Deleted scene with Scar

Deleted scene with Scar

Postby MrTLK » August 29th, 2020, 8:14 am

Did you know there was originally going to be a scene where Timon and Pumbaa encounter Scar? Someone on the Lion King Wiki uploaded screenshots of the storyboards.

In an early draft of the film, there was some kind of plot-line about Timon and Pumbaa searching for Mufasa. In this scene, Timon and Pumbaa are wandering through the Elephant Graveyard (presumably after Be Prepared took place). They see the shadow of a lion and think it's Mufasa. They run after it and the lion turns out to be Scar. Timon says "You're not Mufasa", to which Scar says "Must I forever be reminded of this?!" The hyenas then attack them and they flee.

Here are the storyboards:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lionking/images/8/8a/MustIForever%26Scar1.png/revision/latest?cb=20140127221902
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lionking/images/3/3d/MustIForever%26Scar.png/revision/latest?cb=20140127221933
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lionking/images/a/a8/MustIForever%26Scar2.png/revision/latest?cb=20140127222726
MrTLK

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Re: Deleted scene with Scar

Postby TheLionPrince » August 29th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Wow, this is so interesting. How do people stumble upon such interesting stuff? I'm glad this was deleted. It would have contradicted Timon's statement in "Simba's Pride" that he had never met Scar.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MrTLK » August 30th, 2020, 2:42 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Wow, this is so interesting. How do people stumble upon such interesting stuff? I'm glad this was deleted. It would have contradicted Timon's statement in "Simba's Pride" that he had never met Scar.[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking about that. Although technically Timon doesn't know who Scar is at this point so he might not have remembered. Then again, by the time of Simba's Pride, Timon probably would have figured out that it was Scar, so it's probably for the best that this was cut. Less confusing that way.

And I too wonder how people stumble upon these things. The user who uploaded this is no longer active on the Wiki, which is a shame because I wanted to ask where he found it. Without background or context, these storyboards leave me with several questions. Why were Timon and Pumbaa looking for Mufasa? What does Shenzi mean by "revenge"?
MrTLK

Postby Elton John » August 30th, 2020, 4:21 am

maybe tlk 1/2 had a very different story early on?

like, instead of just being tlk1 from timon and pumbaas perspective it was a remake or reimagining of the first starring timon and pumbaa?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Timon the great » September 9th, 2020, 9:24 am

Personally, I'm not really surprised by this because with all things considered about the direction, almost anything could've gone in this film being Timon's.

With all the research and studying that I've done over the past several years on this LK movie, there seemed to be so many ideas on what George A. Mendoza and Bradley Raymond wanted to do with a Timon and Pumbaa buddy film VS. Timon's very own film by writer Tom Rogers (like we see at the beginning in his colony and midway through the film where he's also all by himself in the jungle paradise). So, an encounter between Timon and Pumbaa, and Scar would've easily been thought about in the process. Just like a near encounter with Mufasa that's shown in the DVD material.

Even more, the linked storyboard images were drawn the same way the storyboard animations in the deleted scene material were too.

@ MrTLK

I'm quite sure that the writers of SP wanted us to assume that Simba (most likely) told Timon about Scar. If not, then Timon wouldn't have known about his name or who he was when he says that line in question, to Kovu.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby MrTLK » September 12th, 2020, 8:48 am

[quote="Timon the great"]I'm quite sure that the writers of SP wanted us to assume that Simba (most likely) told Timon about Scar. If not, then Timon wouldn't have known about his name or who he was when he says that line in question, to Kovu.[/quote]

I mean yeah, by the end of the first film and 1 1/2, he and Pumbaa know who Scar is ("Look there's Simba! And that must be his uncle Scar!", "I'd say Scar is down and out.").

What I was saying is if this scene was included in the movie, you could argue that in SP, Timon doesn't realize that random lion he encountered several years ago was actually Scar, but that would be a huge stretch. He knows that Scar aligned with the hyenas, so he should realistically be able to piece it together. Hence why I said it's better that they cut this scene because it would have needlessly complicated things.
MrTLK

Return to The Lion King 1½