It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Elton John » December 3rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

Its not like all Disney remakes do even close to tlk 2019 numbers. Dumbo and Maleficent 2 did so-so compared to how much Disney spent on them, Petes Dragon did.... ok at best? Christopher Robin.... And Lady and the Tramp didnt even get a theatrical release.

Given that i’ve heard Mulan 2020 has a near 300 million dollar budget not including marketing it needs to make close to tlk 2019 numbers to break even. If the movie bombs Disney will likely curb their future live remakes, limit the ‘sure profits’ to theatrical releases and lower budget but still stuff that is likely profitable to Disney+.

I legitimately want a TLK2 remake. Not just because I want to see it, but because I am curious as to what direction it will go in...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby FlipMode » December 3rd, 2019, 3:53 pm

[quote] I'd say the likelyhood of a tlk2 remake is pretty likely with the numbers it did in the box office.[/quote]

Doubt it. I think they got lucky with this one; they bet on nostalgia and won. You can't make that same bet as safely with TLK2, in fact outside of this forum a lot of people I talk to about The Lion King when it comes up in conversation a lot of times don't even know that there is a sequel.
And look; the money doesn't even matter to anyone except shareholders and people who work at the company. Transformers Age Of extinction also made over a billion and that movie actually does have a negative score on meta for both critic and audience score.

If I were in charge at Disney I would listen to the feedback; there's a gap in the market of people who want them to make something original and they would be silly to ignore that. Because I don't think a TLK 2 remake would do anywhere near as well. Fool me once shame one me and all that.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Stormy » December 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm

That’s what I was thinking at first too. Like you said most of it had to do with nostalgia, and a lot of people who don’t know about TLK2 won’t have that nostalgia for it; and knowing how the 1st remake turned out now they’ll know what they’re in for.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » December 3rd, 2019, 7:02 pm

Flip, a problem with your transformers comparison is that tlk 2019 got good audience scores while Transformers didn’t.

And while tlk2 isn’t super duper well known I wouldn’t exactly call it obscure either. Its like, the highest selling direct to video movie (or at least in the top 5) last time I checked, Plus if they can get back at least Donald Glover and Beyonce, maybe bring back some more star power, like real star power. Stars with cult like fan bases.... it could bring in new fans maybe? Dunno.

I mean they were already talking about making Aladdin 2019 sequels and the two Aladdin dtv sequels aren’t exactly well known and Aladdin made half a billion less than tlk at the box office.

But I do think that if Mulan next year bombs badly Disney is going to play it safe-er for quite a while. Mulan 1998 is a beloved movie but it didn’t set the box office on fire like batb, aladdin, and tlk did years earlier so I dunno why Disney thinks this one needs ludicruosly massive budget....
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 4th, 2019, 3:48 am

[quote="Elton John"]Flip, a problem with your transformers comparison is that tlk 2019 got good audience scores while Transformers didn’t.

And while tlk2 isn’t super duper well known I wouldn’t exactly call it obscure either. Its like, the highest selling direct to video movie (or at least in the top 5) last time I checked, Plus if they can get back at least Donald Glover and Beyonce, maybe bring back some more star power, like real star power. Stars with cult like fan bases.... it could bring in new fans maybe? Dunno.

I mean they were already talking about making Aladdin 2019 sequels and the two Aladdin dtv sequels aren’t exactly well known and Aladdin made half a billion less than tlk at the box office.

But I do think that if Mulan next year bombs badly Disney is going to play it safe-er for quite a while. Mulan 1998 is a beloved movie but it didn’t set the box office on fire like batb, aladdin, and tlk did years earlier so I dunno why Disney thinks this one needs ludicruosly massive budget....[/quote]

Yes from the news I saw back then, TLK2 was the highest selling direct to video release from Disney with tons of merch at the Disney Store, McD and toy companies. Donald Glover, Beyonce, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen all said they'd want to be back if a live action sequel is in the works. I'd be curious if Disney will go a different route with the sequel or if it'll be "Simba's Pride". Hopefully "Mulan" does well at the box office.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Panpardus » December 5th, 2019, 1:49 am

On that last point about Mulan, probably not too well (at least maybe not in the U.S.). The lead actor came out in support of the Chinese government and authorities in the Hong King protests, which didn't really help things for the movie's promo, at least not among Asian American audiences if the online backlash is anything to go by. It might still do well in China though.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Stormy » December 5th, 2019, 4:10 am

The Lion King jumped about 300,000+ since I posted the thing about almost at 1,656. Whew.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby Elton John » December 7th, 2019, 3:40 am

Like, a year before the tlk remake was announced I totally called it and there were plenty of naysayers who when officially announced acted like it was inevitable.

Today they announced an Aladdin remake spinoff for Disney+ starring that other prince. They also confirmed another Aladdin movie is in the planning stages.

So i’m calling it now. There will be a direct sequel to The Lion King 2019. Whether it is an adaptation of Simbas Pride or a new direction, there will be a direct theatrical sequel.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 7th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Oh yes I think the whole politics thing may not fare well for “Mulan”.

And I hope the CGI version of TLK2 is “Simba’s Pride”. It’d be epic to see who they cast as Zira and all the new characters.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Stormy » December 7th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I’m hoping me being doubtful to myself will make it happen and make it more exciting for me.

8-)
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)