself over the river and to the other side. Making a large bridge for Nala, yet it was an old log. So the possibilities if it breaking were high.

Realizing the stability of the log, she bolted across. The log broke as she reached the end of it, panting she ran into the forest, a very dark forest. She could barely see her own paws hit the ground, the only object visible was the end of the forest. Relieved and wanting to leave the horrid forest, she ran faster and faster. Scared out of her mind from the odd noises and growls coming from the dark trees.

A leopard jumped down in front of her and growled. "What are you doing here, Pridelander?" Growled the leopard, circling the lioness with his claws extended. "J-just trying to find help, the Pridelands have been destroyed by King Scar. Please let me find help for me and my friends!" Pleaded Nala, who still really badly wanted to leave the aphotic forest. Cackling the leopard stopped circling Nala.

"What's in it for me? Eh, cutie?" He winked, rubbing his tail down her back. Growling Nala turned away, "I'll let you live in the Pridelands, once it's restored. It'll be flooded with animals of many species." Nala held her head high, she knew what he wanted but he wouldn't be getting anywhere near it.

The leopard stopped in his tracks. "Now will there be female leopards?" He asked raising his eyebrow at Nala. She laughed, "Of course, silly. You'll only get them if you let me pass. So then I can find a male lion and restore the Pridelands." She kept her face straight and tried not to smile.

"Deal." Smiling, he stepped out of her way. Nala smiled back and bolted towards the end. Knowing she won't be coming back to get the leopard. The end of the forest finally reached her, she could already feel the sun of her fur. Jumping out of the forest, she landed in a small pool of water. Getting all wet, head to toe.

Just great, Nala thought as she stepped out of the small pool and shook her body from the drips of water. She looked around to see she entered the Moto Dessert. Rolling her eyes back and forth, she noticed a very large jungle in the background. Maybe there is a pride living there! She thought, then started running over the large sand dunes and hot ground. The sun beat down hard on her back, as she slowed her run. It was too hot to run, and she wanted to find help fast.

She was so close to the jungle, heat was taking over her body. Nala collapsed, and she was unconscious from this point on.

Nala awoke, she knew the heat toke over her and she was unconscious for just under a day, as the sun was not setting like it was when she fainted. It was in the middle of the sky, at it's hottest. Cringing, she lifted herself from the sand and stretched her bones. Now, she was ever close to the edge of the jungle. Yet, a large crop of brown grass was in front of where she sat, she started walking through the grass. As she smelled a delightful smell that made her stomach rumble. A warthog had crossed her path.

She knelt down in the grass and watched the warthog walk, as it followed a bug it seemed to want very much. Her stomach rumbled more, this animal would be her first good meal in a while. Growling, she started walking towards the creature. It turned around and saw her. They both ran into the jungle... Not knowing what she was about to run into.[/quote]

Entry #5: (untitled)
[quote]Sarabi and Nala walked side by side at the head of the hunting group, all deflated as they returned empty handed. They stopped as Scar’s hyenas blocked their way to pride rock; “Where’s our food!?” It was the leader, the female Shenzi, who spoke. Sarabi stood forward.
“There is no food. You’re king would’ve told you that if he would accept the truth...” She stood head held high, looking the hyena directly in the eyes. Nala admired the bravery of the queen; she’d gone through such pain, and yet still she found it within herself to protect the pride. Nala only wished she could do the same...
“He’s your king too, lady. Get out there and bring us back something good, or you might find you start looking like a real tasty meal to us...” Shenzi lead the pack away from pride rock to the dark caves at the bottom where they lurked about, waiting for a cub to wander too far, or a sick lioness to leave for the water hole.
“I’d rather be eaten alive than remain in this place...” Sarabi sighed. Nala saw the how worn out she was, her eyes lacking the bright spark they’d once possessed.
“One of us needs to talk to Scar,” Nala’s friend Tama spoke as she padded up to join them. “He might listen if we stand up to him!” Nala was feeling more hopeful at her friend’s suggestion, but Sarabi shook her head sadly.
“It’s too dangerous to try rising against him. We’ll need to stand our ground until he finally realises we’re all dying out here,” Nala looked at the queen in disbelief. Was she really suggesting they just sat and did nothing while their friends and family suffered? Tama just held a dejected look before backing away. Nala wouldn’t give up so easily...
“If we just give up, then our numbers can only decrease further! Tama’s right we have to confront him!” Nala received a steely glare from Sarabi.
“You’ll only put us into more danger, Nala,” She looked ready to cut her off again.
“No Sarabi, I won’t! Life can only get better than this... living hell!” She stopped, looking round. Sarabi seemed angry; the rest of the lionesses stayed silent. Nala shook her head in disbelief; “This isn’t the pride I was born into... If none of you will talk to him, then I will!” She stormed up pride rock, ignoring the calls from her ‘friends’. He’d have to listen to her once she had his attention. She paused as she heard him rambling to Zazu. She sighed rolling her eyes, then stepped in...
“Scar!” She stopped as the old lion’s sharp, green eyes passed over her face.
“Ahh, Nala...” He paused as a sickening smile grew on his face. “Your timing couldn’t of been more perfect... My, how you’ve grown!”
She decided to ignore the odd tone in his voice; “Scar, you’ve got to do something. We’re being forced to overhunt!”
She saw him muttering something to himself as he came over to her; “You’re the king, control the hyenas!” He grew closer still; “You’re destroying the pridelands...”
He began to circle her, his eyes tracing the shape of her body; she didn’t think he was listening. “If we don’t stop now... Don’t you see!?” She paused again as he came round face to face with her; “There’s still a chance for things to be alright again!”
He stopped muttering now, pushing his nose to hers with a hungry look in his eyes; she stepped backwards as he pushed closer and closer. “Come see Nala, it’s written in the stars!”
She was confused by his odd behaviour; “What are you doing? Are you listening to me!?”
He slunk by her side, rubbing his fur against her’s; “We’ll create a host of little Scars!”
She shook her head in disbelief and disgust; “What are you talking about!?”
“Tell me I’m adored...” He crept closer to her rear end; she panicked.
“Get away from me!” She didn’t know what to do, looking to Zazu who remained looking wide eyed from his rib-bone prison.
“Tell me I’m adored!” He looked ready to pounce; thinking quickly, she spun round, claws extended, and slapped the lion across the face. The scratches she left there trickled blood slowly; she huddled as far from the king as she good, eyes wide in terror, but ready to lash out again if needed.
“Oh Nala... You know how I hate violence...” His eyes blazed with anger, and he no longer smiled. He spat the next words in her face; “One way or another, you will be mine!”
She shook her head furiously, defiant; “Never, Scar. Never!” She ran past him, exiting the cave as he shouted after her.
“You belong to me! You all belong to me!”
She ran faster and faster, the sound of his slick voice becoming unbearable. She went so fast she practically rammed her mother right over. She shook herself out of the nightmare she’d just experienced as Sarafina heaved herself up, slightly ruffled by the fall.
“Nala, what on Earth is going on?” As she said this, Sarabi &Tama joined them, then more of the lionesses with expectant expressions.
“He... I...” She shook her head, looking to the stars for inspiration; the Great Kings had chosen her at that moment. Her mission was clear. “I have to leave this place.” She turned to face her mother who had a forlorn expression.
“Not you Nala... You’ll die out there!”
“No, mother; I’m sorry but I must do this. It’s the path they’ve chosen for me...” She signalled to the sky above her. “I must do this...”
“She will succeed!” Nala was shocked to hear Sarabi of all people call out in her support. “We will send Nala off with our blessings,” She turned to face Tama. “Go fetch Rafiki and meet us on the Eastern border.” She used her tail to signal the lionesses to follow.
The whole pride stayed silent on the journey, but Nala could feel her mother’s sadness as they brushed fur with each paw step. She flicked Sarafina’s side with her tail in an effort to comfort her, but whilst still keeping the silence.
When they arrived, Tama and Rafiki were already there. He walked up to Nala, placing his hand on her shoulder; “You have taken on a great challenge, young one... I wish you great fortune as you set out this day...” As he embraced her, he whispered; “May you be the saviour we’ve awaited.” He smiled as he drew back, allowing the lionesses to come forward: the elders, the mothers, the hunters, the youngsters, the cub-watchers...
Tama and Kula shared touched heads with their friend; “I hope you know what you’re doing Nala...” Kula gave her a sad look. “Please come back in one piece...” The two young females moved back.
Sarabi licked Nala’s forehead. “Stay strong, child; this journey may take you far, far away, but remember your pride.” She stepped slightly back to allow her friend embrace her daughter.
Nala felt her warm tears trickle down her cheek, similar to her mother; Sarafina still smiled bravely. “We will meet again, Nala. My prayers will protect you; it’s too soon to say goodbye...” She stopped, unable to go on. She gave her daughter a final farewell lick on the forehead, with the ferocity of a mother whose cub was in grave danger.
Nala turned and padded out the first few paw steps of the long journey. She stopped and closed her eyes, then turned to the line of lionesses watching her leave. She met the queen’s eyes; she’d lost so much. Nala took with her Sarabi’s final hopes...
She spoke her final words while staring directly at the elderly lioness, who acknowledged this with only a solemn nod; ”And where the journey may lead me, let your prayers be my guide! I cannot stay here, my family, but I’ll remember my pride...”
And then she was gone...[/quote]

Entry #6: (untitled)
[quote]Same stuff, different day. That’s all life is at the moment; Nothing to excite me, nothing to make me jump up in joy but most of all, nobody to be friends with. The only thing I need to contend with and fight is the loneliness that’s gradually building up inside me. I guess I just need a change in my life. I can’t go on like this much longer; it’s like I’m slowing decaying inside. I never thought I’d ever say this but I really need someone to talk to.
I sigh and slowly push myself up off of the dewy, morning grass, my mind still full of thoughts and questions on whether I should leave and find somewhere else to live, preferably somewhere with some sort of company. In fact, scratch that: definitely somewhere with some sort of company. I was an idiot to believe that living on my own would be a great thing to do. The only thing I can really be glad about now is that I realised it was stupid to live by myself quite quickly.
I take a few small, reluctant steps towards one of the few waterholes in the jungle and stand by the edge of the water. I stare at my reflection in the water for a while before sighing to myself quietly and closing my eyes, letting the serenity of the Jungle simply envelop me. I find myself turning away from the waterhole almost involuntarily but I’m not really too bothered.
I just need to survive today and then maybe I’ll go and find something productive to do with my life. Nobody should live like this. Surviving really shouldn’t be that much of a difficulty unless everything that there is to eat in this place has mysteriously disappeared. Fortunately, that’ll nev-
What on earth was that…?
Hearing a rustling noise in a large clump of foliage I remain frozen in position, my ears perked up, scanning the area for any threats just as much as my now wide-open eyes are. Despite never coming across anything to test my skills in fighting for a while, my primal instincts seem not to have left me but I’m definitely not complaining about that.
I continue to observe my surroundings for another few seconds, however I slowly begin to let my guard down after not being able to pinpoint exactly where any sounds might have come from. Knowing me, it’s probably just my paranoia setting in again. Granted, it gives me a better chance of surviving an attack from behind but damn is it annoying!
I wonder if there’s anything behind there anyway. I suppose it never hurts to take a look…well, maybe it does hurt if there’s something in there to attack you but I digress.
Cautiously, I begin to make my way over to the group of bushes in which I think I heard the noise. No guarantees that I’ll actually find something but yeah…I just dearly hope curiosity doesn’t kill the cat this time. That would suck big time.
I unsheathe my claws just in case I need to defend myself in any way, shape or form. Part of me is hoping that there isn’t anything behind there so I can just carry on with possibly my last day in the jungle without incident. What’s strange, though, is that a larger part of me is hoping that there is something behind there that I can fight. I guess I just really need to let out some of the anger that has been building up inside me lately.
It doesn’t matter now, though, as I take the final few steps towards the bush. I raise a clawed paw up into the air, my heartbeat gradually increasing. With one quick, powerful swipe, I cut away a large amount of the foliage, raising my paw once again, ready to swiftly eliminate any threat.
Surprise is the most prominent feeling that first overtakes me. Surprise that there’s…completely nothing here. Wow. That was the most anti-climactic thing I have ever experienced in my life. I sigh to myself in defeat and make a movement to turn back to the waterhole. My damn paranoia got me ag-
Whoa! What the-!
Instinctively, I slash across the face of whatever it is that has just appeared in front of me. I feel my claws draw blood from the animal in front of me but I only realise what I’ve actually attacked a few seconds afterwards.
Bloody hell…is that…?
It’s a lion cub, that’s what it is and I’ve just injured it. Badly.
After recovering from the initial shock that had taken over me, I decide that I need to help the cub recover from his injuries. I quickly make my way towards the golden-furred cub who seems to have fallen unconscious after my viscous attack.
“Hey! What do you think you’re doing!” an unfamiliar voice shouts from somewhere.
I jerk my head up from the cub and look around for the source of the voice.
“Get away from Simba!” The same voice hollers authoritatively.
I take a step back from the injured cub and catch sight of a small meerkat. Huh. I wonder why a meerkat’s here in the jungle, of all places. Well, that’s certainly a sight you don’t usually see. Anyway, I should get back to looking for that voice. I hate distractions.
I turn my attention away from the meerkat but my gaze is quickly brought back to him.
“Yeah! Down here, ya dummy!”
Wait, that voice is from the meerkat? Does he…does he even know who he’s talking to? I mean, I’m an almost fully-grown leopard and he’s just a meerkat. Now that my attention is fully focused on the small animal, I take a few small steps towards him, giving him an icy glare as I move closer to him. Yep. Thought that would shut him up.
“Look. Just let me help the cub and I won’t need to hurt you. I know I just inflicted a bad injury on him, one that he’ll probably carry scars from through the rest of his life; I don’t need you to keep shoving that fact in my face.” I explain to the now petrified meerkat. I find myself smiling at the look on his face. Damn…I can be pretty evil sometimes.
I lower myself down to the meerkat’s eye level which pretty much means that I’m lying down. “Got all of that?” I don’t hear even another squeak from him. “Good. If you wish to tell me about this ‘Simba’ then feel free. Just try not to stop me from helping him.”
I turn back to Simba after my rant and quickly walk over to him, the blood from the multiple cuts on his face inflicted by my claws still trickling down the young cub’s cheek. The red glint of the sunlight reflecting off the blood keeps catching my eye, despite all my attempts to avoid looking there. Geez…I feel guilty enough already without nature itself reminding me at every opportunity.
I sigh quietly to myself and glance over my shoulder. I notice that the meerkat is following me, albeit very cautiously. I’m not really too surprised about that, to be honest. If I was that meerkat I’m sure I would be just as terrified, if not-
Hang on…no, don’t be an idiot Talir, that isn’t…okay, just turn around and focus on the cub.
“Timon…do you really think this is a good idea?”
“Be quiet Pumbaa. If he really wanted to hurt us he would’ve done so by now.”
Failing to curb my own curiosity, I whip my head around to look at the meerkat and the…warthog. The two animals reel back slightly in fear. Wow…for once I’m not as mad as I thought I was; there actually is a warthog here.
“Don’t eat us!” The warthog cries out in an alarmed voice. He then scoots behind the much smaller meerkat who I presume to be Timon. I think…
“Eat you?” I ask incredulously, laughing to myself at the warthog’s worried state. “Even if I was hungry, which I am, actually-“ At this I see the warthog clearly tense up. Okay, maybe that was the wrong thing to say to this obviously jumpy animal. Still, you can’t really blame me. My people skills aren’t exactly the best at the moment. “-I still wouldn’t try to eat you.” I finish, watching as the warthog relaxes again.
Sighing to myself, I turn back to the injured cub. “Come on. We need to help Simba.” With this, I lift Simba onto my shoulders and make my way back to the safest place I know in this jungle. I’m not going to watch as Simba bleeds to death. This is my chance to put things right in my life again.

I’ve done what I can. There’s nothing more I can do to help Simba…I keep telling myself this but I simply refuse to accept that fact. Surely there must be something else…My heart tells me that I should continue to look for some way to help but my mind tells me that it’s just a waste of time trying. As much as I hate to admit it, my mind is right.
I close my eyes in an act of defeat and turn to Timon and Pumbaa. Surprisingly, they’re not actually that bad to be around. Their personalities really do help to brighten up the mood. I don’t know if they’re still a bit apprehensive towards me but it doesn’t matter at the moment.
I take in a deep breath. “I think it’s best if he wakes up and sees you two first.” I point out, figuring that Simba would probably absolutely freak out if he saw me near him as soon as he woke up. “When he wakes up just tell him that he’s safe, okay? Then I’ll make my entrance.
“Hakuna matata, Talir, hakuna matata.” Timon tells me light-heartedly. This manages to bring a smile to my face. Smiling…that’s something I haven’t done in months. I then nod once in acknowledgement and make my way out of small clearing. I extend my claws and leap up a tree; small enough to climb up, yet tall enough for me to see what’s happening without being seen myself.
I make myself as comfortable as a leopard in a tree can possibly get and focus intently on Timon, Pumbaa and Simba. I’m pretty sure Pumbaa knows I’m watching, as he seems to be moving around quite a bit, occasionally glancing nervily at the surrounding foliage. Pumbaa then turns to Timon and opens his mouth to say something but is abruptly cut off by a loud groan.
The three of us snap our heads to Simba’s position. A wave of relief sweeps through me as I notice that Simba is most definitely alive and about to wake up. Timon is the first to act. He runs up to Simba and jumps on top of him.
“Simba! Simba! Wake up will ya?” Timon shouts frantically, trying all he can to get Simba to recognise he’s actually there.
“Timon, you’re scaring the poor guy!” Pumbaa exclaims in a concerned tone.
“Relax, Pumbaa, it’s-“ Timon gets interrupted before being able to finish his sentence.
“T-Timon?” Simba asks weakly as he begins to open his eyes albeit quite slowly.
“That’s right, kid! It’s me! You’re safe now, don’t worry.” Timon reassures the cub.
Simba rolls over onto his side, ignoring Timon who therefore falls to the ground with a small thump. Despite complaints from the meerkat, Simba continues to try and gain some sense of where he actually was. I chuckle to myself at this, now letting myself relax a bit more than I did before Simba woke up. I guess that I should go and introduce myself. Hopefully I won’t get a really bad reaction from Simba but hey, what can you do?
I take one last glance at Simba before I make my way to the group of friends in that small clearing. He seems to be slowly getting more aware of his surroundings which is always a good thing, I suppose. Y’know, Simba might not even remember me but that’s probably just being a bit too optimistic.
I land softly on the damp, grassy ground, trying not to make too much of a noise. I take a few deep breaths and after a few long seconds I carefully stride into the clearing, pushing away a few bushes as I walk.
Obviously, I seem to have made a large enough sound to be noticed by Simba, as he immediately turns his attention to me. I can see his eyes widen in what seems to be fear. Well, there goes the ‘Hope Simba forgets you’ sort of introduction. Timon and Pumbaa soon follow Simba’s gaze over to me.
I cringe as Timon unexpectedly screams out in fright and bolts behind Pumbaa. Okay, maybe I shouldn’t have stood so close to him...Now I know not to do that again, at least. Damn, that scream hurts your ears. “Sorry, Timon. My bad.” I apologise to the meerkat and then divert my gaze to the young lion cub.
I’m just about to start speaking to Simba but he beats me to it. “W-wait! P-p-please don’t-. Are you-? I-just…I-just…” Simba stammers, gradually edging away from me as he attempts to complete a full sentence. I stay completely still and simply watch as he tries to get as much room between me and him as possible.
As soon as he stops stuttering I jump at the chance to explain myself. “No, I’m not going to hurt you, Simba,” I begin, trying to calm him down.
“B-but…How do you know my name? I didn’t say anything!” Simba cries out. Okay…My attempt to calm him down completely backfired. I officially fail at reassurance.
Before I can try explaining how I know Simba’s name, and probably fail at doing so, too, Pumbaa comes to my rescue. “Don’t worry Simba, me and Timon told him.” Pumbaa then moves to the side so that Timon could be see and glances towards the meerkat. “Well, Timon was the one who told him but…” Pumbaa trails off, catching the glare that Timon had thrown at him.
I look to both Timon and Pumbaa and smile at them. I have to say, these two could prove to be very entertaining. I look to Simba again and take a few steps towards him. “My name’s Talir and I’m a Leopard, if you hadn’t noticed already.” I tell the golden-furred cub, trying to lighten the mood.
I lower myself down to Simba’s level and glance down to the ground. “That scar down the side of your face…” As I say this Simba runs a paw gently along his scar, or, should I say, scars. “…I…That was me…” I admit, waiting for Simba’s reaction. I am not going to like this. He’ll probably try to run away and-
“Actually, I kinda like it.” Simba walks over to a small watering hole and looks at his reflection, focusing on the scar.
-And he’s going to-
Wait…What?
“It makes me look tough.”
My expression is something between ‘complete and utter shock’ and ‘absolute relief’. Now that’s something I wasn’t ever expecting, even in the far reaches of my mind. Well…I guess that makes things a lot easier.
I snap myself out of my dumbfounded state and stare at smile at Simba. “Okay then…now that we’ve cleared that up I guess we can…move on?” I ask, unsure on how to proceed.
Timon and Pumbaa quickly move over next to Simba. “I think we should start introducing ourselves in a bit more detail.” Timon suggests casually, looking to Simba and Pumbaa for agreement. Both of his friends nod and he turns his attention to me.
I shrug and sit on my haunches. “Let me tell you something, Simba.” I begin, focusing my gaze on the cub. “You don’t belong here.”[/quote]

Entry #7: (untitled)
[quote]He kept low to the ground, creeping up to his target as quickly and quietly as he could. It was midday and the sky was clear. He had to be extra careful not to be spotted, even in the tall grass. The lionesses were out hunting, leaving his target vulnerable. Kovu continued to creep forward until reaching the edge to the tall grass. He stopped and saw his the one he was hunting. Simba, alone and in the open. Kovu laid low, ready to attack his target. He anticipated the kill, all of his training had led him to this moment. He mustn't fail now, he couldn't. Digging his legs into the ground, he pounced out of the grass and charged at Simba. Simba faced the other way, not even realizing that he was coming. Feeling his moment come, Kovu roared and jumped into the air, ready to give the killing blow. In the second, Simba turned and morphed into someone else. She was very little, only a cub, but one Kovu had never forgotten. Kiara. Kovu was shocked and terrified as he came down towards her. She looked up at him, her face confused and frightened. “K..Kovu?” she whimpers as Kovu comes down at her. It was too late to stop his attack. He was in the air and too close to her. “NO!!!!!!” Kovu yells as he comes down to kill her with the attack meant for Simba.

Kovu woke up early in the morning, the dream still fresh in his mind. He was breathing heavily, he had this nightmare before. His dark mane that ran from the top of his head down the back of his neck was wet. His mane was also starting to grow from under his neck down to his chest. He got up and walked towards the entrance of the den, thinking of the dream. Why am I still dreaming of her? Why can't I let her go? He walked out of the den to the same scene he had seen most of his life. The barren terrain of the Outlands. Cracked and scarred, dried up of any moisture. The land had died a long time ago, no animal dared to try and live out here. Even the buzzards left this desolate place. The only animals left out here were the Outsiders. Lions banished by Simba for siding with Scar. Kovu didn't know much about him, he wasn't his real father. He only knew that Scar had taken him in and made Kovu his heir. That didn't matter to him though. He was willing to do whatever it takes to get his family and the rest of the Outsiders out of the Outlands and back to where they belonged. He had been training for months for the day he will kill Simba and become the new king of the Pridelands. He would make sure that he would not fail. He walked back to the den, looking for termites that lived in it. Their home was a big, dead tree stump, which was perfect for them since they could live off of the bugs in it. As he is eating, Zira walks up behind him. “Good morning Kovu,” Zira says with a smile. “Morning mother,” Kovu replies as he looks back at her. Oh great she has that smile. Kovu had seen that smile so many times and it annoyed him. He felt like it was a fake smile, one used to make him feel like she cared a lot for him. Well, she had too right? He was her son, why wouldn't she care about him? “It's time for your training today,” Zira says with a chuckle. She always did that chuckle and Kovu didn't understand it. It was like she knew something that he didn't. He gets up and faces her. “Alright, I'm ready,” he says.

“Faster!” Zira yelled as she circled Kovu and Vitani. They were doing one of their “mock” fights, Zira would call them. The fights were just as deadly as real ones. They were meant to toughen up Kovu, to make him a deadly fighter. He always had these fights with his sister Vitani. His brother Nuka was..... well he wouldn't even be able to last long in a fight with an antelope. Vitani and Kovu always fought each other, not out of hate but for something to do. They continued to go at each other, Vitani slashing him with her claws, Kovu pinning her down and biting her. It would keep going until Zira called it off or until one of them was seriously hurt. Vitani brought her legs under Kovu and kicked him off. He landed hard on his back, feeling a sharp pain run up his spine. Zira moved towards him. “What was that? When you pin someone, you never give them the chance to get free!” Kovu gave a quiet growl and got up. He had never gotten the pinning down quite right. He was tired of constantly failing it, and of the yelling from his mother. Vitani paced back and forth in front of him. They both had cuts and bruises all over their bodies. “Come on little brother, I thought you fought better than that, you remind me of Nala,” Vitani smirked. He remembered. Vitani and Nala fought each other just a few days ago when Vitani risked going into the Pridelands. Nala fled after a few minutes of fighting. Kovu knew she was goading him, but he let it work. He filled himself with anger and rage and with a loud roar that echoed across the Outlands, he charged at Vitani and slammed into her head first. He had her on the ground, digging his claws into her and biting her with rapid motions. After a few seconds Zira called it off. It took all of Kovu's will to stop. With heavy breathing, Kovu got off of Vitani and turned to Zira. Zira was smiling, not the same smile as earlier, but one of approval. “Good work Kovu. You've learned to give into your rage.” She looked down at her claws and an evil looking grin formed on her face as if she remembered a memory. “Learn to use that rage whenever you can, and you will be an unstoppable killer. Your enemies will fall before you while you will hardly feel a thing.” Kovu nodded. He knew about the rage, about how Scar used it with his final battle with Simba. He used it so much that instead of leaving the Pridelands and coming to take it back later, he chose to attack Simba. Kovu knew that there is a line between a good amount of rage and too much. He would need to learn just how much of it to use. The question is, could he? He was raised to be a killer, and yet he still had his doubts. He always wondered if he was meant to be a killer, if he would be able to kill Simba when the time came. He had to. He wanted to make his mother proud of him, to show her that he isn't weak. He can't fail this. “Now,” says Zira has she turns and starts walking, “let's work on your hunting skills.” Kovu helped Vitani up and followed their mother to finish the day's training.

He was running through the grass, looking back occasionally. The figure was still following him. He tried to run faster, to put as much distance between him and his chaser. Once he got to the edge of the grass however, the figure jumped on the and they both fell, rolling in the grass. Kovu started laughing and looked over at the figure. Kiara laid there next to him laughing also. They were both cubs, enjoying themselves in the Pridelands. To Kovu, this was the best day of his life. At that instant, a shadow fell on him. He looked up and saw Simba. His eyes had a red glow and his fangs were extended. Kovu quickly got up and backed away shaking. Simba walked towards him growling. “Look at you, your nothing! You and the rest of the Outsiders got what you deserved!” yelled Simba. Kovu tripped over a branch as he backed away. Simba towered over him, then opening his mouth, he his fangs down on him. Kovu woke up late at night and found himself shaking. He thought about the nightmare and knew he had to do it. He had to kill Simba. He just hoped that Kiara isn't around when it happens.[/quote]

Entry #8: (untitled)
[quote]The dark jungle tore past Simba as he ran. Again, he ran through the night, trying to forget. When Timon and Pumbaa took him in, they promised that Hakuna Matata would solve all of his problems. And for the most part, it did. But at night, his nightmares would always return. They always did. The stampede, his father’s dead body, the hyenas. But the nightmares steadily got worse. At first, it was the stampede and the discovery of Mufasa’s body.

But then the others would come. His mother, Scar, other Priedlanders. They would shout at him, angry and hurt at his actions.

“How could you kill Mufasa? Your own father! Get out of our lands! Now!”

“Run. Run away and never return!”

“Get out of my sight! You don’t belong here!”

Some of them would only say one angry phrase or two. Others would give long, mean explanations. But the worst would be when Nala would come. Her angry shout was always the same. Always short, cold and to the point.

“Murderer! You killed him!”

Whenever Nala will shout this, Simba would wake up, panting and drenched in sweat. Just like in this night, Nala’s hurtful shout woke Simba up, and he ran off, leaving Timon and Pumbaa behind. Tears streaked his face as he ran, ragged pants escaping him as his lungs cried for more air. His muscles burned as he forced his limbs to move faster. Somehow, he would be able to outrun his dreams. But only temporarily, and Simba couldn’t stand it.

He jumped on a log over a small stream and ran across. But as Simba jumped back down on the other side, something big crashed into him, causing the cub to trip and fall over. Simba rolled painfully on the ground, losing his orientation momentarily before jumping back on his feet.

He looked around, scanning the night jungle for what he crashed into. He spotted a large shadow move over some bushes, frightening. He stepped back against his will, scared and shaking in fear.

“S- Stay back! I’ll - I’ll fight!” Simba shouted into the night air, trying to hide his fear. Not easy when he was just trying to outrun a nightmare.

Out of the darkness, a lone figure emerged. Simba cringed back when he identified it as a leopard. The much larger feline would have no trouble taking Simba down if it so decided to.

“What are you doing all alone at a night like this, young cub?” The leopard asked. “Relax, I’m not going to hurt you.”

Simba looked up uncertainly. “I… I was just running,” he said softly, unable to find his voice.

The leopard looked at him curiously. “And what are you running from, may I ask? Aren’t you a lion cub? Where’s your pride?” He asked.

Simba looked up again, this time with anger. “What would you care? What do you know?”

The leopard chuckled slightly. “I would like to think that I know a lot of things. I decided that I wanted to learn I could, so here I am, wandering around, learning as much as I can.” The leopard said. “Oh, and the name’s Konsus.” He added quickly.

“I’m Simba.” Simba said, is voice barely audible.

Konsus looked at him. “I noticed that you lived here for a while now,” he said. “Why are you alone?” he asked. “I believe I can help you,” he added.

Simba looked at the ground, trying to hide a fresh set of tears. “You can’t help me. Not unless you can change the past.”

Konsus looked at Simba, noticing the sadness in the cub’s body. “No, I can’t change the past.” He admitted. “But I don’t think that the past will need to be changed.” He said. “If you work with it, I am sure that despite what happened in the past, you can change the future for the better.”

Simba shook his head. “Not with me,” he whispered. Looking up at Konsus’s eyes, Simba took a deep breath. “It’s about my dad…” he said slowly. “He’s… not here anymore. He’s dead.”

Whatever Konsus was expecting, it wasn’t that. “You were close to you father, weren’t you?” He asked. Simba nodded his head feebly. Konsus let out a sigh. “I know it may sound harsh, but… death is part of life. Your father would not want you to die alone out here. He didn’t die just so that you can run off. Go back to your pride and grow up proud. Simba, I know it may be hard, but I am certain that your father doesn’t want this for you.”

Simba’s eyes widened in fear and he started backing away. “No… I c– can’t…” he said. “I can’t go back. I was exiled.” He told the leopard. “I can’t go back,” he repeated.

Konsus shook his head. “Simba, don’t do this to yourself. I don’t see why a cub such as yourself would get exiled. What about your mother? You didn’t say that she’s dead too. Go to her. I won’t be surprised if she wants you to be with her now.” He said. “Simba, can you hear me?” He asked.

Simba could barely see now, his vision blurry with tears. “No, you won’t understand,” he told Konsus. “She doesn’t want me. She will kill me if I go back!”

Konsus shook his head. “Simba, you aren’t thinking. Why would your mother want to kill you? What could you have done to cause your own mother to hate you?” He asked. By now, Simba was up on his feet, hyperventilating from fear. “Simba?” Konsus asked, “Don’t be afraid… I can help you…”

“No you can’t!” Simba shouted at the leopard. “You can’t help me, so don’t even try!” He cried out, hurt and angry.

“Why can’t I help you?” Konsus asked. “What did you do? Just tell me! I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think-“ he started saying.

“It is as bad as I think!” Simba cried out. “You don’t know anything!” He shouted, and turned to flee back to Timon and Pumbaa.

“I will know if you just tell me what happened!” Konsus told the cub.

Simba let out an angry growl. “No I won’t! You won’t understand! If I tell you, you will kill me too!” He shouted.

Konsus was taken back. “No, Simba! I don’t want to kill you. Why would I?” He asked.

“Because I killed him! I murdered dad!” Simba cried, now unable to see from all the tears in his eyes. “I killed him!” He repeated, and ran off, leaving the leopard behind.

Konsus let out a sigh and sat down, feeling sad for Simba. “You’re right, Simba,” he whispered. “I don’t know anything.”

Looking up at the dark ground where Simba was just moments before, Konsus slowly got up. “If I knew enough, I would have indeed been able to help you.” He said into the darkness. “I’m sorry, Simba. I wish I could have helped you, but I can’t.”

Now, Konsus felt his own tears forming. “I still think you’re wrong.” He said. Konsus looked up at where Simba ran off. “Don’t die out here, Simba!” He shouted. “You don’t deserve to die! You are not a murderer! You here me? Stay alive, Simba!”

Konsus turned into the dark jungle and walked away slowly, feeling like he now was somehow responsible for the cub’s inevitable death. “I’m sorry for not being able to help you… If only I knew how to… save your life.” Konsus said. Unable to contain his emotions, he let his own tears fall.

“Stay strong, Simba. You are a great cub.” He said. What Konsus didn’t tell Simba was that he had observed the cub for the past few days. As he walked deeper into the jungle, Konsus looked back one last time.

“Goodnight, Simba.”[/quote]

Entry #9: Destined
[quote]The lion cub bounds playfully across the arid savanna ground, his paws slightly tinted from dust and dirt, his brown pelt also caked with the stuff. His sister lopes behind him. She is trying to keep up, teeth gritted and eyes narrowed in determination. The blazing summer sun shines brightly above, and both cubs cannot help but feel zapped of their usual youthful energy due to its warm rays.

“Kweli, this isn’t fair!” cries the lioness cub, her voice wavering as she fights to keep her brother in view. Kweli is dodging in between bushes and large tree trunks by now, his claws clinging to the dirt and occasional grass to grant him better traction.

“Y-you weren’t list-ening when I said go!” calls Kweli in between breaths as he runs along. “Fair as can b-be, Aina!”

The prize is in sight, and the two cubs race toward it with infectious pining, the shimmering waters of the oasis nearly within their grasp. Kweli is the first to arrive, and announces this boldly, chest puffed outward, his face twisted in triumph. “And the future king wins again!”

Aina scowls at her brother as she arrives to the finish shortly after, licking her golden fur clean. “Pffh, you got a head start,” she growls. “I could’ve taken you easily. You’re not as fast as you think, Kweli.”

“Oh, don’t be a sore loser,” her brother says, smirking almost mockingly.

The little golden lioness glowers at the smiling cub and, with an irritated grunt, launches herself toward him, her front paws outstretched. “Hey!” cries Kweli, unable to match the blow as he is pinned to the ground on his back, his sister standing, teeth bared, above him.

“That’s enough, you two.”

Aina steps off her brother and paws the ground, her gaze downcast. “He’s not being fair again, mom.”

The sleek golden lioness that had been following at a distance behind them saunters up to her daughter and simply smiles. The young cub takes a look at her and frowns. “I get it,” she says in a small voice. “It’s all about Kweli.”

“Now Aina,” her mother sighs, “you know that’s not the case.”

“—yet,” Kweli chimes in with a toothy grin. A scornful look from his mother causes him to cower away, deciding that a drink at the bluish pool of water would be a splendid idea.

But this is already too much for Aina. “I hate this! I hate this pride!” she cries, her small frame padding away from her mother and scampering off toward the tall blades of grass nearby. “Always second to Kweli!” she moans. “I wish I hadn’t been born!”

No sooner has she spoken these words when a large foreleg catches the cub around her stomach, pulling her close. Aina struggles, first in fear and then in fervent annoyance once she looks up to see her father. “Dad, let me go!” cries Aina. “Come on!”

Her father bends over and grasps the cub within his jowls. Aina feels tears welling in her emerald eyes, but blinks them away so that her dad will not see her cry. Kweli never cries, she thought. Neither should I.

Kovu sets his daughter down in between he and her mother, who glances down at her sternly. Her brother, meanwhile, has rejoined the party, an air of smugness to him – but curtailed, as he knows he is presently in his parents’ good graces.

“Now, Aina,” her father starts, his right paw resting atop her, “you know that’s a horrible thing to say, right?”

“And over something so little,” her mother, Kiara, adds. Aina can only sniffle. She feels they are right – and surely she does enjoy having been born – but her frustration is still paramount. Always second to Kweli, just barely…

“Especially considering that what you wished for almost actually happened,” continues Kiara softly. The two cubs’ heads swivel quickly, staring at their mother in unease.

Kovu, too, looks at his mate, but with a slightly exasperated look. “Er… hon, I thought we were here to have fun, not to hear that story.” A pacifying look from Kiara follows, and he shuts his mouth, patiently waiting for one of the cubs to speak.

Finally, Kweli: “Does that mean…”

“Yes, Kweli. The same to you. And, in fact, the same to me as well.”

The cubs’ eyes are filled with a mixture of apprehension and eagerness, and sensing that they are waiting for her to continue, Kiara speaks again, “Your grandmother, my mother, Queen Nala – the Kings rest her soul – almost did not become King Simba’s queen. And had she not, well, none of us would be ourselves at all, would we?”

Aina is amazed. “But… I thought you said that Grandma and Grandpa loved each other since they were cubs!”

“Yeah!” adds Kweli. “Be… be… roved…?”

“Betrothed,” Kiara corrects him with a laugh. “And yes, yes they were. But while Simba was away from the Pridelands… well, here, gather in,” she says, bringing Kweli closer and sitting his sister alongside him.”

This is the story of how you and I nearly didn’t come to be.

For you see, my mother, Nala, was a brave lioness, braver than any lioness I have ever known. After Scar took over this kingdom, she was a rock on which many of the lionesses could lean upon, a beacon of hope in a time of dark peril.

When Nala was old enough, a fully grown lioness, there hatched a plan for her to set out on her own to find help. Things had become worse for her during Scar’s reign as she aged, and the lionesses felt that if anyone would be able to risk their life crossing uncertain terrains to hopefully one day rid the kingdom of their brutish ruler, it was she.

And so she left one night, when the moon was at its faintest. No one saw her leave, not even the hyena patrols around the borders.

“Hyenas?!” Kweli exclaims, his blue eyes glimmering with wonder. “Whoa…”

“Don’t be too excited,” murmurs Kovu, smiling. “I thought it sounded cool when I was younger, too. But under Scar, they were pretty nasty.”

Nala walked for days, drinking little water and eating even less food. The lands immediately beyond the Pridelands are rough and arid, certainly no place for a living creature such as ourselves to reside. Eventually, her entire body aching in pain from dehydration and exhaustion, your grandmother collapsed, and that should have been all anyone ever heard from her.

But Nala woke up. And when she did, she was no longer in the desert. No, she was in the jungle, and a luscious one at that. She looked up from her spot on a bed of vines and soft leaves, and found a black lion staring back at her.

“But black lions… those couldn’t possibly exist!” whispers Aina, glancing up at her father, who sends her a firm look which tells her to not interrupt her mother.

This lion had markings all about him, white ones, lines which ran the full length of his body. His mane was nearly as black as his coat. And he was big, strong. Bigger and stronger than any lion who has set foot within our lands, even your great-grandfather, Mufasa.

“Welcome,” said the lion. “My name is Kuhani. What is yours?”

My mother told him her name and where she had come from. Kuhani told her that he had saved her from almost certain death in the hot sun, and that she would be safe there.

Nala had fallen in love, partially out of gratitude for his gesture, and partly because of the allure that Kuhani possessed. I am told he was remarkable to be in the presence of, a true wonder. And your grandmother had not loved someone since Simba, and for all she knew he was dead. Furthermore, she saw Kuhani as the potential savior of our pride. She thought that if she could convince him to come with her to Pride Rock, he would strike down Scar and reign supreme over the lands, she as his queen.

Kiara glances up to look at her children. Kweli is leaned slightly forward, seemingly about to fall forward as he awaits the story’s continuation. Aina seems nonplussed, though in her head she is formulating what may have happened – and what, as a result, could have happened to her.

Nala spent many moons in the care and company of Kuhani. She told me they would take long walks in the jungle, speaking of the stars and of life. Kuhani, it turned out, was a rogue who was turned away from his pride at a young age, because instead of wanting to become the pride’s next king as he was destined to be, he instead wanted to become a shaman – much like Rafiki in our lands.

I can’t say much else of what happened between the two, but I do know that one day, my mother confessed to Kuhani that she had fallen in love with him. And then she told the story of Simba and his death, and of what she had been sent to do. She asked him to return to Pride Rock with her, as her mate.

But Kuhani sensed something within Nala, something from the Great Kings themselves. Finally he shook his head, saying that he could not leave the jungle. He asked to be excused for a moment, and he consulted the Kings on this.

When he returned to Nala, he had this to say: “It is said that when two souls that are destined to be together, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being. Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile, of your embrace, and his light shines brightest with your light. I see now that I am not your destined, Nala.”

Nala was hurt and bewildered, but listened to Kuhani as he spoke again. “You are destined for great things, Nala, and so is your own destined one. He is out somewhere in the wild – near here, I sense. Deep in your heart, in your soul, he is that who you love. You may not believe me currently, but in due time, dear, you shall.”

As much as she had rather not in that moment, Nala trusted Kuhani with her entire being. And with a heavy heart, she left Kuhani. And from there…

“Simba?” asks Aina hopefully.

Smiling, Kiara nods. “And you and Kweli know the rest, I’m sure.”

Kweli sits back on his haunches and laughs almost triumphantly. Aina, too, is happy. She leaps to her paws. “And then came you, mom!”

“And I’m very glad she did,” Kovu purrs, rubbing his head against his queen’s.

Aina plays out the successive series of events in her mind gleefully, thinking fondly of her mother’s retelling of the union between she and her father, and then her father’s rise to become king, followed by her own birth, just minutes after Kweli’s. It is then that she is reminded of the reason for her outburst in the first place and, now glumly, glances up at her mother. “So… we really almost didn’t exist? I almost wasn’t born?”

“That’s right, Aina, dear. Had Nala stayed with Kuhani, or if Kuhani had come to the Pridelands, things would have been much different for a lot of lions and lionesses. But Kuhani was wise and knew that the path to Nala’s happiness and our pride’s saving lay not in his desires. Who knows – maybe the Kings showed him your beautiful little face that was yet to come, maybe that convinced him,” her mother says happily, planting an affectionate lick against her daughter’s face.

Aina grins widely, but is then sorrowful once more. “Then… wow… I’m sorry for saying those things, mom. I didn’t actually mean it, you know.”

Kovu nuzzles his daughter. “We all say things we don’t mean sometimes, Ai. Just be careful next time, because your mother might have a story for that, too.”

After much doting-upon by her parents, Aina stalks over to her brother. Kweli seems to have realized that he is at fault for having upset his sister, and wears a downcast expression. “I’m… sorry, Aina. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I really never mean to or anything.”

Aina lands a small punch against her brother’s foreleg. “I could forgive you, I think, Kweli.” She pauses. “On one condition…”

“Hm?” Kweli stares at her, bemused.

“As long as you promise to clean up after yourself after you eat my dust when I beat you to the waterhole.”

And she is gone.[/quote]

Whoof, posting all those is a lot of work. Great turnout. Good luck to everyone! ^^

Let me know if I made any errors in posting your stories (in a PM, please). There was a lot to keep track of and it's possible I missed one or failed to italicize something. I'm only human!

And don't vote for yourself. =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Re: MLK Writing Contest #1 Voting!

Postby FlipMode » July 21st, 2011, 9:04 pm

Read a few of the entries this morning, and gave all a more in depth read over the past 30 minutes +. I believe I have sufficient grounds for casting my vote, and have done so ^^ good luck everyone!
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Arani » July 21st, 2011, 9:13 pm

Oh voted first day forgot to post that I did xD
Arani

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 56

Postby Kopalover » July 21st, 2011, 10:28 pm

V-V-V-V-VOTED :D
Signatures by Shadowfax, thank you love <3
Kopalover
X-RAAYY

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...AND VAAAAAV

Nickname(s): Zoe, KL
Pride Points: 33

Postby TheGunner18 » July 21st, 2011, 11:24 pm

All credit goes to SimbaObsesser for the awesome signature!
TheGunner18
Over thinking, over analysing

Separates the body from the mind...

Nickname(s): Gunner, gun, I don't care what you call me.
Pride Points: 17

Postby Kina » July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 am

I also submitted my vote. Yay for writing. ^^
Kina

Kina, lioness of the dusk.

Nickname(s): Moonlight
Pride Points: 9

Postby DGFone » July 23rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

Voted!
And I would like to say that all the submissions were great! I had a hard time choosing!

Great job guys!
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Azdgari » July 26th, 2011, 4:07 pm

If you haven't voted yet, please do! We're coming up on the deadline and we're stuck in a stalemate! :3
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

Return to MLK Writing Contest