Because of the new director for the ... prequel? i'm going t

Because of the new director for the ... prequel? i'm going t

Postby Elton John » October 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm

watch his filmography to get a taste of what he is like. Jon Favreau was more known for making blockbusters.... crowd pleaser type stuff. Barry Jenkins is a more experimental, artsy, indie director. The last time they got one of those for a Disney remake we got Petes Dragon which I feel is still the best of the Disney remakes.

I will be gradually be watching his filmography.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Because of the new director for the ... prequel? i'm goi

Postby Elton John » October 26th, 2020, 6:12 pm

I did watch Moonlight.

Fascinating movie. Very subdued.... in the acting, color palette and music, though it felt like there was more to the music in the last 30 minutes and the color palette gradually got more and more colorful but in a realistic way. The characters all acted very naturally. A drama with little drama and what drama was there didn't feel overacted.

You could feel Chirons anger and frustration and sadness throughout the movie so when a pivotal scene happens after another pivotal scene it felt like..... he was definitely at a breaking point.

I am curious to see what Barry Jenkins can do with The Lion King. He is a verydifferent film maker from Jon Favreau I can tell.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheLionPrince » October 26th, 2020, 7:49 pm

I watched "If Beale Street Could Talk" last year, and it was one of the best films of 2019. It was romantic but a contemporary tale about young love and how the American justice system treats young black men. It had an atmosphere of despair, but it ended with a sense of optimism. That said, I have no idea what Barry Jenkins could bring to the table concerning the prequel.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » October 27th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I'll need to watch that one.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » February 4th, 2021, 3:58 pm

I did finally buy If Beale Street Could Talk. Will watch it soon.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » February 7th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Recently finished watching it.

What I have noticed between this and Moonlight is that both movies have very subdued, natural performances. The stories flow well and reach their natural conclusions by the end. There's no deus ex machina, nothing feels unearned.

Both have bittersweet endings. Beale Street moreso than Moonlight.

The people feel like real people. Not much in the way of melodrama. Even the most melodramatic moments are fairly tame.

How will this translate to The Lion King universe? Guess we gotta wait and see...
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » February 10th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Good to hear your thoughts on both. If Beale Street Could Talk has that quality that can make it work for theatre as well with all the nuances - Moonlight too. The book is also great. I like his directing style, and I think it could lend to a unique take on this new TLK film.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Return to The Lion King (2019)