TLK 2019 - Discussion [Spoilers!!]

TLK 2019 - Discussion [Spoilers!!]

Postby Iberian » July 19th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Tought it was a good idea to create a separate thread in which people who have already seen the movie could discuss it without spoiling it to the ones who haven´t seen it.
Having said this, you are warned spoilers ahead!
Let the fun begin :)
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Re: TLK 2019 - Discussion [Spoilers!!]

Postby KiovuLove » July 20th, 2019, 5:42 am

well there's not too many things to spoil bUT I loved Timon and pumbaa's 4th wall breaking moments. They knew most of us have seen the original and just had fun with it. And OMG THE FARTED MOMENT. I died. I always made fun of the movie for not saying it especially once I got older. Baby pumbaa was ADORABLE with his little butt bubbles lol I loved the small aspect that scar was interested in Sarabi years ago and offers her to be queen. That could be why he said in the beginning "I would never dream of challenging you...again". And OMG THE BE OUR GUEST PART! hilarious. Everyone in the theatre lost it for good solid minute.
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby TheLionPrince » July 20th, 2019, 6:10 am

The movie's been spoiled for 25 years.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby KiovuLove » July 20th, 2019, 6:58 am

There's changes. Every live action has has them
But you'll see every day

We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Iberian » July 20th, 2019, 11:57 am

Well I didn´t like that they changed the reason behind Nala´s run away from the Pridelands. In the storyboards as well as in the broadway Scar tried to make Nala his queen, meanwhile in the remake Scar is more fond of Sarabi and wants her to be his queen (maybe perhaps Scar had already tried to seduce Nala, who knows...)

The one part I must say I enjoy is when Nala chases Pumba, I found that scene at the same level of the original one.

PS: Can you feel the love tonight.... The scene takes place during the day... C´mon Disney you had one job.... :P
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Panpardus » July 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Granted, none of that scene in the original actually takes place at night either. It really should be something more like "Can You Feel the Love This Late Afternoon" :lol:

I liked the switch-up with having Scar attempting to get Sarabi and him putting pressure on her to do it; he seemed to have a thing for her (his first scene he makes a comment about how he only acknowledges the queen) and now I really want to see what that love triangle was like. They almost make it seem like she's the catalyst (or at least a major factor) for Scar's jealousy towards his brother, especially when when Scar says she chose Mufasa over him. Maybe Scar's not the most reliable narrator here, but does that mean that betrothed lionesses have a choice in who their king will be, or was this just a more general pairing off thing?
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby KiovuLove » July 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm

[quote="Iberian"]Well I didn´t like that they changed the reason behind Nala´s run away from the Pridelands. In the storyboards as well as in the broadway Scar tried to make Nala his queen, meanwhile in the remake Scar is more fond of Sarabi and wants her to be his queen (maybe perhaps Scar had already tried to seduce Nala, who knows...) [/quote]

I wouldn't say that her reason for leaving changed. I liked that they showed an element of scars crappy reign. He threatened them saying they eat last which adds to the element of the Hyenas being these animals who are constantly hungry and not these bumbling idiots like in the original. The hyena change gave more respect to the animal which is a good idea. Not to mention, it adds a layer of jealousy scar had for his brother that he wanted sarabi. It does what I wished they would do but instead of seducing nala, they used Sarabi which if you think about it is a bit more tasteful due to age difference. Not that real lions would care but still lol

I kind of was waiting for pumbaa to get stuck under a log but eh it's not like it was important. Just a preference since I have that scene adapted into
bookends lol
But you'll see every day

We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Postby KnyazKion » July 20th, 2019, 9:10 pm

It seems Kiara is not the firstborn child. Fluffy was a boy, again.
KnyazKion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Iberian » July 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm

[quote="KnyazKion"]It seems Kiara is not the firstborn child. Fluffy was a boy, again.[/quote]

kopa confirmed for Simba´s Pride remake :P .....

One thing that really bothered me was the disregard for the original background work. The background isn´t simply background it also plays a role in allegory and metaphorical substance, adding important messages to the story.
For example the fall in the CYFTLT was a metaphor for falling in love (cheesy but effective).
Spoiler: show

The vines symbolizes the feeling of entanglement that is felt by the lovers etc....

Another instance was the discarting of plains/rivers, in the original when Simba leaves after arguing with Nala he looks at the stars and walks across a log, the first time he only reaches to the middle and watches his reflection in the waters bellow but after chasing Rafiki he crosses it completely meaning a passage into the subconscious or the mystical world (he was unable to cross the bridge between the worlds alone).

If you notice these plains are full of stars above meaning that Simba is being looked over by the kings of the past.
Well... In the remake he argues with Nala and runs into a forest. He goes from conflict into resolution without having a soul searching moment, not how the hero´s journey works... :roll:
I get it, Jon Favreau enjoys rendering forests, however a true artist should face its own limits within the act of creation, a true artist can never be at ease working, otherwise he ceases to be an artist (he´s an artisan).

This movie was directed by people who had no grasp or understanding of the original story. The movie didn´t rock not because of the technique, the medium or the story, it didn´t rock because it had no soul.

I truly think that if the remake had Greg Drolette as the storyboard /background concept artist the movie would have been great.
Iberian

Postby Julia P » July 26th, 2019, 9:12 pm

First want to start off by saying I really liked the movie! I'd give it a 7.5/10 or maybe even an 8. I've seen it twice and want to go again.

What I liked:
Very true to the original
Stunning visually
No political trash like everything else nowadays
James Earl Jones was in it (although not nearly as good a voice as before)
The amazing intro
The fact that it made me nostalgic
Simba’s fur traveling all the way to Rafiki the way it did haha
Great voice actor choices for the most part
The final battle for Pride Rock was awesome

What I didn't like, but can live with:
Not seeing Mufasa in the sky. I was waiting for that (still was a cool scene though)
The new Beyonce song in it
No huge elephant skulls in the elephant graveyard (I guess too unrealistic)
The fact that Can You Feel the Love Tonight wasn't at night
Shenzi, Bonzai, and Ed weren’t a trio
The Be Prepared song
Timon’s voice actor
The stampede wasn’t nearly as emotional (this is a big one, and leads to the next one)
All the feels weren't as intense as the original (but hey, what do you expect? The original was perfection and hard to replicate no matter what.)

I know a lot of people complain about no facial expressions. So of course without complete facial expressions, you're not gonna get all the emotional effect. BUT they were trying to be realistic, so it's understandable. And if they HAD done facial expressions, everyone probably would’ve made fun of it for looking goofy or something.

A lot of people complained about it being so similar to the original too. I was SO happy that it was! If they changed it too much, then everyone would’ve complained that it was too different! That’s something to wrap your head around. They had the perfect blend of same and different.

I’ll never love the movie in the way I do the original. But to me it was a cool idea and fun to watch! Of course it wasn’t as great as the original. The original is so good, that even if you try to copy it, you just can’t copy it!

Thanks for reading 8-)
Julia P

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Fan since '94 and forevermore

Pride Points: 0

Next

Return to The Lion King (2019)