Rulechanges MoTM

Re: Rulechanges MoTM

Postby FlipMode » February 4th, 2013, 6:20 pm

[quote="Wolf Song"]I know I already posted before but I think I might as well make a post stating my opinion in more depth. While members are what makes the community, I don't think we should just name someone MotM because they're a good friend. I sort of agree with Flip that that can also make them a good, friendly person. But every member I've come across on this forum has been a nice, friendly person so far. I haven't spoken to someone that I couldn't stand on this forum yet. So if we're basing the future MotM off of traits like 'friendliness and likeability' then don't you think everyone on here should have a chance at it instead of the select few that get voted in every month.

It just seems to me that the MotM should be determined by more than just being a nice person. I've nominated people before that have honestly helped me out with their advice. I will admit I did throw in there that they were indeed a good friend. But I gave more of a reason than just that. I gave mentions that they're supportive and willing to help others in need of advice. That's a good thing to help contribute in my opinion. Alot of the mentions I've seen all appear to be 'well so and so and I had a few good laughs and conversations. I'll nominate them because they're my buddy and I think they're nice.' That's fine and dandy but have they actually contributed anything to the forums besides being nice? Members make the forums but it's contributions that count not

[quote="DGFone"]who has the most free time to socialize with everyone[/quote]

as DGFone said. It's nothing but a popularity contest.
[/quote]

I get what people are saying, I just don't personally agree that it was a popularity contest. And thus, don't see why it really matters that people vote or nominate friends.
This rule doesn't stop people nominating friends anyway, they just have to word it differently... That's why it continued to happen when KK made it a rule in October and will continue yet again after this thread, I think. Why? Well I would chalk it up to the fact that, it really doesn't matter if people nominate their friends to be honest.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » February 4th, 2013, 8:31 pm

I think there are many people who deserve to win it. Although, what DGFone said about Skype n stuff I think is true to a certain extent, I can see myself being a bit like 'oh, I cam with them alot and they're a good person I'll nominate them'. I've probably done it before. I see where ya'll are coming from though. But I don't think things will change (as Flip said) it's always been this way since I joined.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby WildSimba » February 5th, 2013, 1:02 am

[quote="FlipMode"]I don't think so. Almost every winner thread gets "You totally deserved it" kind of replies. Anyone who has won it deserved to win it, that's why we have nominations and voting.
Saying it is a popularity contest implies past winners didn't win fairly which, well is a bit harsh to say the least.
[/quote]

Not everyone who has ever won has deserved to win, *coughnoahcough*, people tend to say they "totally deserve it" just to be nice, I'm sure there's people on here that don't really mean it. I personally wouldn't congratulate someone unless I thought they honestly deserved it. But I know there are people on here who would. I don't think it's wrong for you to say you're nominating them because they're you're friend, but at least give reasons as to why they're good friends. Just saying they're your friend is really general, because really, no one knows how your friendship is but you unless they follow you around. Everyone has different friendships with people.

Either way, it's just Member of the Month on a TLK. I really don't think this is that pressing of an issue. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » February 5th, 2013, 6:27 am

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]^The thing is that when you vote for friends, it feels like there is favoritism going on. I don't usually participate in these things because i dont recognize 80% of their names.[/quote]

But is that not the point? You vote for your favourite.
Besides that the keyword there is "looks like" but it's actually not favouritism. I only have a few proper friends on here and if someone can make friends then they've clearly done something right. I mean, You don't make friends by being an ass to someone.

Here's an example: Buffy won MotM last month I think. When people nominated her they used reasons like "is a good mod" "is funny" "is kind" etc. Those might be true but it's all of those things that make her a good friend to me, so why can't I just say that she's a good friend? Same applies to most other people I consider to be friends on here. I just think being a good friend is something people should be able to be rewarded for. My mum was in hospital with cancer and my friends on here at the time were so supportive and tried to talk to me and take my mind off it etc... I'm sorry but that's a lot cooler than making good siggies and avatars lol[/quote]

Here is the thing: maybe YOU (not specifically you, Flip) may be chummy with Member X, but what if said member barely posts outside of certain fora? It is hard to get to know them. For instance and I will be blunt here but i noticed that the most active forums are the ones where members chat to each other about each other and dont really add to the site. They are too busy using MLK as a place to socialize about themselves than about what brought them here in the first place.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby Arani » February 5th, 2013, 7:14 am

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"][quote="FlipMode"][quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]^The thing is that when you vote for friends, it feels like there is favoritism going on. I don't usually participate in these things because i dont recognize 80% of their names.[/quote]

But is that not the point? You vote for your favourite.
Besides that the keyword there is "looks like" but it's actually not favouritism. I only have a few proper friends on here and if someone can make friends then they've clearly done something right. I mean, You don't make friends by being an ass to someone.

Here's an example: Buffy won MotM last month I think. When people nominated her they used reasons like "is a good mod" "is funny" "is kind" etc. Those might be true but it's all of those things that make her a good friend to me, so why can't I just say that she's a good friend? Same applies to most other people I consider to be friends on here. I just think being a good friend is something people should be able to be rewarded for. My mum was in hospital with cancer and my friends on here at the time were so supportive and tried to talk to me and take my mind off it etc... I'm sorry but that's a lot cooler than making good siggies and avatars lol[/quote]

Here is the thing: maybe YOU (not specifically you, Flip) may be chummy with Member X, but what if said member barely posts outside of certain fora? It is hard to get to know them. For instance and I will be blunt here but i noticed that the most active forums are the ones where members chat to each other about each other and dont really add to the site. They are too busy using MLK as a place to socialize about themselves than about what brought them here in the first place.[/quote]

You hit the nail right on the head with that one! *salutes* lol but seriously, you are correct, it's not really adding to the forum if all you do is post in the "what are you thinking" thread lol. Now, a place like World Issues is different, but you all get my meaning.
Arani

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 56

Postby DGFone » February 5th, 2013, 7:17 am

I personally would consider the "World Issues" a very bad place to get MotM qualifications, because that is just begging for trolling. After all, if you agree with the majority, congratulations! Free MotM votes! If you don't agree with the majority... meh, good luck. If people would decide MotM based on what they post in that section, MotM might as well be renamed to "who do most people agree with the most?"

Doesn't actually contribute much to the forums themselves.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Arani » February 5th, 2013, 7:22 am

Lol true enough I suppose.
Arani

Pride Points: 56

Postby DGFone » February 5th, 2013, 7:28 am

What I would love to see is to have a member who contributes nearly only or a vast majority of their posts to the TLK sections. Or better yet, they can even have only a portion or their posts be TLK related, but each one being thoughtful and provoking loads of discussion.

I believe this was what MotM was first created for: you don't have to be a great author, a fanartist, or a graphic designer, but if you love The Lion King, and you show it bye how you post in the Lion King sections, then you will be able to be rewarded for that by winning MotM. These days if you do that, you might get a nomination or two, but I have yet to see a member actually go all the way and win by being a great contributor to the TLK sections.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby OuRaion » February 6th, 2013, 7:17 am

[quote="DGFone"]What I would love to see is to have a member who contributes nearly only or a vast majority of their posts to the TLK sections. Or better yet, they can even have only a portion or their posts be TLK related, but each one being thoughtful and provoking loads of discussion.

I believe this was what MotM was first created for: you don't have to be a great author, a fanartist, or a graphic designer, but if you love The Lion King, and you show it bye how you post in the Lion King sections, then you will be able to be rewarded for that by winning MotM. These days if you do that, you might get a nomination or two, but I have yet to see a member actually go all the way and win by being a great contributor to the TLK sections.[/quote]

Just remember you nominated me for doing what you've said here, and yet I've posted about 30 things all up in the TLK sections. Are you a hypocrite, or were you just nominating me because you could?
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2013, 7:46 am

You also expressed interest in the TLK Flight Demo team. It's not TLK related directly, but for me, it still counts.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements