It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Elton John » October 9th, 2019, 3:20 am

I bought it a few days ago, good song.

TLK was number 11 yesterday in the US box office. Barely above 70,000. But still vastly higher than other family films that released after, like dora, scary stories, and angry birds 2. Dreamworks Abominable made more money yesterday but is not even two weeks old.

TLK is this close to 1.65 billion on a global scale. Very close to Jurassic Worlds number.

The only other two movies I can see topping that number is Frozen 2 and Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker. As for Star Wars, The Last Jedi had a sharp decrease from The Force Awakens and Solo tanked pretty badly so...Good luck?

As for Frozen 2 I think it will do over a billion, maybe even go past the original Frozen’s numbers but TLK 2019’s number is just plain absurd. It’s Lex Luthor, Scrooge McDuck goldpool levels of money. Can the Queen of Ice beat the King of Pride Rock?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Gemini » October 9th, 2019, 5:41 am

[quote="Elton John"]I bought it a few days ago, good song.

TLK was number 11 yesterday in the US box office. Barely above 70,000. But still vastly higher than other family films that released after, like dora, scary stories, and angry birds 2. Dreamworks Abominable made more money yesterday but is not even two weeks old.

TLK is this close to 1.65 billion on a global scale. Very close to Jurassic Worlds number.

The only other two movies I can see topping that number is Frozen 2 and Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker. As for Star Wars, The Last Jedi had a sharp decrease from The Force Awakens and Solo tanked pretty badly so...Good luck?

As for Frozen 2 I think it will do over a billion, maybe even go past the original Frozen’s numbers but TLK 2019’s number is just plain absurd. It’s Lex Luthor, Scrooge McDuck goldpool levels of money. Can the Queen of Ice beat the King of Pride Rock?[/quote]

I'm excited for Frozen 2, actually. Might just go see it when it stops by town - a bit hard nowadays since movies tend to disappear if I don't act right away, but I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for it.

I know the popular thing for years has been to hate on Frozen a little because of how overhyped it is but as someone who saw it before the merchandising and pop culture around it got obnoxious it's really not that bad of a film and I'm looking forward to seeing how they expand/develop the themes of the first film in the sequel.
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Elton John » October 9th, 2019, 3:14 pm

i like frozen as well and want to see frozen 2, hopefully in theaters.

tlk 2019 drops on digital platforms this friday but i’m waiting for the 4K blu ray combo pack (which releases this month) which will include a digital copy anyway.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Stormy » October 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm

i dont know what to think about frozen 2, i liked the first one but im not so sure about the 2nd movie. maybe its just the trailers that make me think that but i guess i'll see if i like it when the time comes. as for it passing TLK 2019, i think it's possible, but it'd be a close one if it does. that is a LOT of money. but it did it once getting top animated film, not impossible to do it again i suppose.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » October 9th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I like how Frozen 2 looks like some kind of bold fantasy action adventure movie with singing in it, which is a sharp contrast from the originals more fairytale like feel. Almost every disney sequel / prequel in the past 10 years has felt like a retread of the first.

On a different note, I wonder what Jon Favreau feels about the reception towards this remake? On one hand the movie is now in the top 10 highest grossers and audiences generally liked it. Critics however were really harsh and not every moviegoer was pleased by it.

Remaking Disneys sacred cow (or, one of their sacred cows) is a massive undertaking and he did say a few years back he was rather afraid of messing it up.

Audiences and critics were very kind towards his Jungle Book remake for the most part .... but thinking about it, it was a rather lousy movie with some nice visuals. I am glad that they got a boy whose Ethnicity fits the character but he just could not act at all and people were complaining that TLK 2019 butchered the originals soundtrack but The Jungle Book had Bill Murray and Christopher Walken butchering the originals songs. At least for the most part TLK 2019 had actors with previous singing experience.

Will I still feel the same way about TLK 2019 on rewatch as I did in theaters? I guess I will find out soon enough...
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 10th, 2019, 10:32 am

Looking forward to “Frozen 2” as well. I think Evan Rachel Wood and Sterling K Brown would make a wonderful addition to the plot.

Yes the 2019 version of “The Lion King” seems to have mixed reviews, though after more came to see it in theaters, more favorable comments started to show up. I agree that most of the cast sang wonderfully. On social media, many were surprised by how great Billy Eichner’s voice is. Turns out he has a B.A. in Theater.

I love that the original cast have given the 2019 cast their blessings to play their respective characters. Seeing the interviews with the original cast about how supportive they are towards Jon Favreau is amazing.

[quote="Abyssal_S"]If Simba's pride or 1 1/2 does become a reality, I actually wonder if it'll go straight to Disney+ like Lady and the Tramp is doing. There is so many people who don't even know 2 or 1 1/2 even existed.[/quote]

I wonder that too. Yes many are just starting to find out that 2 and 1 1/2 existed. I did recall 2 had tons of promos and merch, including Happy Meal toys.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Elton John » October 10th, 2019, 6:02 pm

It’s not going to Disney+, especially if Beyonce is still in it. Too much money to be made.

In fact if Beyonce is still Nala I can see her having a MUCH bigger role in it than Nala did in TLK2 1998. The Beyonce fanbase is very large and cult-like. It would be stupid for them not to have her return.

Plus I thought she did a rather fine job as Nala and giving my favorite character a bigger role, maybe even her own song that is a traditional musical number? I need this movie.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Stormy » October 10th, 2019, 7:52 pm

[quote="Elton John"]
In fact if Beyonce is still Nala I can see her having a MUCH bigger role in it than Nala did in TLK2 1998.[/quote]

Probably, considering they tried giving Nala a bigger role in TLK 2019.
I guess if it does come out in theaters most people will be seeing the live action version of TLK2 for the first time instead of the original 1998 version.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » October 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm

not so sure about that

last i read tlk2 is the highest selling direct to video sequel ever, over 18 million copies worldwide.

I will need to check my sources in a bit to see if this is accurate.

At one point TLK was the highest selling VHS ever, then some Harry Potter movie took the crown. Then TLK took the crown again at over 50 million VHS tapes sold ww.

I also remember reading that tlk is in the top 10 selling blu ray list in spite of being vaulted fairly quickly. This was before the first re-release and the 4K release.

Again, I will need to check my sources to verify my claims.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 11th, 2019, 5:42 am

[quote="Elton John"]not so sure about that

last i read tlk2 is the highest selling direct to video sequel ever, over 18 million copies worldwide.

I will need to check my sources in a bit to see if this is accurate.

At one point TLK was the highest selling VHS ever, then some Harry Potter movie took the crown. Then TLK took the crown again at over 50 million VHS tapes sold ww.

I also remember reading that tlk is in the top 10 selling blu ray list in spite of being vaulted fairly quickly. This was before the first re-release and the 4K release.

Again, I will need to check my sources to verify my claims.[/quote]

From what I read, yes TLK 2 Simba’s Pride was the highest selling direct to video sequel back then, even surpassing Aladdin 2: The Return of Jafar”, which was the first direct to video sequel ever released. I still have all TLK2 merchandises I bought at the Disney Store and looking back at it, Disney did seem to spend a lot of money on promoting the movie.

That’s so great to know about TLK blu rays. I’m about to complete my blu-ray collection, including the sequels, and I look forward to getting the 2019 version too.

Beyonce said in one of the interviews that she would want to return (same with the other cast members) so hopefully a TLK2 can be in the works.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)