TLK 2019 - Discussion [Spoilers!!]

Re: TLK 2019 - Discussion [Spoilers!!]

Postby TheLionPrince » July 27th, 2019, 12:50 am

[quote="Julia P"]I know a lot of people complain about no facial expressions. So of course without complete facial expressions, you're not gonna get all the emotional effect. BUT they were trying to be realistic, so it's understandable. And if they HAD done facial expressions, everyone probably would’ve made fun of it for looking goofy or something. [/quote]

Not necessarily. Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was digitally animated to resemble a real lion and even he had some recognizable facial expressions. Even the animals in The Jungle Book remake emoted a bit.

[quote="Julia P"]A lot of people complained about it being so similar to the original too. I was SO happy that it was! If they changed it too much, then everyone would’ve complained that it was too different! That’s something to wrap your head around. They had the perfect blend of same and different.

I’ll never love the movie in the way I do the original. But to me it was a cool idea and fun to watch! Of course it wasn’t as great as the original. The original is so good, that even if you try to copy it, you just can’t copy it!

Thanks for reading 8-)[/quote]

I think some fans would have complained if they had changed too much, but speaking of myself, I would have complained if the alterations from the original story weren't done right. Take for example, the song "The Morning Report" being added to the original film almost ten years after it's been made. I didn't complain that the song changed what was already a good scene, but that the song just didn't advance the story like the other ones did.

I'm satisfied with the little changes that they made, but I felt they could have done a lot more to give the remake its own identity.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby TLK_Kid » July 27th, 2019, 6:00 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]

I'm satisfied with the little changes that they made, but I felt they could have done a lot more to give the remake its own identity.[/quote]

I agree. The only thing about the film that left me a little disappointed was that I felt like they had more potential with the plot details than they actually used. But there are only so many things you can fit in a two-hour time slot, and most of that was already taken up with things we wanted from the original. So, all in all, I'm happy we got some small additions to the subplots, even if they weren't fleshed out...guess it's up to fanfiction now, lol :P

[quote="KiovuLove"]I loved the small aspect that scar was interested in Sarabi years ago and offers her to be queen. That could be why he said in the beginning "I would never dream of challenging you...again".[/quote]
I want a prequel, Disney.

Now.

(WAIT, on that note, is this implying we finally know where Scar got his scar? :-o or was that the point all along and I missed it... xD)

Mode note: Merged the two posts. Please don't double post.
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby Iberian » July 27th, 2019, 6:31 pm

They would have made more money by making a 2d animated prequel (perhaps telling the story of mufasa, scar, ahadi, uru and the rest of the gang). Stakes... Risk... is what is lacking in the industry.
Overhall i think i might have been to harsh to this movie. It was fun to watch, it just wasn´t nearly as good as the original...
PS: Oh boy would i give my left kidney to watch that prequel...
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby TheLionPrince » July 28th, 2019, 2:32 am

[quote="TLK_Kid"]
[quote="KiovuLove"]I loved the small aspect that scar was interested in Sarabi years ago and offers her to be queen. That could be why he said in the beginning "I would never dream of challenging you...again".[/quote]
I want a prequel, Disney.

Now.

(WAIT, on that note, is this implying we finally know where Scar got his scar? :-o or was that the point all along and I missed it... xD)

Mode note: Merged the two posts. Please don't double post.[/quote]

In the remake, Scar had previously challenged Mufasa for the throne and lost resulting in Scar getting his facial scar. The original film never explained how Scar got it.
TheLionPrince

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SimbasGuard » July 28th, 2019, 2:59 am

Just going to copy and past most of what I said in another thread:

I really liked this remake

I liked how this remake managed to be it's own thing.

I liked most of the changes.

Sarafina got another line! (and got to say an additional word).

Scar wanting Sarabi for his Queen makes much more sense than Scar wanting Nala. It is also handled way better than in any FanFiction I have ever read.

I like that Shenzi was established as The leader of her clan. I had always assumed she was before.

I really like how they expanded Zazu's role. I with impressed with him.

The realistic animation does not lend itself to expressing emotion.

Simba crying out for help when Mufasa dies, Simba's ascension to The Throne, and Can You Feel The Love Tonight (I Ireally miss The Look) do not have the originals emotional impact.

I really would have liked for Nala's Father to be addressed in some way.

Sarafina's name was not mentioned in the movie...again.

They went to all the trouble of changing Banzai and Ed's names to Kamari and Azizi. Then they did not mention them by name in the movie :?

No hint of a sequel.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby gothprincesskiara » July 28th, 2019, 6:02 pm

So I saw again for the 3rd time with my parents, and once again the more I see it the more I LOVE everything about it, the scenery the characters, and the music, Cub Simba just becomes more and more cute the more I see him and Timon and Pumbaa I cant get enough of them Timon is such freakin ADORABLE meerkat, I enjoy watching him so much. just cant get enough of it now, it just gets me so excited every time just awakening my whole love for the original, my love for lions and just the beautiful nature of Africa that I love so much. Its made me cry and laugh just from feeling the emotion of my love and passion for it all. I'm getting future ideas for RP, I have been noticing other things that I haven't noticed even the second time, It has only reminded me how proud of a Lion King fan I have been and the Lion I have become growing up on the inside as Queen Goth Kiara. Once again my fellow TLK fans, the way I see it, is if you hate this version weather you have seen or not, if you cant step out of your comfort Zone or expand your mind or open to the different possibilities, and accept some change, and if all you care about is the original animated film, and you never really cared about real lions or fallen in love with the spirit of African culture than thats just sad, because when Disney made these animated classics with the hand drawn animation, it should never be just about the colors or about the story or just for fun and entertainment, there has ALWAYS been something more to the meaning behind them. Not learning about the culture and the nature of it, well thats not being a true fan to me. I said it before and I will say it again if you dont like the changes im about to make to our RP, then leave and if you dont like how the CGI work of the characters has been done in this new version, then its a disgrace to the lion species, because Disney did a A+ job in my opinion and I applaud them over and over again, Dont just say oh im not gonna see because others didnt like it, BECAUSE WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Its like you dont like a food without trying it for the first time, you cant say you dont like without trying it first, GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T YET! CANT WAIT for the DVD to come cause im looking forward to behind the scenes.

Plus you all better look at this, all the more reason to go see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJjRLw ... OVZCnR7FO0
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby TheLionPrince » July 28th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I knew you would love this movie, Goth, but a common point of criticism towards the remake doesn't come from the fact that we can't appreciate watching real lions and it makes us less of a loyal fan base because of it. It's just there's a certain disconnect from seeing expression-less lions and hearing emotional voices from the actors that makes it somewhat jarring for us viewers.

The Lion King is a very emotional story and we are supposed to relate with the characters. Going all in with the photorealism took out too much of the charm and personality. Heck, even Pixar managed to take metal robots that normally can't express emotions and found a way to give them a personality in WALL-E.

Also, Goth, may you try to use paragraphs and properly space out your thoughts?
TheLionPrince

Previous

Return to The Lion King (2019)