My review of The Lion King 2019

My review of The Lion King 2019

Postby Hatari05 » July 23rd, 2019, 9:28 pm

With the movie having a post discussion and having seen it myself I have decided to do a full blown and in depth review since my statement would be too long for a simple opinion. The Lion King remake on the surface certainly looks like a copy paste of the original but while following the original the character arcs and themes have more ties to Simba's pride than they do the original.

This is most evident with Simba himself who had every aspect of his motivation changed. New Simba's motive as a cub is impressing his father living up to the lion his father is. Simba is disappointed at being told no by Mufasa regarding the hyenas not because he was forbidden to do something he wanted to which he felt went against his royal right but rather because his father didn't trust him to accompany him didn't think he could help when Simba wanted to. During his scene with Scar Simba is actually insecure about the prospect of being a king who will give his uncle orders like his father does, he goes to the elephant graveyard because he sees it as a way of proving he is more than just a cub. I just can't wait to be king is intriguing because Simba's singing voice is rather meek as Nala completely overpowers his singing range.

Simba's massive ego in the remake is fake hiding a very insecure cub who thinks he can't live up to his father. Even the gorge is yet another attempt to impress his father by finding his roar, Simba as a cub already has his adult counterparts lack of self worth wanting to live up to his father but thinking he isn't good enough and even believing Mufasa sees him as a disappointment.

This is a very different relationship Simba has with Mufasa and it changes the entire context of the rest of his arc. The remember scene cannot be the same since Simba didn't forget who he was, if anything he never moved beyond it and is still the same cub who was desperately seeking to impress his father. Simba and Mufasa have deeply rooted issues in the remake that need to be resolved which plays into the completely different portrayal of Mufasa.

Mufasa in the remake is not the great lion we remember he is a great king but unlike his original self Mufasa has massive issues his whole life is nothing but a deep scar. His marriage to Sarabi is a reminder of his failed relationship with his brother, everytime he looks at his brother he sees his failure to Scar as a brother running down his eye. He knows Scar is dangerous and probably should exile him but he can't do it because as far as Mufasa is concerned Scar being dangerous is his fault he can't punish him for his mistakes. James Earl Jones doesn't play Mufasa as strong his voice sounds old showing Mufasa is beaten tired, exhausted and battle scarred.

Mufasa doesn't want Simba to be like him because Mufasa isn't even certain if he wants to be Mufasa. As disappointed as Simba is in himself Mufasa is equally disappointed in himself especially since he thinks he failed Simba and not the other way around. Scar and Simba both want to be Mufasa to prove their own self worth. Scar wants his mate and Simba wants his title yet neither of them understand just what being Mufasa means.

They both represent different sides of Mufasa, Scar is his past while Simba is his future. Simba could also be Scar's future but he can only see the past through him a reminder of being rejected by Sarabi. Mufasa needed the remember scene as much as Simba did as it was Mufasa who truly forgot who he was, he was so burdened with the scars of his past that he couldn't see his greatest pride right in front of him Simba, and now he could finally admit this to Simba and allow both to put the past behind them while Scar can't and as a result it destroys him.

The conflict between Mufasa and Scar while different actually has quite a bit in common with the pride Landers and outsiders as Simba represents the same thing Kovu and Kiara did for the 2 prides hope for Mufasa and Scar but both can't see this due to the past loss which they can't let go, Scar can't see Simba as his chance to reconcile with his family and Mufasa can't see him as a sign that he himself is a worthwhile lion. This gives Mufasa analogies of Simba in LK 2 and Scar a motive quite in line with Zira the loss of the one he loved and a deep desire for revenge due to that loss. Mufasa and Scar are the outsiders and pride Landers however this time there's no Romeo and Juliet story to unite them so it ends with both sides dying and leaving the next generation to hopefully not repeat those mistakes not repeat the past.

The Lion King remake is about putting the past behind you and not letting it define you. The remake has the skin, body and movement of the original but the blood beneath it is Simba's Pride.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Re: My review of The Lion King 2019

Postby SimbasGuard » July 28th, 2019, 1:21 am

Wow! I could tell that the remake did manage to set itself apart from the original, but as usual I never would have seen the nuances that you did (and I saw the movie twice). Bravo!
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Gaze » July 28th, 2019, 5:14 pm

I always love reading your analysis posts, and this is no exception!! really wonderful interpretation.
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Postby gothprincesskiara » July 28th, 2019, 5:57 pm

So I saw again for the 3rd time with my parents, and once again the more I see it the more I LOVE everything about it, the scenery the characters, and the music, Cub Simba just becomes more and more cute the more I see him and Timon and Pumbaa I cant get enough of them Timon is such freakin ADORABLE meerkat, I enjoy watching him so much. just cant get enough of it now, it just gets me so excited every time just awakening my whole love for the original, my love for lions and just the beautiful nature of Africa that I love so much. Its made me cry and laugh just from feeling the emotion of my love and passion for it all. I'm getting future ideas for RP, I have been noticing other things that I haven't noticed even the second time, It has only reminded me how proud of a Lion King fan I have been and the Lion I have become growing up on the inside as Queen Goth Kiara. Once again my fellow TLK fans, the way I see it, is if you hate this version weather you have seen or not, if you cant step out of your comfort Zone or expand your mind or open to the different possibilities, and accept some change, and if all you care about is the original animated film, and you never really cared about real lions or fallen in love with the spirit of African culture than thats just sad, because when Disney made these animated classics with the hand drawn animation, it should never be just about the colors or about the story or just for fun and entertainment, there has ALWAYS been something more to the meaning behind them. Not learning about the culture and the nature of it, well thats not being a true fan to me. I said it before and I will say it again if you dont like the changes im about to make to our RP, then leave and if you dont like how the CGI work of the characters has been done in this new version, then its a disgrace to the lion species, because Disney did a A+ job in my opinion and I applaud them over and over again, Dont just say oh im not gonna see because others didnt like it, BECAUSE WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Its like you dont like a food without trying it for the first time, you cant say you dont like without trying it first, GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T YET! CANT WAIT for the DVD to come cause im looking forward to behind the scenes.

Plus you all better look at this, all the more reason to go see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJjRLw ... OVZCnR7FO0
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Hatari05 » July 28th, 2019, 8:24 pm

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]So I saw again for the 3rd time with my parents, and once again the more I see it the more I LOVE everything about it, the scenery the characters, and the music, Cub Simba just becomes more and more cute the more I see him and Timon and Pumbaa I cant get enough of them Timon is such freakin ADORABLE meerkat, I enjoy watching him so much. just cant get enough of it now, it just gets me so excited every time just awakening my whole love for the original, my love for lions and just the beautiful nature of Africa that I love so much. Its made me cry and laugh just from feeling the emotion of my love and passion for it all. I'm getting future ideas for RP, I have been noticing other things that I haven't noticed even the second time, It has only reminded me how proud of a Lion King fan I have been and the Lion I have become growing up on the inside as Queen Goth Kiara. Once again my fellow TLK fans, the way I see it, is if you hate this version weather you have seen or not, if you cant step out of your comfort Zone or expand your mind or open to the different possibilities, and accept some change, and if all you care about is the original animated film, and you never really cared about real lions or fallen in love with the spirit of African culture than thats just sad, because when Disney made these animated classics with the hand drawn animation, it should never be just about the colors or about the story or just for fun and entertainment, there has ALWAYS been something more to the meaning behind them. Not learning about the culture and the nature of it, well thats not being a true fan to me. I said it before and I will say it again if you dont like the changes im about to make to our RP, then leave and if you dont like how the CGI work of the characters has been done in this new version, then its a disgrace to the lion species, because Disney did a A+ job in my opinion and I applaud them over and over again, Dont just say oh im not gonna see because others didnt like it, BECAUSE WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Its like you dont like a food without trying it for the first time, you cant say you dont like without trying it first, GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T YET! CANT WAIT for the DVD to come cause im looking forward to behind the scenes.

Plus you all better look at this, all the more reason to go see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJjRLw ... OVZCnR7FO0[/quote]

Thank you for your passion but please don't make comments ridiculing others like saying they never cared about real lions to begin with. Even if you feel this is true there is no need to outright say it. My review was meant to explore the beauty of the new movie for those who might be disappointed and maybe give them a new perspective or give those who do love it more to value. It's meant to unite not divide so please don't say anything that might provoke someone into conflict.

You are right we are all different yet similar at the same time. I don't just say this to Gothprincess Kiara but to any who read this. If you love something love it without trying to drag another thing or individual down. Do not burden your love of the original movie, the remake, Simba's Pride, Lion Guard or 1 1/2 with resentment for another thing or individual. If you love all things Lion King or only a certain part of it either way spread that love peacefully and happily without any desire to prove another wrong.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short

Postby PridelandsPhantom » July 28th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I do love real lions, which is why I watch National Geographic documentaries to see real nature. If you like the remake, then good for you. I personally do not but still love animated TLK. We can all be fans without agreeing on liking everything.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Return to The Lion King (2019)