I just rewatched Toy Story 1 for the first time in ages.

I just rewatched Toy Story 1 for the first time in ages.

Postby Elton John » October 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Since the 90's

I had completely forgotten that Hakuna Matata plays on the car radio briefly in one scene late in the movie.

It is a fairly obvious choice for that scene with it being the most popular song from tlk that would fit in such a scene.

but it caught me off guard. i remember so many details from toy story. i saw the movie during its original theatrical run. but i forgot THAT detail.

i was also heavy into the sitcom Home Improvement which had jonathan taylor thomas in it who voiced young simba and tim alan voiced buzz lightyear. my second movie obsession of 1994 was forrest gump which starred Tom Hanks.

I was a bit too young to understand a lot of the older references in Forrest Gump, I just really liked the character Forrest Gump.

but anyway.... huh.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: I just rewatched Toy Story 1 for the first time in ages.

Postby Iberian » October 27th, 2020, 12:51 am

Yeah, I still remembered that one. However, about the toy story series, I have to say the series has been improving in quality with each new movie, both in animation (ofc, technology has evolved a lot), and story wise.
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » October 27th, 2020, 2:28 am

Animation? Yeah. That's a given as tech improves.

Storywise? While the franchise is the best of the Pixar sequels I think the first is still the best storywise even if ts2-4 have great moments sprinkled around here and there.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Iberian » October 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm

I think storywise, the characters seem agressive in the first movie (Woody seems like a bully), in the second and third movies he gets better, but the 4th movie he really cares more for the well-being of the others rather than his own (well untill the last scene, sort of)...

PS: Have you noticed how the color is used in the series?
The first movie uses hard colors and textures, the second is soft and beautiful, the third movie is colorful but bland, and the 4th is colorful and vibrant.
In term of color palletes i rank them 1, 2, 4 and 3.
Iberian

Postby Elton John » October 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Its character growth. Woody and Buzz grow from movie to movie.

Woody slowly becomes less of a jerk throughout ts1.

I thought ts1 had the best character arcs, the best dialogue (plenty of quotable material compared to the sequels) and I like Sid as a villain because he's very real.... some kids are just so deranged, like him.

But TS2-4 are no slouches. They just aren't as good. Pixar set a very high bar with their first movie.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Iberian » October 27th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Can agree. By the way, whats your favorite song of the franchise? for me it is, "I will go sailing no more."
Randy Newman has a fantastic voice. :D
Iberian

Postby Elton John » October 28th, 2020, 1:38 am

I dunno really.

You've got a friend in me is the most nostalgic choice.
Elton John
I’m with you

Return to Beyond The Lion King