When They Sound The Last All Clear

When They Sound The Last All Clear

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » July 21st, 2013, 7:48 pm

Well, now that the summer holidays have started, I thought it'd be the perfect time to begin writing up my new book idea. This book is based in a time of history of which I have always been interested in. This first chapter has a bit of history, both British and just general history of the family I'm going to be following throughout. The three children get evacuated from Cardiff to Cornwall.

The focus will be on Rhian (ree-an), but Arwyn (ar-win) and Lowri (lah-ow-ree) will be included as well. I'm still in the planning process, but I hope to upload a chapter a week or so. So yes, I hope you enjoy! Reviews would be nice if possible. Thank you.

Chapter 1: show
There was never a more loving, caring family. That's what was typically said about the Kendrick's. You could've asked anybody in Cardiff, they'd of told you the same thing. People said that the key to the Kendrick's happiness was true love, a hard work ethic from the Mr and Mrs, and three well-mannered children. This, to a certain degree, was all correct.

Mr Owain Kendrick was born on May 13th, 1906 in Cardiff. Six years earlier, Queen Victoria had died and Edward VII had become King. Edward VII was commonly known as the 'Peacemaker', tightening good relationships between Britain and France. No one thought he'd be as good as King as he was. You could not blame people for being doubtful; Queen Victoria had been on throne for sixty-three years and people were used to her.

Mrs Carys Kendrick (nee Jones) was born on March 29th, 1907 in Penarth. Both Carys and Owain had fore-filling childhoods. Ones spent playing outdoors all day with the neighbour's children and coming home in the afternoon to a 'marvellous dinner' made by their strict, but gentle mothers. Then, later in the evening, they'd receive a life lesson of their wise fathers who spent each day working hard to earn a living.

The Olympics were held in London during 1908, and pensions were approved, guaranteeing hard working families the money to live on into old age. Of course, good times never seem to last. In 1910, King Edward died from bronchitis. It was down to the twenty cigarettes and twelve cigars he smoked a day though unfortunately. King George V assumed the throne, but four years later, Britain declared war on Germany. World War I. Luckily, Owain Kendrick was still only a child, and would not have been called up to join the army. The loss surrounding this First World War was tremendous. Both Owain & Carys lost their fathers, and in 1924, at a memorial service, their eyes met.

The lists of names of the fallen soldiers were being called out. Alphabetically, their family's names happened to come one after the other.

"Thomas Kendrick, a son, brother, husband and father. Michael Jones, a son, brother, husband and father". The two teenagers, grief-stricken in the moment of all the memories of their late parent, looked up. Owain's blue eyes were hazy with unmanly tears; Carys' green ones gave a look of pure empathy and sympathy. After all the names were called, after all the tears had been shed and all the prayers had been said, Carys approached Owain with a small smile.

Within just one conversation, they were courting. Within just one year, they were married. The same year, 1925, the political party 'Plaid Cymru' was created in Wales to support the Welsh language. A language the two could already speak on top of English. The newly-weds found a home in Cardiff, a city of which they had never strayed too far away from.

Carys, from an early age, had always been talented in a certain area. If you had given her any type of fabric, she would have made you any type of clothing in a jiffy. It was this talent which gave her a job opportunity. She started to make children's clothing. She made it from the comfort of her own home. Carys was a success. She had a fabric supplier who had the best fabric on the market and sold it for normal price and 10% of her profits. She had many customers, and business was doing well. Owain need not have gotten his own job, but being the man he was, he wanted to be the breadwinner.

Unlike many men, he didn't mind what Carys did with her money. Unlike many men, Owain wasn't sexist. A few weeks after searching for a suitable job, Owain landed a position as a postman.

This was an ideal job for him, he enjoyed walking and he knew Cardiff like the back of his hand. With both incomes, the Kendrick's were doing remarkably well. One year into the marriage, at the age of 19, Carys had her first child with Owain. It was a little girl, born on March 14th. They named her Rhian. It was a fine Welsh name for a fine little Welsh girl. As she grew, it was apparent she had traits from both parents.

She had fine, silky, honey coloured hair from her mother. Her button nose was her father's, as were her perfect lips. Not too full, not too thin. Her eyes resembled both of their own; a mixture of blue and green, a sort of turquoise. Rhian was an instant treasure to her mother & father. Though, they were careful not to spoil her. Rhian's grandmothers were all too keen to buy her pretty little dresses and plait her pretty long locks of hair.

However, Rhian always had preferred clothes made by her mother. It was a mystery to the little girl as she was growing up how clothes could make her feel loved, she felt as though each stitch was done with care. Rhian wasn't an only child for long. It was the year 1928. Not a bad year by all means, the year before saw the allowance of any woman under the age of twenty-one being given the right to vote. Carys, herself, was a firm supporter of Labour. It took a while to convince Owain that the Conservatives were not as great as Owain's family made them out to be though.

On April 12th, Arwyn Kendrick was born. His name was quite common up in North Wales, and kept up the family's Welsh theme of names in general. His birth was nowhere near as easy as Rhian's was. It was extremely painful. So painful in fact, that it put Carys Kendrick off having another child for life. Arwyn was an early walker. According to Nanny Kendrick, he was up on his feet within months. He had messy brown hair and had inherited his Nanny Kendrick's shade of blue eyes; this was the reason perhaps why she was so fond of Arwyn.

In early October of 1930, Carys and Owain celebrated their 5th anniversary. The 'celebration' resulted in a third child. A complete accident, but once she was born, an accident that they were happy to have conceived. She was born on the 20th of June. They named her Lowri. She was an adorable child who was instantaneously deemed cute, rather than pretty like her sister Rhian. She resembled her mother completely. She was a true daddy's girl when she was little, but loved her Nanny Jones to the point where she'd spend hours just sitting with her, rather than playing with other children her age.

1937 saw the crowning of King George VI. Owain Kendrick was very unsure of the new King. Being interested in the monarchs from a young age, he had learnt of every single one in history and enjoyed following them as they progressed through the years. 1939 however, was a very uncertain year for the Kendrick family. It had been a year of misfortune. Early in the year, Nanny Kendrick had died of what everyone assumed to be natural causes. Owain, being the youngest of his bunch, inherited close to nothing. Nanny Kendrick didn't have much of an inheritance anyway.

Next, all three of the Kendrick children developed chicken pox, one after the other. Arwyn developed some sort of illness straight after. Luckily, he was alright after a month, but it had cost the family dearly to pay for medical bills. Finally, to top it all off, Owain lost his job.

Throughout the year, Owain had been following the news on Adolf Hitler's rise in Germany. The latest news that Hitler was going to invade Poland, and that World War Two was inevitable, made him think. Now that he had no job…maybe joining the army would be the solution? All his children were being educated, with the exception of Rhian who was now helping her mother at home. Children in the working class like the three Welsh Kendrick's only had an education from the ages of 5-11.

His wife was still doing well in business, and her income was supporting the family better than he thought it would after he lost his own job. After a night thinking about it, he explained to Carys what he was going to do. Carys, at first, was completely against the idea. She thought after losing their father's to war he wouldn't want to go near a battlefield.

Then it struck her. Owain needed to work. He felt responsible for his family and their 14 year marriage had worked when they were both working and feeling like a family unit.

Owain promised to send back almost every penny of his wage. Explaining to the children was a lot harder. Rhian understood completely. Being thirteen, maybe she should have been a little more naïve about it, but she was very mature for her age. Her intelligence mostly came from her father; politics and the monarchy were well known to Rhian and she could discuss them for hours with her Dad or anyone who was willing to listen. The fact that she understood what was happening didn't mean she was upset though, and she found herself having a little cry in Owain's arms.

Arwyn was devastated. His father was his male role model. They'd have a kick about in the garden with Owain's old football and his dad would always let him try the froth on his beer. However, he was reassured that his Dad was going to be a legend, a brave soldier who was going to kill all the baddies and come home and let him wear all his medals.

Lowri was the most confused. She asked lots of questions, the main one being 'why'. After plenty of cuddles and soft words, she got the idea that he was going to another country to help the King. For an eight year old, she was pretty oblivious to wars and soldiers and anything of that calibre. Owain Kendrick left home on August 27th. Carys was unsure if she'd ever see him again. That day was the same day Carys found out what she'd have to do about her children in this looming war, and the thought of it was too much to bear.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Re: When They Sound The Last All Clear

Postby Dark Huntress » July 21st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Very well written! I love the narration, it covers everything you want to know and strewn with a bit of humor. I really like the premise as well. I know I don't have the capacity to write a historical story that fits in with real world events and an truly admire your ability to. I can't wait to read more!
Thx Silver ^^ Image
My MLK Family and Friends: show
Sisters/BFs: Scarsmate, Meeko, Kiki, Redkite, and SimbaObsessor
Uncle: Tora
Godfather: James
Brother: Realmofthedragon
Mother: Wolfishgirl
Aunt: Unikels
ADORBZ [fluffy!] kitty friend: OuRaion

Credits Where Due: show
Thank-you, Darth Julie for the amazing avatar!!!
And thx, Silver for the kickbutt siggy!

My Philosophy: show
Love with every bit of who you really are, not with who you pretend to be.

FanFics:
Feedback appreciated! Please check it out!
Bond of Brothers

All artists, please join me on my art odyssey!
Dark Huntress
...And this Mortal...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Shall put on Immortality....

Nickname(s): TJ, DH, et cetera
Pride Points: 22

Re: When They Sound The Last All Clear

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » July 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

Thank you DH! ^^;
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Return to Off-Topic Creativity