Is Mufasa's death the saddest of any Disney movie?

Re: Is Mufasa's death the saddest of any Disney movie?

Postby Regulus » May 11th, 2013, 6:16 pm

[quote="DGFone"]To top it off, I always found the scene where the hyenas chase Simba out of the Pride Lands as quite powerful as well. Sure, we get the bit of humor where Banzai falls into the thorn bushes, but from Simba's perspective, his last memories of the Pride Lands are of Mufasa's death, and the last thing he hears from his home is:[quote] "Yeah, you hear that? If you ever come back, we'll kill ya!" [/quote]

Just wait a while and let it sink in...[/quote]

I totally agree. That last line completely takes away from the hilarity and cartoonish-ness of the entire scene, with Banzai's cactus butt and all.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 11th, 2013, 6:55 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Mufasa's death was also a huge gamble on Disney's part, as it was the first on-screen death of a major good character. Seeing how much of the movie was spent on developing the Simba-Mufasa bond, yes, it certainly makes Mufasa's death the most painful of any Disney movie.[/quote]

Not really. Bambi was released in 1942 and also had a parent death scene. Fox And The Hound 1981 the mother is killed in the opening.

And no Mufasa's death is not even CLOSE to being the saddest scene in a Disney movie. TLK2 had sadder parts than that. Fox And The Hound had one scene that had more emotion than any other entire film. Seriously, that film destroys me when I watch it D:
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » May 11th, 2013, 7:05 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]
And no Mufasa's death is not even CLOSE to being the saddest scene in a Disney movie.[/quote]
Wow, never hear that before...

But I don't think TLK2 had any sad scenes really...apart from Nuka's death but that was nowhere near Mufasa's.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Regulus » May 11th, 2013, 7:31 pm

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="DGFone"]Mufasa's death was also a huge gamble on Disney's part, as it was the first on-screen death of a major good character. Seeing how much of the movie was spent on developing the Simba-Mufasa bond, yes, it certainly makes Mufasa's death the most painful of any Disney movie.[/quote]

Not really. Bambi was released in 1942 and also had a parent death scene. Fox And The Hound 1981 the mother is killed in the opening.[/quote]

Neither of which are anything like this.

[quote]And no Mufasa's death is not even CLOSE to being the saddest scene in a Disney movie. TLK2 had sadder parts than that. Fox And The Hound had one scene that had more emotion than any other entire film. Seriously, that film destroys me when I watch it D:[/quote]

Simba's dad dies, then his uncle tells him its his fault, and then he has to run away forever or else he would be killed - and it all happens on the screen.

That one scene in the fox and the hound doesn't even begin to approach that level of sadness.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 11th, 2013, 9:58 pm

[quote]That one scene in the fox and the hound doesn't even begin to approach that level of sadness.[/quote]

Surpasses it, if you ask me.

Are we talking about death scenes only? If so TLK is the 2nd, maybe third saddest death scene in a Disney movie. In my opinion. "Up" beats it in death scenes for sure. Either way, it's not the saddest and oddly enough you replying to me telling me I am wrong, hasn't changed my mind lol. IT's not the World Issues forum, you can't prove someone's opinion on a work of fiction to be wrong like you can on real world things that actually have proof and evidence :)

If we are talking general sad scenes then plenty of other Disney films and scenes are leagues ahead of TLK in the eomotion scale for me/
To name a few:
Homeward Bound
TLK2
Aladdin
Fox And The Hound
Toy Story 3
I would at least put those five Disney films above TLK in sad scenes. I do think TLK is the better overal film, just not the saddest.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » May 12th, 2013, 4:20 am

What I forgot to mention about Disney's gamble with Mufasa's death is that it's the first on-screen death of a major good character. And unlike in Bambi, where he wanders around the snow calling to his mother until the male deer shows up, in The Lion King, you actually see Simba find Mufasa's body, and realize the full extent of the situation alone.

Or:[quote="Regulus"]

Neither of which are anything like this.

[quote]And no Mufasa's death is not even CLOSE to being the saddest scene in a Disney movie. TLK2 had sadder parts than that. Fox And The Hound had one scene that had more emotion than any other entire film. Seriously, that film destroys me when I watch it D:[/quote]

Simba's dad dies, then his uncle tells him its his fault, and then he has to run away forever or else he would be killed - and it all happens on the screen.

That one scene in the fox and the hound doesn't even begin to approach that level of sadness.[/quote]
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Arbystrider » May 12th, 2013, 7:45 am

Someone should put a warning label on this thread:

SPOILER ALERT - REVEALS DEATHS IN BAMBI AND SEVERAL OTHER MOVIES.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby MooLion » May 12th, 2013, 1:36 pm

[quote="FlipMode"] If we are talking general sad scenes then plenty of other Disney films and scenes are leagues ahead of TLK in the eomotion scale for me/
To name a few:
Homeward Bound
TLK2
Aladdin
Fox And The Hound
Toy Story 3
I would at least put those five Disney films above TLK in sad scenes. I do think TLK is the better overal film, just not the saddest.[/quote]

What's particularly sad in Aladdin? o_0
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Ninaroja » May 13th, 2013, 11:17 pm

[quote="MooLion"][quote="FlipMode"] If we are talking general sad scenes then plenty of other Disney films and scenes are leagues ahead of TLK in the eomotion scale for me/
To name a few:
Homeward Bound
TLK2
Aladdin
Fox And The Hound
Toy Story 3
I would at least put those five Disney films above TLK in sad scenes. I do think TLK is the better overal film, just not the saddest.[/quote]

What's particularly sad in Aladdin? o_0[/quote]

Not only that, what's so sad about TLK2?

(though maybe I'm biased since I don't care for TLK2 at all :/ )
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby DGFone » May 14th, 2013, 2:39 am

[quote="Ninaroja"][quote="MooLion"]Not only that, what's so sad about TLK2?

(though maybe I'm biased since I don't care for TLK2 at all :/ )[/quote][/quote]

Strictly speaking, you do have Nuka's death in TLK 2. And you might even consider Zira's death sad, because it's a very thinly veiled suicide.

But I agree, even the events in TLK 2, nor any other Disney (or even Pixar, Dreamworks, etc...) movie that I know of can compare. Because also remember: In The Lion King, Mufasa's death is a major element in the plot, and not just an event to make us feel sad or scared or anger at the villain or whatever.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies